Run Aubrey Run! | The Boneyard

Run Aubrey Run!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From Carl's latest:

During the Huskies’ first-quarter surge, Griffin beat the Bulls’ defense down the court with Dangerfield, from halfcourt, finding her for the layup. As Griffin converted, Danger-field raised her hands in the air like she had made a 3-pointer or maybe it was like she was the quarterback of the offense.

“It was a touchdown pass!” Dangerfield said with a laugh. “In the timeout before, Coach told Aubrey to stop jogging and to run the floor. She finally ran the floor.

“And that’s what she has to do. Even if she doesn’t rebound the ball she can still beat everyone down the floor. She needs to run the floor and we can get her easy layups.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s a much different role for Aubrey. In HS Aubrey pretty much had the ball in her hands all the time, usually bringing it up court herself. Now, playing with Crystal & Anna, all she has to do is “go long”, as we used to say playing sandlot football.

With Paige & Nika on the way, Aubrey could lead the nation next year in TD receptions. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This is entertaining.

Though I doubt we'll see this in a game (similar to how Breanna Stewart only tried one dunk in a game in her career), I can't help but love to see this athleticism. More an more women are showing the capability to dunk. I don't think it will be too much longer before we see somebody do it in a game in WCBB (since Brittney Griner, I haven't heard of any in-game dunks).

Reaction Score
This is entertaining.

Good to see Evina out there in a practice uni with the team (Hard to know when this was shot, though - Megan had on different shirts for different dunks, plus different dunks had different spectator situations. ??)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s a much different role for Aubrey. In HS Aubrey pretty much had the ball in her hands all the time, usually bringing it up court herself. Now, playing with Crystal & Anna, all she has to do is “go long”, as we used to say playing sandlot football.

With Paige & Nika on the way, Aubrey could lead the nation next year in TD receptions. :rolleyes:

Has Randy Edsall contacted her?

Reaction Score
One of the reasons I love watching the Huskies is precisely because of the lack of "dunks". A great pass to a cutting player, a breakaway layup, a three pointer from way outside. I know that some people consider this "old school" but to me this is basketball at its purest. I get as excited about a dunk as I do watching someone put groceries in their car.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons I love watching the Huskies is precisely because of the lack of "dunks". A great pass to a cutting player, a breakaway layup, a three pointer from way outside. I know that some people consider this "old school" but to me this is basketball at its purest. I get as excited about a dunk as I do watching someone put groceries in their car.
We have the majestic athletic artistry of Dr. J and Michael Jordan reduced to putting groceries in a car.... Wow.

Reaction Score
I would add to these thoughts that in the NCAA's, as you get closer to the Final 4, most of the games are slower. Defense is critical but excelling at a motion offense just as important.

Reaction Score
We have the majestic athletic artistry of Dr. J and Michael Jordan reduced to putting groceries in a car.... Wow.

I think the “dunk” and the sophomoric “oohs and ahs“ and incessant replays that have become almost “cliche-ish” in the coverage of MBB are somewhat symbolic of the shift from team to the individual there, both in college and certainly in the unwatchable, at least for me, NBA. The women’s game remains primarily, for the “old school purist”, a team centric game.

Reaction Score
I think the “dunk” and the sophomoric “oohs and ahs“ and incessant replays that have become almost “cliche-ish” in the coverage of MBB are somewhat symbolic of the shift from team to the individual there, both in college and certainly in the unwatchable, at least for me, NBA. The women’s game remains primarily, for the “old school purist”, a team centric game.
It has been said that the NBA has turned into a "star's league", and that this is responsible for its enormous popularity. David Stern gets a lot of credit for this, and they do a great job of keeping the individual stars and their personal drama in the news 12 months a year via social media and obliging TV & radio sports talk gossips. May not be "purist", but the league is proactively moving in this direction because it is financially rewarding.

In all other sports, including women's sports, we appreciate outstanding athleticism. But for WBB we pooh-pooh this and favor old school purist play which excludes ultra-athletic plays? Might not be for everyone, but if the WNBA wants to survive they might be able to learn something from the NBA about fan appeal....?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well I see your point as to the one-on-one nature of MBB nowadays , but I do not necessarily associate dunking with that. James Harden is probably the worst example of this type of basketball and he's not considered a dunk artist. Conversely, MJ was and his Bulls teams of the 90s had a team-oriented concept. I marvel at a great pass, a great assist, a great block, a great dunk. It's all part of basketball...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom