Rudy Gay, Uninterrupted | The Boneyard

Rudy Gay, Uninterrupted

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Talented for sure, but not very high on my list of favorite Huskies.

Such was JC's "two and done" era with Rudy and CharlieV.

Julius Hodge got to play professionally in nine countries. I wonder if that's a record. One of those was Iran.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I always felt he was a 90%er. Hes got tons more money and talent than i do but i always felt he could have been really really special.

Reaction Score
I loved watching Rudy play, but to be honest, I think he never lived up to the potential he had.

He could have been much better. At times he seemed tentative and not as aggressive as he could have been.

With his talent, he should have taken over games. I think he left a lot on the court.

He has some of the nastiest dunks ever.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rudy had all the physical attributes to be a truly great player. Probably the best "basketball body" to attend UConn.
When watching him in person at UConn for extended periods - he took plays off and IMHO he disliked physical contact.
I saw it again this afternoon watching him on TV vs Houston. He scored the ball and offensively had a really good game. Defensively he shies away from any physical contact.
He is big and has long arms - he really has never reached his full potential. Always seemed to have a chip in his shoulders but never played mad and mean.
I hope he has a really good playoff run with Pop and the crew
I read an article about him when he went to San Antonio and he said he found it strange and a little spooky that every time he left a team they seemed to get better

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Any player that gtcam hates is a player that I love.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Julius Hodge got to play professionally in nine countries. I wonder if that's a record. One of those was Iran.

Not remotely a record. I've no doubt some guys get up into the 20s.

C

Chief00

Rudy had all the physical attributes to be a truly great player. Probably the best "basketball body" to attend UConn.
When watching him in person at UConn for extended periods - he took plays off and IMHO he disliked physical contact.
I saw it again this afternoon watching him on TV vs Houston. He scored the ball and offensively had a really good game. Defensively he shies away from any physical contact.
He is big and has long arms - he really has never reached his full potential. Always seemed to have a chip in his shoulders but never played mad and mean.
I hope he has a really good playoff run with Pop and the crew
I read an article about him when he went to San Antonio and he said he found it strange and a little spooky that every time he left a team they seemed to get better

Good points. He also changed his mind and wanted to come back per JC but was too far behind academically. I was always a little skeptical of that explanation why he couldn’t come back. But, at any rate that’s what I was told. He was a kid who love being at UConn unlike DHam.

Reaction Score
I loved watching Rudy play, but to be honest, I think he never lived up to the potential he had.

He could have been much better. At times he seemed tentative and not as aggressive as he could have been.

With his talent, he should have taken over games. I think he left a lot on the court.

He has some of the nastiest dunks ever.

This. I think youre being generous with the 90% because i thought atleast at Uconn we saw 65%. This guy had the talent to be one of the elite, of the elite players in the NBA. Im talking LeBron, KD, Harden, Davis etc level talent but he never became more than just another pretty good player. He should have dominated in college and gone on to be an all star mainstay and MVP candidate. He showed flashes but just never did. He forever will be one of the most disappointing uconn players ever. A second round exit in the tourney his freshmen year and George Mason happened on his watch. Thats his legacy at Uconn.

C

Chief00

This. I think youre being generous with the 90% because i thought atleast at Uconn we saw 65%. This guy had the talent to be one of the elite, of the elite players in the NBA. Im talking LeBron, KD, Harden, Davis etc level talent but he never became more than just another pretty good player. He should have dominated in college and gone on to be an all star mainstay and MVP candidate. He showed flashes but just never did. He forever will be one of the most disappointing uconn players ever. A second round exit in the tourney his freshmen year and George Mason happened on his watch. Thats his legacy at Uconn.

He actually had a decent game the GM game, other guys wanted to go to The League and did not give him the ball.

Reaction Score
He actually had a decent game the GM game, other guys wanted to go to The League and did not give him the ball.
And that should tell you all you need to know about how he was looked at by his teammates. You think some of the best players throughout Uconn history wouldve allowed that?

Reaction Score
Gay was a terrific player on a team of really good players. One odd thing. It often seemed whenever Rudy made one of those jaw dropping suck-the-air-out-of-the-arena dunks, it had a negative effect on the Huskies. He would defy gravity and then we would follow with a scoring drought. It was like he put us in a trance.

C

Chief00

And that should tell you all you need to know about how he was looked at by his teammates. You think some of the best players throughout Uconn history wouldve allowed that?

That’s a fair point to an extent - but other than Marcus we lacked distributors that game too. All in all, several factors working against us. Having said that - no excuse for that loss.

Reaction Score
He turned down many millions when he opted out of Sac town to play with the Spurs. FWIW.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As someone whose NBA season basically starts no earlier than the second round of the playoffs, I have barely seen Rudy since the George Mason game. After watching the Interrupted, I'm looking forwarded to checking him out and rooting for him to play well.
The essential knock on RG is that he has no rings, hasn't played in an All-Star game, and isn't on track for HoF. In short, he has 'failed at being extraordinary.' It's all over these comments. How few have ever played at his level let alone 'disappointed?'
I wish him the best.

Reaction Score

I have never gone back and re watched that game, but my thoughts have always been that the one day we needed to be riding him, we failed to do it and it cost us the game. My memory may be unclear, but it just seemed to me that he was the one player that no one had an answer for.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
If you have 90 minutes to kill the GM v Uconn game is on the MM Live app under classic games. I watched about 20 min the other night before I stopped...can’t believe we squandered that opportunity.

Reaction Score
I have never gone back and re watched that game
and you'd have to be a sadist to ever want to go back and watch it! Same with that Florida game. Two most heartbreaking losses, with San Diego close behind IMO.

Only time I would ever watch the gmason game again is maybe after uconn wins #5 and I am already super happy.

C

Chief00

I have never gone back and re watched that game, but my thoughts have always been that the one day we needed to be riding him, we failed to do it and it cost us the game. My memory may be unclear, but it just seemed to me that he was the one player that no one had an answer for.
You are correct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom