RPI v BPI | The Boneyard

RPI v BPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure I've seen this discussed on here previously, if I missed it, my apologies. Does anyone know if the BPI, whatever that is, gets any traction w the Selection Committee. Too lazy to try and understand the differences between the two, but the most shocking difference is about 30 places for UConn (higher in the BPI than RPI). Just curious if we, say, ended up in the 40s in BPI v. say, 60s or 70s in RPI if that means anything for our chances.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas.../bpi-college-basketball-power-index-explained

"BPI was not designed to predict which teams would make the field of 68, but rather which teams deserved to make the field (and where they deserved to be seeded) based on merit" (ESPN).

I guess BPI is an "all things considered" stat configuring injuries/players that missed games during loses on a team's resume. Sure a lower BPI would be great, but I do not think it holds that much traction with the committee. Hope that helps, just throwing out my two cents.

Reaction Score
BPI is ESPN's answer to KenPom, and also factors in a few additional things. Committee has access to "everything", but I doubt BPI would get much play, especially not over KenPom. Fortunately, UConn is 52 in KenPom as well. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff the committee looks at is organized by RPI, so even if they aren't looking at the straight RPI, it's influencing things.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt the committee would ever acknowledge using ESPN's proprietary ranking system.

Reaction Score
Personally BPI is a much better measure because it weighs criteria like game flow, injuries and other information that RPI doesn't. Best example of this was the Yale game from earlier this year. RPI won't consider Boatright's injury, which kept him out for most of the game, and would show it as a bad loss. BPI uses a weighted system that puts less emphasis on the outcome when a team is missing it's best player. BPI/KenPom are much better metrics than RPI, but leave it to the tournament committee to use an outdated calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom