3) Miss State
4) Lower Carolina :cool:
5) Oregon State
6) The Real Huskies (Washington) ;)
7) Duke :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
8) Texas
9) Baylor
10) Stanford

Other notables: Florida State #11, Tennessee #18, Maryland #20,Temple #23, Elon #25 :eek: @HuskyNan

UNC #106 :cool:

I suppose the tournament committee still factors in RPI in terms of selection and seeding... and I correct?

Nitty Gritty Report with Team Pages for 2016-2017 NCAA Women's College Basketball - WarrenNolan.com

t's a darn shame some unknown team--Lower Carolina sneaked in there---I personally would liked to have
seen the University of South Carolina (USC) be among the top 10. More of a shame --it may no happen next year either. Who is this lower Carolina anyway--must have a bunch of big guys.

Reaction Score
The Maryland numbers are pretty shocking. The have only played two teams in the top 25 of the RPI (UConn and L-Ville), and are 1-1 against them. They have played a total of 8 teams in the top 50 of the RPI. More than one-third of their schedule (10 out of 27) has been against teams with RPI's between 200 and 344.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Maryland numbers are pretty shocking. The have only played two teams in the top 25 of the RPI (UConn and L-Ville), and are 1-1 against them. They have played a total of 8 teams in the top 50 of the RPI. More than one-third of their schedule (10 out of 27) has been against teams with RPI's between 200 and 344.

The RPI has been just brutal on Maryland and the Big Ten this year. Arizona State (whom Maryland killed by 40) is hovering just outside the top 25 at #28, and even Ohio State has been ducking in and out of the top 25 on an almost daily basis.

Records vs. RPI top 25 / top 50 (listed in order of Feb. 6 committee reveal):
UConn 9-0 / 14-0
Baylor 6-2 / 7-2
South Carolina 5-4 / 9-4
Mississippi St 5-1 / 10-1
Florida St 4-2 / 7-4
Notre Dame 5-2 / 11-3
Oregon St 3-1 / 7-2
Stanford 2-3 / 6-3
Maryland 1-1 / 7-1
Washington 2-4 / 5-4
Texas 5-5 / 5-5
Duke 5-2 / 7-3
Louisville 2-5 / 6-6
UCLA 3-4 / 7-5​

Plebe

Reaction Score
I suppose the tournament committee still factors in RPI in terms of selection and seeding... and I correct?

And your question is motivated by a desire to see Duke ... get a 2 seed?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And your question is motivated by a desire to see Duke ... get a 2 seed?

Im really hoping that Elon can sneak into the tournament even if they dont win the Colonial. They jumped back up to #25 (they had been 31 last week)........ I kinda doubt it... but Im keeping hope alive.

That loss to Vanderbilt is gonna cost us a #2 ... unless we win the ACC tourney. Head bang I know their isnt that much of a difference between a #2 and a #3.... and I do like seeing the Duke blue uniforms as opposed to the white ones.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Im really hoping that Elon can sneak into the tournament even if they dont win the Colonial. They jumped back up to #25 (they had been 31 last week)... I kinda doubt it... but Im keeping hope alive.

That loss to Vanderbilt is gonna cost us a #2 ... unless we win the ACC tourney. Head bang I know their isnt that much of a difference between a #2 and a #3.... and I do like seeing the Duke blue uniforms as opposed to the white ones.

So you're an Elon fan, too? Even after what they did to poor Grayson?! :cool:

Hate to be the bad-news bearer, but Elon has zero chance at an at-large bid. Their high RPI will get the committee's initial attention, until they see that their only top 50 win is over Central Michigan.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What stands out to me beyond the Maryland dearth of competition is the Pac 12 records in the 'most competitive' conference - 10-12 against top 25 and 25-14 against top 50 for the four teams listed - that averages at 2.5/3 and 8.25/3.5 per team.

I also am wondering why with Maryland getting hammered by the committee for their weak schedule, why ND at RPI #2 and a comparable record to the other candidates isn't installed as a #1 seed at this point.

Plebe

Reaction Score
What stands out to me beyond the Maryland dearth of competition is the Pac 12 records in the 'most competitive' conference - 10-12 against top 25 and 25-14 against top 50 for the four teams listed - that averages at 2.5/3 and 8.25/3.5 per team.

I also am wondering why with Maryland getting hammered by the committee for their weak schedule, why ND at RPI #2 and a comparable record to the other candidates isn't installed as a #1 seed at this point.

As for the Pac-12: Sometimes the numbers mask what's really happening. In that 10-12 vs. top 25 teams, 16 of those 22 games are against each other, so obviously they went a combined 8-8 on those 16 games. The 2-4 record on the remaining 6 games breaks down as follows:
  • UW lost at Notre Dame.
  • UW beat Missouri at home.
  • Stanford beat Texas at home.
  • Stanford lost at Tennessee.
  • UCLA lost at South Carolina.
  • UCLA lost at Baylor.
Interesting that all 6 games went according to home court. No shame in losing true road games at Notre Dame, South Carolina, or Baylor. Stanford's game at Tennessee should've been winnable, but considering that Tennessee has also beaten ND and SC this season, hardly embarrassing either.

As for these four teams' record vs. RPI top 50: That 25-14 record includes the 12 losses vs. the top 25, which means these four teams have gone a combined 15-2 against teams ranked 26-50. I'd say that's not bad.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How do you like the sound of Duke vs. Washington?

That would be an entertaining matchup ............ our defense vs their offense..... I would like our chances... but I also own 3 Husky hats.... so I would have to burn them if Duke lost :(

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
To early for me to call the 4th one seed. Big games over the next 10 days plus conference tourneys will likely decide who fills that spot. It looks like UConn will have a PAC 12 opponent in the Regional. The other Huskies with Kelsey Plum or Stanford or Oregon St a possibilities.

The Selection Committee might wanna send a message to teams regarding SOS and that might make MD a 2 seed. Lets face it MD much like UConn has a weak conference however UConn scheduled Murders Row plus SC and MD didnt. That could make they a 2 seed.

The other number 1 seed is up for grabs between a bunch of teams. So we sit and wait.

Reaction Score
As for the Pac-12: Sometimes the numbers mask what's really happening. In that 10-12 vs. top 25 teams, 16 of those 22 games are against each other, so obviously they went a combined 8-8 on those 16 games. The 2-4 record on the remaining 6 games breaks down as follows:
  • UW lost at Notre Dame.
  • UW beat Missouri at home.
  • Stanford beat Texas at home.
  • Stanford lost at Tennessee.
  • UCLA lost at South Carolina.
  • UCLA lost at Baylor.
Interesting that all 6 games went according to home court. No shame in losing true road games at Notre Dame, South Carolina, or Baylor. Stanford's game at Tennessee should've been winnable, but considering that Tennessee has also beaten ND and SC this season, hardly embarrassing either.

As for these four teams' record vs. RPI top 50: That 25-14 record includes the 12 losses vs. the top 25, which means these four teams have gone a combined 15-2 against teams ranked 26-50. I'd say that's not bad.
Maryland has the best record of all the teams listed against teams ranked 25-50. It would seem to me that fact alone should put them much higher in the rankings.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maryland has the best record of all the teams listed against teams ranked 25-50. It would seem to me that fact alone should put them much higher in the rankings.

The weakness in Maryland's resume isn't in the 26-50 range, it's in the 1-25 range. Having just one top 25 win, combined with by far the lowest SOS of all the teams in the top 16, is what's keeping them from a #1 seed. Having more wins over 26-50 doesn't substitute for a deficiency of top 25 wins.

Reaction Score
The weakness in Maryland's resume isn't in the 26-50 range, it's in the 1-25 range. Having just one top 25 win, combined with by far the lowest SOS of all the teams in the top 16, is what's keeping them from a #1 seed. Having more wins over 26-50 doesn't substitute for a deficiency of top 25 wins.
I agree with you...but in the absence of comparables in the 1-25 range, my point is that they compare quite favorably with all the top ranked teams performances against 25-50 and that's a meaningful data point when comparing teams

Plebe

Reaction Score
I agree with you...but in the absence of comparables in the 1-25 range, my point is that they compare quite favorably with all the top ranked teams performances against 25-50 and that's a meaningful data point when comparing teams

You're certainly not wrong. In fact they compare quite favorably in every range of the RPI, 26-349, especially in that sub-200 range ;)

It really comes down to how the committee tends to stress quality wins and SOS as opposed to piling up wins against second- and third-tier teams.

I have a feeling that the committee will probably have Maryland at about #7 in tonight's reveal. That's still low, but it's better than #9. We shall see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're certainly not wrong. In fact they compare quite favorably in every range of the RPI, 26-349, especially in that sub-200 range ;)

It really comes down to how the committee tends to stress quality wins and SOS as opposed to piling up wins against second- and third-tier teams.

I have a feeling that the committee will probably have Maryland at about #7 in tonight's reveal. That's still low, but it's better than #9. We shall see.
ok lets look at an example. Washington is 2-4 against top 25's while MD is 1-1 , with that loss to the #1 team. Washington is 3-0 against 25-50 teams while MD is 6-0. How does that justify Washington being #6 while MD is #20. IMO, it makes zero sense.

Plebe

Reaction Score
ok lets look at an example. Washington is 2-4 against top 25's while MD is 1-1 , with that loss to the #1 team. Washington is 3-0 against 25-50 teams while MD is 6-0. How does that justify Washington being #6 while MD is #20. IMO, it makes zero sense.

So you're referencing the RPI rankings instead of the committee rankings. Those win-loss records don't explain the RPI discrepancy. The reason UW is #6 and MD is #21 is all about SOS, which accounts for 75% of the RPI formula: UW is #23 overall SOS, MD is #114.

Reaction Score
1) UCONN
2) ND
3) Miss State
4) Lower Carolina :cool:
5) Oregon State
6) The Real Huskies (Washington) ;)
7) Duke :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
8) Texas
9) Baylor
10) Stanford

Other notables: Florida State #11, Tennessee #18, Maryland #20,Temple #23, Elon #25 :eek: @HuskyNan

UNC #106 :cool:

Nitty Gritty Report with Team Pages for 2016-2017 NCAA Women's College Basketball - WarrenNolan.com

Gotta down vote your post Dukee. It's obvious you are not from UConn.
No one here would call the Washington Huskies the Real Huskies.

Me thinks you forget where you visit.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Out here there isn't any kind of question about who the real Huskies are. The bigger issue is who is the real UW. Some people in Madison, WI for some strange reason think it is them. But to avoid confusion at least half the time the NW Huskies are referred to as the Dawgs and UW is pronounced U Dub.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If you look at the Pac 12 overall, it's a down year for the conference I'm not sure there's a team -- even Washington -- that deserves a #4 seed or higher. I've watched a lot of Pac 12 games -- and they just don't pass the eye test. There have been some ugly games. They're on late here in the east, so I don't think a lot of folks watch them.

I don't think the Pac 12 teams in the NCAA Tourney will fare very well this year, unless they get some easy matchups. Mid level teams in the SEC and ACC are going to eat their lunch.

But let's look at the Pac 12 "contenders."

Outside of its conference, Washington has played only two teams in the Top 50. They beat a Mizzou team that had just come into the season losing two of its top six players to injury. Mizzou would also lose to Ga Tech and to IUPU by 28 points before righting their ship and have gone 13 – 6 since then.

Then they lost to Notre Dame. The rest of their OOC schedule? EWU, CSU, Idaho, Seattle, Portland, GCU, Fresno, CSUN,BSU, SAV, and BYU. How many of those teams have you seen play this year? And nine of their 13 games were at home.

Plum is a good player – but she takes about 45% of WA's starting team's shots – but doesn't score 45% of their points. She also plays 35 to 39 minutes against all the cupcakes Washington plays. (36 mins against Savannah State in a 41 point win, 39 mins in a 26 point win over BSU, 37 mins in a 31 point win over Fresno, 35 mins in a 52 point blowout of Idaho.. Etc. Obviously, the goal at Washington this year is to build up Plum's stats.

Stanford caught Texas early (second game) and shot 55% – and a lot of the early rankings of Pac 12 teams derived from that. Since then, Stanford has had no Top 50 OOC wins – but losses to Tenn and Gonzaga.

Oregon State is probably the next best team in the Pac 12, and their signature win, LOL, was a one-point home win against Marquette and a victory over 14 -12 OK St. I guarantee that those are the only two teams they played that you might possibly have seen play this year.

UCLA? You're kidding, right? This team is as unpredictable as Tenn. The high points in their OOC season came when they only lost by a couple touchdowns to Baylor and South Carolina. They did beat Michigan at home – but don't get me started on the Big 10 this year! Still, when they play their best game and they're on their home court, UCLA is probably the best team in the Pac 12. When they don't, and they're not, they can be very average. We'll see how they do on a neutral court in the post season. They might be the only Pac 12 team with a shot at beating a higher seeded team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom