Rothstein on Hawkins | The Boneyard

Rothstein on Hawkins

Reaction Score
LOVE to hear this, although I am not surprised. I also realize that this is Rothstein, so until we see it with our own eyes we can and should reserve judgement.

That being said, if Mr. Hawkins can come close to having the type of impact and bring to the table a similar game to Ray Allen his freshman year (and yes, I remember Ray's freshman year vividly as it was only a few years after I graduated) then this team is a legit threat to do serious things this year.

I mean challenge for the Big East title, get to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tourney and then roll the dice from there type things.

Ray's freshman year stats: 12.6 ppg / 4.6 rpg / 1/4 apg / 1 made 3-pointer per game at a 40% clip in 21.6 minutes per. Very efficient numbers.

Ok... something pretty close to that with consistency (particularly from 3) would work. Laying out the stats reminds me that Ray's freshman numbers are top 2 or 3 for a freshman at UConn ever. His greatness started to shine through even then.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This sounds exciting. The last time we heard similar rumbles it was about Bouk. How will he score the majority of his points?

Reaction Score
Very exciting to hear this. A lot of our focus is on our returning guys but Hawkins and Johnson are legitimately 1 or 2 and done players. If they can tap into that these next two years are going to be something.

Reaction Score
Ignore the Rothstein aspect of this. The coaches are leaking that they are impressed with Hawkins. He's going to play a lot.

But probably 15 minutes to start, maybe 25 minutes a game by mid December, and 30+ by season's end. The Bouknight path. Maybe he gets to 20-25 minutes a game quicker since he hopefully won't have the pre-season incident.

But keep expectations reasonable. He's still a non-top 30 freshman. He's much more likely to be a guy who shows flashes on offense, makes some shots, and plays solid defense, than someone who takes over games or is a go-to guy.

Reaction Score
He good and would be even better if we have somebody who can penetrate and pass the against elite teams. I think Jackson is our best passer from what Chief has seen in terms of creating opportunities for others.

Reaction Score
Kid has a 2 year Storrs plan… looks like right on schedule. I wonder if he can play some back up point guard duties.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think that Hawkins will be great, but if you really parse the tweet, he's saying absolutely nothing new, novel, or insightful.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rothstein and his UConn promotion, but he's just saying "Some guy I know at UConn said that our offensive ceiling will be really, really high if Jordan Hawkins contributes meaningful minutes/points"

Honestly, the same exciting & true statement could be said about Jackson, Johnson, Diggins, Floyd, Akok, Gaffney, or anyone else who hadn't made big contributions to our overall offense. ;)

Reaction Score
I was hoping for more specifics. I have no idea what his game is at this level.
Really good shooter, pretty shot. Really good from three and great in the mid-range. Good off the catch and shoot and uses jab steps and 1-2 dribble pull ups. Doesn't have a great handle yet, but it vastly improved in his year at Dematha. Quick, smooth, and very athletic...great in open court. He's a pure shooting guard, I would say he's more like a young Ray Allen (not saying he's as good) than Bouknight. Skinny like Bouknight coming into Storrs. He'll play a lot early and will be starting pretty quickly, IMO.

Only watched a few full games of him at Dematha and highlights from some other games. I think @husky429 has watched a bunch of games so he will give you his thoughts when he sees this.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I love Rothstein and his UConn promotion, but he's just saying "Some guy I know at UConn said that our offensive ceiling will be really, really high if Jordan Hawkins contributes meaningful minutes/points"
So you're saying his source is Jeff Jacobs?

Reaction Score
I was hoping for more specifics. I have no idea what his game is at this level.
From what little i know he can shoot, drive and has the midrange game. Ive been calling it that this kid will be good early and will start.

Reaction Score
Ignore the Rothstein aspect of this. The coaches are leaking that they are impressed with Hawkins. He's going to play a lot.

But probably 15 minutes to start, maybe 25 minutes a game by mid December, and 30+ by season's end. The Bouknight path. Maybe he gets to 20-25 minutes a game quicker since he hopefully won't have the pre-season incident.

But keep expectations reasonable. He's still a non-top 30 freshman. He's much more likely to be a guy who shows flashes on offense, makes some shots, and plays solid defense, than someone who takes over games or is a go-to guy.
Bouk was also a non top-30 frosh. I understand that has to do with his injury history, but I think rankings are now more based on potential rather than impact.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Jordan can get the ball in his hands the amount of time he merits he will be the team's top scorer - without a doubt
A lot depends on the PG play and if they decide to dish more than drive
Hawkins will be the best player at UConn since Bazz once his sophomore season is done

Reaction Score
Bouk was also a non top-30 frosh. I understand that has to do with his injury history, but I think rankings are now more based on potential rather than impact.
The rankings use a bunch of different criteria. It's a soup. For some guys, potential is the most important part of their rank. For some, skill. For others, current athleticism. Hawkins may have been underrated because of how he fills both the potential and shooting skill buckets, let's hope. But the rankings ARE predictive for college play. There's a drop off in likelihood of instant high level positive impact starting around #30.

Doesn't mean that outliers don't exist. Bouk was such an outlier, but still he only averaged 25 minutes and 13 points per game. Despite being an outlier and grossly under-ranked, he had only a solid impact over the full season, not an All-Conference impact (although he probably got to that level of play by the end of the season). Odds are that Hawkins will be worse as a freshman than Bouk was, even if he has a smoother start to his career and we think he's also really good. Freshmen just usually take time.

Reaction Score
If he can knock down the 3 at 40% he's going to start. Has to. He is the x factor this year

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So I reading here this guy can score the basketball. That's what we need!

Reaction Score
Very exciting to hear this. A lot of our focus is on our returning guys but Hawkins and Johnson are legitimately 1 or 2 and done players. If they can tap into that these next two years are going to be something.
Akok was ranked higher than both, wasn't he? That injury set him back a year. I think he's gonna be that pleasant surprise folks forgot about

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom