Roster named for Paraguay Friendly 3/27 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roster named for Paraguay Friendly 3/27

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hey now, USSF may not have made another stupid decision, but what are the chances they just screwed up. After all, it's the USSF!
True, but if you check you will see a lot of Internationals today. England-Italy are on FS1 at 3:00.

Reaction Score

Viewing party for tonight's friendly - ill be there in a blue AO polo if anyone wants to come have a beer (or 5) and talk soccer.

Reaction Score
True, but if you check you will see a lot of Internationals today. England-Italy are on FS1 at 3:00.
FFS, defending USSF. Regardless, Germany-Brazil was of much greater interest and both that game and ITA-ENG are easy enough to watch later.

Reaction Score
Sacharan didn't use all his subs. We're not playing a meaningful game for 15 more months. Fire him now
That really surprised me too. And 2 of the 4 subs came on after the 86th minute. He didn’t put Weah in until the 86th minute, and Roldan in 90+2 minutes (game only had 3 minutes extra time). Surprised no minutes for Erik Palmer-Brown. In a match where the W or L was really meaningless, Sacharan missed an opoortunity IMO.

Reaction Score
Sacharan didn't use all his subs. We're not playing a meaningful game for 15 more months. Fire him now
Exactly, first off, why give Weah 5 minutes? Not only is he quality, but he’s the reason a lot of people were tuning in in the first place, give him at least 20. Secondly, why not play Robinson? He’s pretty obviously our LB of the future, a position we have struggled in for as long as I can remember, coming across the pond, and he can’t even get a sub appearance? Pretty annoying. Also playing Bobby Wood as a lone striker was a questionable move, that is definitely not his strength.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
hey at least we won..?
Yea, and a few players looked decent. Better than losing a meaningless game.

Not sure why he wouldn't use his subs. Unless he was trying to pretend this game mattered.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Extended looks are better than cameos.

If you go just by what you saw Weah looked out of place. Same for Novakocich.

I thought the PK was harsh.

All around the squad looked more invested than against T&T. There is some quality and they would appear to compliment each other stylistically.

Back line outside a few gaffes looked promising. Saief had the best game IMO.

Reaction Score
but he’s the reason a lot of people were tuning in in the first place, give him at least 20. .

This is why you can't have nice things. We really want to criticize a coach for trying to win a game (even an exhibition) instead of pandering to the crowd?

If he decided it would help this young and uncapped crew to try to show them what it took to win a game, good for him. As for Weah, the U-20 World Cup he played in was within the last year. He was not anywhere close to being the best player on that team. I'd love to see him get to Pulisic level and be a key to our moving up over the next decade, but if you watched those games you would not be suprised at anyone thinking he's not there yet.

Reaction Score
Extended looks are better than cameos.

If you go just by what you saw Weah looked out of place. Same for Novakocich.

I thought the PK was harsh.

All around the squad looked more invested than against T&T. There is some quality and they would appear to compliment each other stylistically.

Back line outside a few gaffes looked promising. Saief had the best game IMO.

Barring unforseen injuries and developments, CCV and Miazga and Brooks will be our center backs for the next world cycle. And CCV and Miazga looked solid. I thought that was one of Villafana's better games for the national team. Trapp was really, really solid. I've never viewed him as a national team player but maybe he's in the 22 over the next cycle. And the player most likely to help Pulisic and McKennie from what we saw yesterday is undoubtedly Tyler Adams. Needs to keep getting better in possession but the run he made to draw the penalty was unreal. Bobby Wood looked rusty or without confidence or both, but getting him the minutes now and in the summer might can only help him in his battle to get back in the lineup next season.

Other guys did not show me they are going to be the answer. Certainly Saief is in that group. I agree he was all over the field, but he never accomplished anything with all of his possession. Delgado, while o.k., also didn't really have positive impact with the ball at his feet. And Nagbe was Nagbe -- flashing skill every so often, but then just not being impactful often enough.

We hadn't won a game since the fiasco in Trinidad. That was what -- 5 months ago. I'm fine that he decided that he wanted everyone to leave this break remembering what winning was like. If people wanted to see more of the youngsters (I was more anxious to see Moore frankly than Weah at this point), the federation should have scheduled two games. I would expect, with three games between the European season and the World Cup, you will get a look at Sarachan's view of how we should enter the next four year cycle blending old and new. Of course, it's highly unlikely his view will matter.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would expect, with three games between the European season and the World Cup, you will get a look at Sarachan's view of how we should enter the next four year cycle blending old and new. Of course, it's highly unlikely his view will matter.
I hope his view won't matter. However as a place holder, he's not been too bad. 1 win and 2 draws. Looked at a lot of young players. About what you'd want him to do.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I've come to the opinion that Nagbe has a Bedoya level ceiling, if that.

Adding Pulsic to this group should make a difference. They were all pushing forward nicely and not one was pulling the Altidore/Dempsey role of halting the ball movement. Everything was trying to be early and direct, which is how I think we should be playing.

I'd have no issue with using this back four plus Brooks as the primary defensive group for the next four years. Let someone win a spot from them.

They need to clean up the passing though. Too many balls were behind the intended recipient. Can't do that with a direct style of play.

Reaction Score

Adding Pulsic to this group should make a difference. They were all pushing forward nicely and not one was pulling the Altidore/Dempsey role of halting the ball movement. Everything was trying to be early and direct, which is how I think we should be playing.

I'd have no issue with using this back four plus Brooks as the primary defensive group for the next four years. Let someone win a spot from them.

They need to clean up the passing though. Too many balls were behind the intended recipient. Can't do that with a direct style of play.

I'd be thrilled if Nagbe ever gave us what Bedoya did. My view is that Nagbe has more ball skills but doesn't work nearly as hard or play nearly as consistently. I still believe that Bedoya and Zardes on the wings didn't get nearly enough credit for their contribution to what was overall a successful run in the South American Centennial championships.

Reaction Score

Totally forgot about the game. I just don’t think any of this matters right now.

Nagbe’s dribbles never seem to amount to anything for club or country.

Reaction Score
Totally forgot about the game. I just don’t think any of this matters right now.

Nagbe’s dribbles never seem to amount to anything for club or country.
He’s one of our only players that can consistently take people off the dribble and get by them. His end product is legitimately awful, but he creates

Reaction Score
The back line had a couple of bad slip ups. But the overall shape of the defense was very solid.

On offense we still have way too many unforced turnovers. But last light we seemed to get the ball back after the TOs. Don't know if that was because of our play or Paraguay's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom