Roster make up | The Boneyard

Roster make up

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Randy 2.0 did a wonderful job salvaging the class- addressing needs at QB, O-Line, CB and Safety. He brought in two linebackers and that was not a need. WR was not a need and obviously TE wasn't an issue. Losing Sheffield to FSU is no shame, but unfortunately, that leaves us with 2 seniors and 2 redshirt freshmen. Hopefully there are no injuries there and but moving forward we needed another RB in this class. Maybe someone shakes free and comes aboard. Also, we missed out on Green. Not sure how light we are on the DLine, but we only brought in one Nose Guard. I know we need a speed rusher - I am thinking RE moves one or two of our 7 Tight Ends to DE. Thoughts......

Reaction Score
The QB recruiting was the best for UConn in along time and needed desperately. Before Edsall arrived, the QB depth was scary.

I think LB was a definite need for this class as the existing LBs don't seem to fit the new defense. Diaco's LBs were big, but not necessarily fast and I think the focus will be on LB's with speed going forward, so we will see faster, but smaller LBs.

WR was a critical need as there were only 6 on scholarship.

As for DEs, I'm not sure what the new defense needs, but is you could find a big and fast DE, you grab them every time. That said, I think the pass rush will come from other positions like LBs and DBs.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be shocked to see quite a few position switches. Specifically, maybe a guy like Vontae Diggs could play a speed end with a few more pounds, and Eddie Hahn could play linebacker in this new scheme. We might be able to do a little bit of what we need by just shifting some roster pieces strategically. I always thought diaco was doing that wrong and just trying to get guys that looked like players to fit into certain positions (round peg, square hole).

Reaction Score
The QB recruiting was the best for UConn in along time and needed desperately. Before Edsall arrived, the QB depth was scary..

How about best ever? I think that's more appropriate... Nobody gets handed BMOC with obvious limitations to their game... Let the crème rise to the top this time around...

Reaction Score
Randy 2.0 did a wonderful job salvaging the class- addressing needs at QB, O-Line, CB and Safety. He brought in two linebackers and that was not a need. WR was not a need and obviously TE wasn't an issue. Losing Sheffield to FSU is no shame, but unfortunately, that leaves us with 2 seniors and 2 redshirt freshmen. Hopefully there are no injuries there and but moving forward we needed another RB in this class. Maybe someone shakes free and comes aboard. Also, we missed out on Green. Not sure how light we are on the DLine, but we only brought in one Nose Guard. I know we need a speed rusher - I am thinking RE moves one or two of our 7 Tight Ends to DE. Thoughts.

Did you mean WR WAS a need? We need wideouts that can get off the line, create space, and catch the ball, while creating YAC. One of the challenges to our run game is our inability to scare D coordinators with our passing game.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be shocked to see quite a few position switches. Specifically, maybe a guy like Vontae Diggs could play a speed end with a few more pounds, and Eddie Hahn could play linebacker in this new scheme. We might be able to do a little bit of what we need by just shifting some roster pieces strategically. I always thought diaco was doing that wrong and just trying to get guys that looked like players to fit into certain positions (round peg, square hole).
u beat me to it re: Diggs bro... He, to me, reminds me most of Trevardo Williams... spead off the edge.. kinda has a mean streak in him too...

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I keep saying this but I would look for AJ Garson to be moved to DE in this scheme. He's 6'7" and around 250-260 now I think. Kid has a motor and is strong. Personally, I think he would thrive there.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I keep saying this but I would look for AJ Garson to be moved to DE in this scheme. He's 6'7" and around 250-260 now I think. Kid has a motor and is strong. Personally, I think he would thrive there.
Perhaps the most interesting defensive player sitting on the redshirt shelf from last season. Excited to see what he can do.

Reaction Score
u beat me to it re: Diggs bro... He, to me, reminds me most of Trevardo Williams... spead off the edge.. kinda has a mean streak in him too...

Truth is, that this (position switch) could be said of soooo many defensive players on our roster. Half the safeties should be LB's and half the LB's should/can/might be better as DE's.

I always thought Obi should have been a LB too. He would have been a 'plus' cover LB, instead of an average to 'minus' cover Safety...imo.

Diggs
J Joseph
Hahn
Watkins
Garland
Stapleton

I think all these guys should be looked at one position "down". This doesn't work for DT, because I think ours in this scheme will be space eaters, and it leaves many current DE's without a spot ( and we have a billion of them).

Another thing is that CB and Safety might be more interchangeable in this scheme. The fact that Fortt is a projected CB leads me to believe that's the case...so we'll have to wait and see on them.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Watched RE press conference- he wanted to upgrade athleticism and speed everywhere- and felt they did that at WR. The O-Line guys have a chance at playing from a physical standpoint(an indictment of our current roster) but whether they can pick up the mental part will be just as important.

He has seen tape on returning kids. Individual meetings start this week.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
How about best ever? I think that's more appropriate... Nobody gets handed BMOC with obvious limitations to their game... Let the crème rise to the top this time around...

How long before @Palatine starts posting about why the 3rd string is the guy who should be starting? Will he wait until the spring game?

Reaction Score
Watched RE press conference- he wanted to upgrade athleticism and speed everywhere- and felt they did that at WR. The O-Line guys have a chance at playing from a physical standpoint(an indictment of our current roster) but whether they can pick up the mental part will be just as important.

Both P. and Diaco didn't look at the tape of the existing squad. They said they wanted to form their own opinions.

I thought both of them were idiots for that. Less information is not better more information.

Congrats to Edsall for looking at the video. That puts him ahead of P and D.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Both P. and Diaco didn't look at the tape of the existing squad. They said they wanted to form their own opinions.

I thought both of them were idiots for that. Less information is not better more information.

you are the only one I know who can evaluate without information or tape.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
RE said he wants 41 players on offense, 41 on defense and 3 special team scholarships. 16 offensive lineman

Reaction Score

Of course THAT is a pretty low bar.

Reaction Score
As for DEs, I'm not sure what the new defense needs, but is you could find a big and fast DE, you grab them every time.

Whatever happened to Abdoul Kouyate? He just visited last weekend and 247 hasn't updated anything on him and Twitter shows no action. I asked Schonvisky and he didn't respond.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to Abdoul Kouyate? He just visited last weekend and 247 hasn't updated anything on him and Twitter shows no action. I asked Schonvisky and he didn't respond.

Nothing... complete silence. Visited and left. No confirmation as to whether he even received an "offer". I looked around quick last night but nothing indicating if he committed somewhere else.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

I am wondering if he was offered a gray shirt or a PWO. We won't know this for a week or at the very least.

Reaction Score
Is it normal to have one kicker (Tarbutt)? Or is that not a concern since we will score so many TD's that last minute FGs won't be needed? ;)

Reaction Score

Having loyally yet painfully (last 6 years) followed the Huskies since 2002, like many of you, I am excited about the mix of recruits and new staff. in particular a couple of quotes from ED DAIGNEAULT's article in today's REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN stand out to me as evidence of the incredible fresh changes in philosophy and are reasons to believe we will be watching Way more exciting football at the Rent next fall! We've read them before but they are worth repeating because it's truly a long overdue change in philosophy.

EDSALL on OFFENSE and of course Rhett Lashlee but it's the change in Edsall approach to the game that impresses me the most.

“The game has changed,” Edsall said the day his hiring was announced. “It’s almost all predicated on spread offenses and speed. That’s what the game dictates. We’re going to be a multiple offense and we’re going to run the ball, but I think the days of running the way we did when I was here the first time, you’re probably not going to see much of that anywhere in the game anymore.”

“I’m a firm believer it all starts under center,” Edsall said. “We signed three young men who will provide tremendous competition for what we want to do. We needed to upgrade the team speed and I think we did that at wide receiver.”

BILLY CROCKER'S DEFENSE

On the defensive side, Edsall hired Connecticut native Billy Crocker to direct things. Crocker’s defenses at Villanova were, simply put, hellraisers. Crocker uses a 3-3-5 concept that puts a lot of pressure on linebackers and defensive backs. The whole plan is to use speed to blow up offenses before plays have a chance to come together.

That is a decided departure from the 4-3 defense Edsall typically employed during his first run with the Huskies. Those were some great defenses, but they were largely reliant on linemen to blow up plays and linebackers to clean up things.

Crocker’s defense is usually pure mayhem, using speed to combat speed. There are four defensive backs and two linebackers in Edsall’s recruiting class. Unlike in 1999 when Edsall said he recruited mostly athletes who could play backup roles as the Huskies made the jump up, Edsall this time tailored the recruiting class to fit the plans of his coordinators.

Reaction Score
Edsall this time tailored the recruiting class to fit the plans of his coordinators.

This is what stood out to me too. RE wasn't just signing random 3* players in a last-minute panic to make the class look respectable. He was addressing areas of need in a focused, strategic way.

Sure, you can recruit 6 TE's - even if your offense never actually calls for throwing the ball to a TE - and the recruiting services will give you "credit" for it the class rankings. But it's not going to translate into any kind of success on the field.

When you look at this class, not just in a vacuum, but in the context of our immediate needs and what the coaching staff wants to build towards, it's much much more impressive than our nominal "ranking."

Reaction Score
Is it normal to have one kicker (Tarbutt)? Or is that not a concern since we will score so many TD's that last minute FGs won't be needed? ;)
Beyond just one kicker... who is our Punter next year? I don't think we have a scholarship Punter on the roster (may be wrong about that, haven't looked too deeply). Did Tarbutt Punt in HS as well?
As excited as everyone is about OCRL, I gotta feeling we are going to need a reliable Punter to flip the field A LOT next season.

Reaction Score
Brett Graham is the punter on the roster, and yes from what I have heard Tarbutt did do some punting in High School. Also it looks like pw Mason Donaldson has been working on punting.. plus incoming freshman Te Ryan Fitton was a pretty decent punter in High School..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom