Roster for October friendlies | The Boneyard

Roster for October friendlies

Reaction Score
Dave Sarachan names 24-man USMNT roster for October friendlies

Welcome back MB90. Amon's been scoring goals in Norway. Might as well throw him and either Nova/Sargent together to see what can be.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge), Zack Steffen(Columbus Crew SC)
DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Matt Miazga (Nantes), Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic), Ben Sweat (New York City FC), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle)
MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Amon (Nordsjælland), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Julian Green (Greuther Fürth), Weston McKennie (Schalke 04), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Kenny Saief (Anderlecht), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain)
FORWARDS (3): Andrija Novakovich (Fortuna Sittard), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen), Bobby Wood (Hannover)

Reaction Score
Can't see any reason to include Bradley, except for a startling lack of warm bodies in the midfield . . . They could have given Gall a look (different type of player than MB, for sure).

Hoping that Amon and Cannon get time to see what they can offer. Sweat is an odd choice -- even if he's a "late bloomer" he's going to be on the wrong side of 30 by the next World Cup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The person I most want to see is Amon. I've never seen him play at any level, and he's obviously having a great campaign in Denmark.

Reaction Score
Bradley has no business on this roster. He hasn’t made a forward pass since he left Italy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sweat is an odd choice -- even if he's a "late bloomer" he's going to be on the wrong side of 30 by the next World Cup.
30/31 isn't that bad. And we are always on the lookout for a LB.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Need older guys so that camp is more professional and less well, day camp.

Yedlin, Mis, Brooks, LB to be named.
CCV

Three of young Midfielders,

Pulisic

Wood

Play a 4-1-3-2, give CP as much of the attacking center midfield as he can cover.

Reaction Score
Need older guys so that camp is more professional and less well, day camp.

Yedlin, Mis, Brooks, LB to be named.
CCV

Three of young Midfielders,

Pulisic

Wood

Play a 4-1-3-2, give CP as much of the attacking center midfield as he can cover.

So I assume you’ve seen how horrible Michael Bradley has been for Toronto FC this season? If his name wasn’t Michael Bradley, he wouldn’t even get sniff of the NT.

Reaction Score
30/31 isn't that bad. And we are always on the lookout for a LB.
Yeah but its not like he’s been a beast at left back in the MLS. He’s a pretty good left back at that level, really shouldn’t be on the roster ever but it is what it is.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think McKennie is closest to getting the midfield keys. We all of a sudden find ourselves short on the wing.

I like Adams too, would like to see more of Saief. No sold on Acosta and think Green is a false path.

Reaction Score
Right there with you on Kenny S as long as he can stay healthy

Reaction Score
I think McKennie is closest to getting the midfield keys. We all of a sudden find ourselves short on the wing.
I like Adams too, would like to see more of Saief. No sold on Acosta and think Green is a false path.

How about Jann George from Regensburg getting a look at wing. I wrote about him in the DFB/Bundesliga thread. There must be some reason he has the highest transfer market value among all Americans in the 2. Bundesliga. Lately he has played left wing but usually has been on the right.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
IMO, the wing spots are wide open as is striker, keeper, and left back. Holding midfield and center back will be street fights. Only CP and Yedlin can be somewhat comfortable about their spots going into qualifying and Yedlin could easily screw that up.

Play everybody and see who steps up, though I would prefer we favor guys getting time is the better leagues.

Too many player in the pool are DNP or not in the 18 on mediocre or U-23 sides. The one thing to like is a lot of the younger guys are in bigger club systems. Hopefully they can see the field in meaningful games in the next year or two.

Reaction Score
IMO, the wing spots are wide open as is striker, keeper, and left back. Holding midfield and center back will be street fights. Only CP and Yedlin can be somewhat comfortable about their spots going into qualifying and Yedlin could easily screw that up.

Play everybody and see who steps up, though I would prefer we favor guys getting time is the better leagues.

Too many player in the pool are DNP or not in the 18 on mediocre or U-23 sides. The one thing to like is a lot of the younger guys are in bigger club systems. Hopefully they can see the field in meaningful games in the next year or two.

That's why I mention George. He has started every game this year (29 last season) in the highly competitive 2. Bundesliga, scored three goals so far this year (7 last year), played both right and left wing - started out in the youth program at 1. FC Nürnberg, got called up once into the US-19 camp, but nothing since then, despite his success otherwise.

Reaction Score

I think McKennie, Pulisic and Adams are virtual locks at this point.

But 2026 is our big chance. 2022 is like an exhibition.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think McKennie, Pulisic and Adams are virtual locks at this point.

But 2026 is our big chance. 2022 is like an exhibition.

You don't think Mckennie and Adams are competing for the same spot?

Unless we play a 4-2-3-1 I think they might be. Neither looks all that comfortable wide in the games I've seen them play.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Full recovery?
Sorta. I think that was around the last time I played on a team. I was in my 40's. Seemed like a good time to hang them up.

I still ref now in my mid 50's, and "that" doesn't bother me. Knees, feet, back, yea they bother me, but not the calf. Took awhile to build it back up. You could see the hole where the muscle tore. Kinda weird looking.

When it happened felt like someone had thrown a rock or battery or something and hit me in the back of my leg.

Reaction Score
Sorta. I think that was around the last time I played on a team. I was in my 40's. Seemed like a good time to hang them up.

I still ref now in my mid 50's, and "that" doesn't bother me. Knees, feet, back, yea they bother me, but not the calf. Took awhile to build it back up. You could see the hole where the muscle tore. Kinda weird looking.

When it happened felt like someone had thrown a rock or battery or something and hit me in the back of my leg.

I torn my left one once, too, in my late 30's. Got late to the game due to work and did not stretch enough. Beat a guy 1v1 coming at me and when I spun around him to explode at the ball to start a counter, I just felt it 'pop.' Looked down and I appeared to have 2 calf muscles. Took about 1 month of wrapping it and ibuprofen before I could walk OK again and about 3 before I was running again. That said, Pulisic I am sure has a very good medical staff to help him and, unlike me, does not need to worry about a day job interfering with his soccer career.

Reaction Score
You don't think Mckennie and Adams are competing for the same spot?

Unless we play a 4-2-3-1 I think they might be. Neither looks all that comfortable wide in the games I've seen them play.

No. I see Adams as a 6 and Weston as a box to box 8. One of the problems with Weston at Schalke is that he has no set position yet.

Reaction Score
McKennie is now off the fall roster due to an injury. Marky Delgado from Toronto has replaced him

McKennie pulls out of U.S. squad with injury

A lot of injries this fall. I woudl be a bit worried knowing that important games will be arriving in the Spring; but, since the USMNT doesn't even have a manager yet...

Reaction Score
McKennie is now off the fall roster due to an injury. Marky Delgado from Toronto has replaced him

McKennie pulls out of U.S. squad with injury

A lot of injries this fall. I woudl be a bit worried knowing that important games will be arriving in the Spring; but, since the USMNT doesn't even have a manager yet...

When you have the chance to call up a mediocre midfielder from a team that missed the MLS playoffs, you take that chance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bradley has no business on this roster. He hasn’t made a forward pass since he left Italy.

But he gets his backward passes to teammates at an almost 90% completion rate. Only 10% lead to an opposition opportunity. How can you not play a guy like that? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom