Roster churn season | The Boneyard

Roster churn season

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm hearing that the big Mora driven roster reshaping is underway this week. Lots of kids that are graduating with remaining eligibility wont be asked to return.

Too early to put details out there. Maybe some of it comes out this week or maybe it wont until after Houston.

Of course this is somewhat BAU in college football as the final game/final home game is often a moment of decision time for honoring graduates.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes they are in the process of meeting this week and telling the kids mostly redshirt juniors weather they want them back or not. Mora is not wasting any time

I would hope if RE were still coach these conversations would also being had this week.

Only fair to give the kids a chance to walk on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Yes they are in the process of meeting this week and telling the kids mostly redshirt juniors whether they want them back or not. Mora is not wasting any time.. this is always the week of doom for the boys being told to look elsewhere if they still want to play.

Reaction Score
I'm hearing that the big Mora driven roster reshaping is underway this week. Lots of kids that are graduating with remaining eligibility wont be asked to return.

Too early to put details out there. Maybe some of it comes out this week or maybe it wont until after Houston.

Of course this is somewhat BAU in college football as the final game/final home game is often a moment of decision time for honoring graduates

This begs the question on the maximum limit rule for one class. Are we still limited to 25 or has that rule changed?

Reaction Score
This begs the question on the maximum limit rule for one class. Are we still limited to 25 or has that rule changed?
Don’t forget that the new staff gets additional slots to fill this year depending on transfers from program:

Under the NCAA’s one-year rule, schools can sign a recruiting class of 25 student-athletes, plus one additional spot for each scholarship player that enters the portal; however, the additional spots are capped at seven. For example, if a school loses two players to the transfer portal, it gains two spots in its recruiting class and can sign 27 high schoolers, rather than 25. If a school loses ten players to the transfer portal, it can only gain the maximum of seven spots, so the recruiting class may expand to 32 new signees.”

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its been approved that they can now take up to 25 new kids per annum + additional 7 for kids lost to outbound transfers. This is a one year rule, but I expect it will be approved again in some form for 2023 and beyond.

from Medic's link above:

Under the NCAA’s one-year rule, schools can sign a recruiting class of 25 student-athletes, plus one additional spot for each scholarship player that enters the portal; however, the additional spots are capped at seven. For example, if a school loses two players to the transfer portal, it gains two spots in its recruiting class and can sign 27 high schoolers, rather than 25. If a school loses ten players to the transfer portal, it can only gain the maximum of seven spots, so the recruiting class may expand to 32 new signees.

Reaction Score
Its been approved that they can now take up to 25 new kids per annum + additional 7 for kids lost to outbound transfers.

Wow, so we can probably expect a plus 30 class. Time to get busy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
People who get mad at players/recruit who leave when a coaching change happens need to understand this side of the story. You can wind up without a school if you don’t take action.

Reaction Score
Exit 4, can you remind me/ us how many slots we had before the convos this week. With 20 being a do- over for all, I’m thinking we’ve got to be near 85 now. I was expecting a small class - even with churn, <25-30.

Thanks

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Exit 4, can you remind me/ us how many slots we had before the convos this week. With 20 being a do- over for all, I’m thinking we’ve got to be near 85 now. I was expecting a small class - even with churn, <25-30.

Thanks
I think we have two unused scholarships right now with Medlock in the portal. We have ten kids in their final year of eligibility. I hear they are making room in a way to have far more than 2+10. Making room in a way to bring us up closer to a class of 25.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
People who get mad at players/recruit who leave when a coaching change happens need to understand this side of the story. You can wind up without a school if you don’t take action.

Or a scholarship.

Reaction Score
I would hope if RE were still coach these conversations would also being had this week.

Only fair to give the kids a chance to walk on Saturday.

Tough times ahead for folks involved... I just hope whatever happens, these kids land on their feet somewhere... Finish their playing careers on a high note...
Even without a coaching change, many staffs will tell fourth year redshirt juniors that their scholarship won't be a renewed for a 5th year just because the coach thinks the schollie can be put to better use. This is just how it is.

Reaction Score
For some guys, a well respected university degree, potential networking connections via Andy Baylock and others, and moving on to a first employment opportunity and ideally a successful, rewarding life. Not the worst scenario. Congrats and good luck to all of the graduating players.

Reaction Score
1637610071785.gif

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Even without a coaching change, many staffs will tell fourth year redshirt juniors that their scholarship won't be a renewed for a 5th year just because the coach thinks the schollie can be put to better use. This is just how it is.

Correct. And I hope those conversations started before this week.

Like any good organization you should have some form of mid-year review and expectations going forward. For football I'm thinking end of season to set offseason expectations for improvement, post-spring, post fall and maybe mid season. doesn't have to be with HC directly but at a minimum position coaches and coordinators.

A fourth year RS has had three seasons to play and four years to work towards a degree. That's a fair handshake.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Transfer portal, JUCO, and seniors while talking to juniors and Sophomores by sending out letters and inviting them to events.

Time to tear down and rebuild

Reaction Score
We only have 2 Red Shirt Juniors listed on the roster because of the extra year of eligibility granted by NCAA. Am I correct to assume that anyone that has been here for 4 years may not be asked to come back even if they have 2 more years of eligibility?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Am I correct to assume that anyone that has been here for 4 years may not be asked to come back even if they have 2 more years of eligibility?

Correct, although I think there are some that have been asked not to return who have been here less than 4 years.

We'll have to see what the final list is and keep in mind, not every that departs in the coming weeks wasn't asked back, some are just leaving on their own volition.

Reaction Score

Of course this is somewhat BAU in college football as the final game/final home game is often a moment of decision time for honoring graduates.

As long as he thinks he can replace them with better players for next season (since they in most cases will only have one more year anyway), I'm fine with that. The job he has been given is way too hard to tie his hands in any manner that prevents him from doing what the Syracuses, Pitts and Rutgers are doing.

Reaction Score
Correct, although I think there are some that have been asked not to return who have been here less than 4 years.

We'll have to see what the final list is and keep in mind, not every that departs in the coming weeks wasn't asked back, some are just leaving on their own volition.
Thanks. It will be interesting in light of the fact that we are playing so many underclassmen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom