Roster Chart - Mid June 2018 update | The Boneyard

Roster Chart - Mid June 2018 update

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I've updated my roster tracker. I've assumed Donaldson is on scholarship beginning this fall.

I don't plan to drop the 2017 senior class/transfer list until December when it can be replaced with the 2018 graduating/departing players. I figure some of us might find it like to have it up for a quick reference during the course of this fall when we try to remember who did what last year.

Reaction Score
I've updated my roster tracker. I've assumed Donaldson is on scholarship beginning this fall.

I don't plan to drop the 2017 senior class/transfer list until December when it can be replaced with the 2018 graduating/departing players. I figure some of us might find it like to have it up for a quick reference during the course of this fall when we try to remember who did what last year.

You are straight up awesome man.
Thanks for the guide.
Great work

Reaction Score
Everytime I look at our DLine, Linebackers, and DBs roster I be like:

giphy.gif

Could be a long year...

Reaction Score
Everytime I look at our DLine, Linebackers, and DBs roster I be like:

giphy.gif

Could be a long year...

I agree, especially on the DL and at LB. That said, our defenses have been dreadfully slow. I have little doubt Edsall is addressing that. I suspect we’re probably a season away from having a competent defense.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Although it’s too early to make projections on paper, the defense will be all about the ability of select true freshman to perform. A strong start by guys like Travis Jones, Pierce DeVaughn up front is a must. A guy like Keyshawn Paul needs to come in a play with a physicality we used to see from Uconn corners. A guy like Morrison needs to show his athleticism out of the gate at safety and someone like Webb or K Jones will have deliver some play making ability at LB.

The optimist’s view on D:
-freshman DL + Fines + C. Thomas surprise us
-revamped LB corp actually plays faster (we did not look fast last year)
-corners play improves because it really couldn’t get worse (rewatch a game from last year- it really couldn’t get worse). I think some of the true freshman might surprise.
-coyle and fortt seem to have a lead to hold the safety positions - all the reps over the past 6 months will have to result in better play.

I know all the reasons to doubt this D. For this morning I thought I would attempt an opposite point of view.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Although it’s too early to make projections on paper, the defense will be all about the ability of select true freshman to perform. A strong start by guys like Travis Jones, Pierce DeVaughn up front is a must. A guy like Keyshawn Paul needs to come in a play with a physicality we used to see from Uconn corners. A guy like Morrison needs to show his athleticism out of the gate at safety and someone like Webb or K Jones will have deliver some play making ability at LB.

-corners play improves because it really couldn’t get worse (rewatch a game from last year- it really couldn’t get worse). I think some of the true freshman might surprise.
-coyle and fortt seem to have a lead to hold the safety positions - all the reps over the past 6 months will have to result in better play.

I know all the reasons to doubt this D. For this morning I thought I would attempt an opposite point of view.
If the incoming frosh are the best we have, that is a great sign for the future. Not for this fall. Ill be ok with 3-9 if there are signs of hope for 2019. 4+ wins and I’ll be so happy I won’t be able to see straight.

Reaction Score
I expect the coaching of the defense to improve significantly and I also expect some scheme changes/tweaks to the defense. I also expect our speed/talent at LB to be much improved.

Reaction Score
I expect the coaching of the defense to improve significantly and I also expect some scheme changes/tweaks. I also expect our speed/talent at LB to be much improved.
Honestly I have hope for that, but I reserve judgement until I see them on the field in August/September. I do expect them to be better at the end of the season compared to the beginning though.

Reaction Score
If the incoming frosh are the best we have, that is a great sign for the future. Not for this fall. Ill be ok with 3-9 if there are signs of hope for 2019. 4+ wins and I’ll be so happy I won’t be able to see straight.
Anyone know what the season sack record is for a UConn freshman, and if it was set by a lineman or a linebacker?

Reaction Score

Good to see an optimist for a change. Knowing what I know and what I have heard coach say, I'm not so sure Dixon is #2 on the depth chart by mid season.
As for the freshman on defense, of Webb, KJones, TJones, and DeVaughn, at least two are starters by seasons end. I also expect Coyle to have a great sophomore season. HCRE is expecting big things from him.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Good to see an optimist for a change. Knowing what I know and what I have heard coach say, I'm not so sure Dixon is #2 on the depth chart by mid season.
As for the freshman on defense, of Webb, KJones, TJones, and DeVaughn, at least two are starters by seasons end. I also expect Coyle to have a great sophomore season. HCRE is expecting big things from him.
It was tempting to get a little crazy with the depth chart, but I tried to balance seniority with projected talent. I agree, it will certainly be a different chart by mid season and the last game. Some of the incumbents will be replaced.

Reaction Score
Oh I’m an optimist. But I’m also a realist. Unless we have Alabama’s recruiting class coming in, the young pups will need to develop some before reaching their full potential. When that happens, I see us challenging for the AAC title. That will not be this year.

Having said that, UCF when from 0-12 to 6-6? to 13-0 in two years. So I definitely have hope for the not so distant future.

Reaction Score
Regarding the D, what is the consensus (if there is one). Is the ex-Hurricane likely to start?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh I’m an optimist. But I’m also a realist. Unless we have Alabama’s recruiting class coming in, the young pups will need to develop some before reaching their full potential. When that happens, I see us challenging for the AAC title. That will not be this year.

Having said that, UCF when from 0-12 to 6-6? to 13-0 in two years. So I definitely have hope for the not so distant future.

I think we will be more athletic, but we’re just going to be so young this season on defense. Honestly, we haven’t had playmakers at LB since Sio and Yawin left. Edsall will change this, but we are at least a season away.

Reaction Score
It's going to be fun to watch K. Jones, Webb, Gardner, E. Thomas, Hahn, Beavers all grow as LB's. Add in Harris and a couple other freshman next year and we'll be on the cusp of breaking out at that position next season.

Reaction Score
I think we will be more athletic, but we’re just going to be so young this season on defense. Honestly, we haven’t had playmakers at LB since Sio and Yawin left. Edsall will change this, but we are at least a season away.
So I guess you think all the freshman we had in the defensive backfield last year learned nothing. Quite the contrary, I think our defensive backfield will be much improved. Edsall has hinted at that as well.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So I guess you think all the freshman we had in the defensive backfield last year learned nothing. Quite the contrary, I think our defensive backfield will be much improved. Edsall has hinted at that as well.
With respect to all returning players in the defensive backfield, I saw nothing over the course of last season to give confidence to this season. It would not surprise me if many of them are surpassed freshman at season end. Of the returning DBs, Fortt to me does show some physical ability and Coyle on paper is fast. Not sure much more positive can be said about the rest of the returning squad until we see what they show us Aug 30th. I always be routing for our guys, but I have to balance it with what I see. The first month will be prove it or the freshman take over.

Reaction Score

I didn’t infer that at all. I simply stated we will be very young and that I think we’re a season away from fielding a good defense.

Reaction Score
With respect to all returning players in the defensive backfield, I saw nothing over the course of last season to give confidence to this season. It would not surprise me if many of them are surpassed freshman at season end. Of the returning DBs, Fortt to me does show some physical ability and Coyle on paper is fast. Not sure much more positive can be said about the rest of the returning squad until we see what they show us Aug 30th. I always be routing for our guys, but I have to balance it with what I see. The first month will be prove it or the freshman take over.
The problem with last year's freshman in the defensive backfield was two fold. One.......no experience at a position that for a defensive player maybe the hardest position to master.......Two.......they were overwhelmed by passing attacks and opposing QB's who had time for coffee on every down.

Bolstering the defensive line is paramount this year, it will be improved but by how much is the big question since DeVaughn and the Jones Bros are untested. Even a slight improvement in the d line will pay dividends in the backfield and on the scoreboard.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The problem with last year's freshman in the defensive backfield was two fold. One..no experience at a position that for a defensive player maybe the hardest position to master..Two..they were overwhelmed by passing attacks and opposing QB's who had time for coffee on every down.

Bolstering the defensive line is paramount this year, it will be improved but by how much is the big question since DeVaughn and the Jones Bros are untested. Even a slight improvement in the d line will pay dividends in the backfield and on the scoreboard.

But sometimes you have to recognize when you recruited or inherited the wrong guys.
Coaching, conditioning and experience isnt assured to create winners if the talent isn’t there. We will find out this fall.

Reaction Score
But sometimes you have to recognize when you recruited or inherited the wrong guys.
Coaching, conditioning and experience isnt assured to create winners if the talent isn’t there. We will find out this fall.
Are you saying that to me or to HCRE in response to what he says in the link I provided?

“The sky is the limit for Tyler. He’s a very talented athlete, explosive,” Edsall said. “And he’s a little bit more comfortable this year. He has the chance, in my opinion, to be a very good player. He should be a leader for us, one of those guys people stay from instead of attacking. He minds his own business, just works. I’m expecting big things from him. He’s quiet to, at least around us.”

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Are you saying that to me or to HCRE in response to what he says in the link I provided?

“The sky is the limit for Tyler. He’s a very talented athlete, explosive,” Edsall said. “And he’s a little bit more comfortable this year. He has the chance, in my opinion, to be a very good player. He should be a leader for us, one of those guys people stay from instead of attacking. He minds his own business, just works. I’m expecting big things from him. He’s quiet to, at least around us.”

Edsall is going to be motivational in different ways where he sees fit. That’s what I read here. Plus Coyle came in here with the hype as being one of the fastest track guys in the state so he should be showing us something. Coyle is one guy; Swenson, Terry, Herring and Fortt are the others returning that saw playing time that have a ton to prove.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom