Roster Attrition (Jim Fuller) | The Boneyard

Roster Attrition (Jim Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/

>>UConn has 13 commitments and there are 12 seniors on scholarship on the current roster. However, fullback Jazzmar Clax (a redshirt junior) took part in Senior Day festivities before the home finale against Houston indicating that he won't be with the team after this season. Junior receiver Dhameer Bradley already announced via his Twitter account that he is transferring to Sacred Heart. Bradley is one of four players (three on scholarship) no longer on the UConn roster. I was able to confirm that safety Jordan Floyd, offensive lineman Zach Rugg and walk-on linebacker Jack Dexter are no longer a part of the program. Among that group, Floyd is the player who saw the most time this season as he played in eight games and finished with five tackles including two in the win over Army. Rugg was on the participation for the season opener against Villanova.<<

Reaction Score
Losing a safety and an O lineman is not the best of situations for the attrition, but I guess it's been known since Floyd and Rugg aren't even listed on the UConn website roster (Clax still is). Going to be very young at the S position next year.

Reaction Score
I really don't think any of these has any impact at all for next year. Floyd was mostly a special teams player. He's the most significant. I would be surprised if Rugg is the only OLineman who left with eligibility remaining this year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I really don't think any of these has any impact at all for next year. Floyd was mostly a special teams player. He's the most significant. I would be surprised if Rugg is the only OLineman who left with eligibility remaining this year.

I have high expectations that Garland and Marshe Terry will step up in that secondary next year.

Reaction Score
It's pretty typical that RS Juniors that aren't playing that much, like Clax, Rugg, and Floyd don't get asked back for a 5th year.

Reaction Score

Agreed, just a depth and experience perspective, that only leaves Marder and Melifonwu as the upperclassmen at the safety position, Obi still scares me back there sometimes and Marder is good in spot duty, I would like a couple more upperclassmen back there but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Agreed, just a depth and experience perspective, that only leaves Marder and Melifonwu as the upperclassmen at the safety position, Obi still scares me back there sometimes and Marder is good in spot duty, I would like a couple more upperclassmen back there but it is what it is.
Barring attrition to the position in future seasons, by 2017-2018 the position should be deep with upperclassmen. But, yes I know this doesn't solve the problem next year. Maybe a McAllister can switch spots or a RS Frosh or Soph steps up in a big way. Just look at the leap Summers took in his true Sophomore season. Let's hope for some more of the same from someone else.

Reaction Score
I had hopes that Rugg and Floyd would contribute, but we saw little of either so one can not blame them if they want to see action somewhere.

If I were a S, I would be on the look out for Hahn. I know he is in HS, but I believe he has the size and skills HCBD is looking for and has little in front of him.

Regardless, I would certainly look to continue to add depth to both back of D and front of O.

Reaction Score
gioff23 said:
I had hopes that Rugg and Floyd would contribute, but we saw little of either so one can not blame them if they want to see action somewhere.

If I were a S, I would be on the look out for Hahn. I know he is in HS, but I believe he has the size and skills HCBD is looking for and has little in front of him.

Regardless, I would certainly look to continue to add depth to both back of D and front of O.

If Hahn is playing big minutes at safety, we are in trouble. One of the toughest positions to transition from high school to college.

Reaction Score
If Hahn is playing big minutes at safety, we are in trouble. One of the toughest positions to transition from high school to college.

^This, which is why I felt having another guy with some seasoning would help next year.

Reaction Score
It's pretty typical that RS Juniors that aren't playing that much, like Clax, Rugg, and Floyd don't get asked back for a 5th year.

Sometimes the school doesn't want to spend a scholly on their 5th year. Sometimes they want to see playing time from scrimmage their last year, even if it's at a lower level.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I thought Marder looked goo in spots this year and I wonder if McAllister gets a look at safety. looks to be a good athlete.
Marder should be a serviceable backup but I expect to see a couple of the young pups impress in the secondary. It's easier when you have Obi and our CB's helping you grow.

Reaction Score
I thought Marder looked goo in spots this year and I wonder if McAllister gets a look at safety. looks to be a good athlete.
My thinking as well. Just remember when Tyvon Branch moved from corner to Safety. Maybe from college to NFL, but could be a fit. I mentioned this in another thread/

Reaction Score
If you are a RS junior that hasn't graduated in 4 years, do the new NCAA rules provide you the 5th year or is that at the option of the school? If not, kinda sucks for the player, as so many players are red-shirted as freshman.

Reaction Score
Hope these kids end their playing careers on a high note, on the playing field somewhere. They didnt come to Storrs to sit the bench. Best of luck to them.

Reaction Score

Least we forget redshirt Anthony Watkins is still here. Plus the redshirts come of the frosh from this season in our defensive backfield. MARSHE Terry, walkon Chris Jean-Pierre and potentially Garland or Robinson IV, who are currently projected CBs, so Hahn I don't think will see immediate playing time. I do believe we probably need another DB in this class though.

Reaction Score
McAllister, to me, is the wildcard here. I could see him getting moved back to offense to help out with RB depth or being moved to Safety. It'd be nice to see him move to SS and foll Andrews spot, if he is able to. You get a little more speed and physicality from him I'd imagine.

Reaction Score
McAllister, to me, is the wildcard here. I could see him getting moved back to offense to help out with RB depth or being moved to Safety. It'd be nice to see him move to SS and foll Andrews spot, if he is able to. You get a little more speed and physicality from him I'd imagine.

Given that we still have 3 TBs that were ahead of him, barring injuries I don't see him moving back to offense. However, given that we return not just our starting CBs but our back-ups as well, I absolutely could see him being moved to Safety.

Reaction Score
I had hopes that Rugg and Floyd would contribute, but we saw little of either so one can not blame them if they want to see action

Rugg should be eligible for 2 years of playing if he petitions for it. The kid didnt see any playing time 2014 as well as this year.

Reaction Score
Rugg should be eligible for 2 years of playing if he petitions for it. The kid didnt see any playing time 2014 as well as this year.

What? Why would he get a 6th year if he wasn't hurt?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you are a RS junior that hasn't graduated in 4 years, do the new NCAA rules provide you the 5th year or is that at the option of the school? If not, kinda sucks for the player, as so many players are red-shirted as freshman.

You can drop to FCS and play.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I attended every home game and Claxx is the only dude I knew about . Addition by subtraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom