Rose Bowl Dead? | The Boneyard

Rose Bowl Dead?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What are the odds the Rose Bowl survives? Hard to see the PAC being interested in playing the B1G.

Reaction Score
How many times were common sense football ideas (an oxymoron?) tabled or scrapped—all because the B1G and Pac12 insisted on retaining their Rose Bowl alliance. This move by USC/UCLA puts an end to that. There’s no way network partners will allow that valuable Rose Bowl time slot to ever again be filled with a matchup of unlikely “cinderella” B1G/Pac12 conference winners. Romanticized traditions no longer matter. It’s all about marquee names

Reaction Score
In the traditional sense of it being The B1G v. Pac on January 1st. Yeah that's done. It will still probably be kept going as a destination for both the playoff and NY6 Games.

Reaction Score
The Rose Bowl has been so haughty for so long, and been such an impediment to things, I kind of like seeing it destroyed. And make no mistake, it is destroyed. A USC vs. Oregon Rose Bowl New Year's Day is a loser. LOL.

Reaction Score
The Rose Bowl could have been the champion of the playoffs with his huge size, relatively great weather and location and great history. Instead they just wanted to stick to tradition and the money they thought they would be making by continuing. Now it looks like the biggest loser compared to the other NY6 bowls.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The Rose Bowl May morph into the B1G Championship Game.

Saw that floated by a Michigan podcast. The Big10 would have to include more PAC schools, IMO. Watching OSU vs Iowa every year would kill it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Rose Bowl May morph into the B1G Championship Game.
That wouldn't be The Rose Bowl, it would be just another game played in the Rose Bowl. Like when I saw the LA Galaxy with Cobi Jones play there.

Reaction Score
That wouldn't be The Rose Bowl, it would be just another game played in the Rose Bowl. Like when I saw the LA Galaxy with Cobi Jones play there.
If the playoffs morph into conference playoffs between the B1G and SEC, with the winners playing for the national championship, the B1G Championship and SEC Championship would become national semifinals by default. The B1G would have the Rose Bowl and the SEC would have the Sugar Bowl.

Reaction Score
If the playoffs morph into conference playoffs between the B1G and SEC, with the winners playing for the national championship, the B1G Championship and SEC Championship would become national semifinals by default. The B1G would have the Rose Bowl and the SEC would have the Sugar Bowl.
That's what I'm envisioning at the end of all this. B1G and $EC end up with 4 divisions of 5 or 6 teams, 10 conference games in which you play the other 4 teams in your division and 2 teams from each of the other 3 divisions in a round robin manner. That leaves 2 out of conference games, a tune up game for week 1 and then maybe a bigger out of conference matchup later in the season. At the end of the season you have a bye week, then the 4 division champs face off against each other to produce 2 winners to face off in the conference championship game the winner of which would face the other conference's champion for the de facto national championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom