Rose and Southington's Loss to Darien 49 to 7 | The Boneyard

Rose and Southington's Loss to Darien 49 to 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A tough loss for Southington and for Jasen Rose, but still there were very positive signs for UConn. This quote (source Jacobs, Hartford Courant) says it all:

"It was crazy", Evanchick said. It was like chasing around a rabbit. We had a tough time bringing him down. There was nothing to grab onto. It's a struggle to get a hold of him. What we tried to do is collapse on him...Oh my God , he is the hardest quarterback I ever had to bring down," "He is very shifty. He is very good in the pocket. He is going to be a great college player."

Reaction Score
Southington had not seen a defense like Darien's all season. I was impressed with the way that Darien's DB's covered Southington's wideouts. That & the constant pressure on Rose by Darien's defensive front basically shut down the Blue Knight air attack. a great performance.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's stuff like this that makes me wary of CT recruits. It's not their fault, but it causes me to temper expectations. The school you play for matters, a lot.

Reaction Score
It's stuff like this that makes me wary of CT recruits. It's not their fault, but it causes me to temper expectations. The school you play for matters, a lot.
Um why? It's other ct kids he was playing against.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Agree to an extent.

I like the fact he is leaving HS hungry - off a loss.

Reaction Score
After Southington had such a tough time with Cheshire on Thanksgiving
They became somewhat suspect.
Cheshire scored 28 pts on them.
By comparison Cheshire lost to 3 SCC teams being bashed rightfully as having off years by scores of:
Hand 14-0
Prep. 30-13
Xavier 42-9
They also were blown out by good Norte Dame and West Haven teams
They didn't play the two best SCC teams
Shelton
North Haven

Reaction Score
A huge problem is that the schools are too small with too few really good players at each school. So it is exceptionally difficult to evaluate. And teams are seldom that sophisticated on either side of the football. I've used this example before but my nephews school in Miami had 6 guys from the defense sign 1a letters a couple of years ago. You run for 100 yds or throw cow 300 against that crowd and you've shown something. You do it against Enfield and it is a big maybe. (Ps I don't know if Southington played Enfield but I just picked a name)

Reaction Score
Darien has some big kids up front. The son of a very good friend of mine starts at DT for them as a Jr...he had 2 sacks last night...he is 6-2 300...dropped down from 310 to gain some quickness. Then you have Evanchick who many down here say is a lot better player than Zach Allen was ...and they also have a big OL who is in the 6-3 300+ range who has an offer from BC. They are big, and they all work out year-round when they aren't playing another sport (Evanchick is going to Penn to play Lacrosse). Some of these kids go to Ben Prentiss's gym (he is the guy all the NHL players train with) and are in very good shape and pretty strong.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I get that it's in the heat of the moment that Evanchick was quoted by the Courant, but he didn't come off so well in Jacobs' article. They're just high school kids and I'm sure I've said some dumb things back when I was playing high school sports, but it's so much better when someone both wins and loses with grace.

Reaction Score
Darien has some big kids up front. The son of a very good friend of mine starts at DT for them as a Jr...he had 2 sacks last night...he is 6-2 300...dropped down from 310 to gain some quickness. Then you have Evanchick who many down here say is a lot better player than Zach Allen was ...and they also have a big OL who is in the 6-3 300+ range who has an offer from BC. They are big, and they all work out year-round when they aren't playing another sport (Evanchick is going to Penn to play Lacrosse). Some of these kids go to Ben Prentiss's gym (he is the guy all the NHL players train with) and are in very good shape and pretty strong.

LOL. You don't drop from 310 to 300 to gain quickness. That's just a rounding error waiting for your next meal.

Reaction Score
LOL. You don't drop from 310 to 300 to gain quickness. That's just a rounding error waiting for your next meal.
Well it worked...he dropped his shuttle times working with his trainer.....

Reaction Score
Depends on the player. Tiki Barber was much quicker at 200 than at 210. Of course, the Darien kid could have dropped the weight because he was working on his shuttle. It's not an exact science.

Reaction Score
A huge problem is that the schools are too small with too few really good players at each school.

Some CT high schools absolutely yes, such as Derby, Ansonia, etc. Southington has 2,400 students, Miami Northwestern for example has 1,600. At that size, its more of an issue where a given school can pull kids in from. For example, the school district I live in in Jersey can pull in kids from 3 different towns and that's it. One high school won the state district championship and the other lost in the semi-finals. Both good teams. They would still get crushed by the Jersey Catholics, such as Don Bosco who just as 900 boys, because they pull in kids as far north as Middletown NY, east to NYC, west to Morris County and South to Elizabeth.

Reaction Score
The problem is that most are relatively small and tied to town boundaries (Berlin excluded). The football coach is a moonlighting English teacher. Good players tend to be scattered among many schools so they rarely compete against each other never mind practice against each other. Xavier and a few others who draw from a larger area can often get more guys with college potential which sometimes makes then look better than they are too. A pretty good back running behind aeven s future d2 tackle will look better than the same guy running behind a guy who won't set foot on a gridiron after his last high school game. Makes it harder to evaluate kids and even talented guys tend to be a little behind in development.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Southington had not seen a defense like Darien's all season. I was impressed with the way that Darien's DB's covered Southington's wideouts. That & the constant pressure on Rose by Darien's defensive front basically shut down the Blue Knight air attack. a great performance.
Coach i live town also, gotta say their schedule was very very soft, best team may have been glastonbury

Reaction Score
The problem is that most are relatively small and tied to town boundaries (Berlin excluded). The football coach is a moonlighting English teacher. Good players tend to be scattered among many schools so they rarely compete against each other never mind practice against each other. Xavier and a few others who draw from a larger area can often get more guys with college potential which sometimes makes then look better than they are too. A pretty good back running behind aeven s future d2 tackle will look better than the same guy running behind a guy who won't set foot on a gridiron after his last high school game. Makes it harder to evaluate kids and even talented guys tend to be a little behind in development.
For the uninformed, only one of those supposedly "recruited" players even saw the field, at defensive end I believe. None were skill players and had little bearing on the team. Imagine, a parent may want their kid to attend Berlin High vs. New Britain High. Go figure.

Reactions: THC

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
For the uninformed, only one of those supposedly "recruited" players even saw the field, at defensive end I believe. None were skill players and had little bearing on the team. Imagine, a parent may want their kid to attend Berlin High vs. New Britain High. Go figure.

They got almost SMU'd by the CIAC.
(Berlin). Saying only 1-2 players who shouldn't have been there to begin with saw the field is, well, not a defense. And your second point about social engineering ( wanting to go to Berlin over NBHS) is insulting to taxpayers of the offended town. Plenty of magnet schools out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom