Ron Johnson says he is transferring

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Good Luck Ron.

IMG_1920[1].PNG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No hard feelings at all, but we are dangerously thin at RB now with Newsome and two guys who haven't played.

Reaction Score
This doesn't surprise me at all. I don't see him as a TB in a Malzohn offense, and I'm guessing the coaches didn't either. Wouldn't surprise me if they were talking about moving him to FB.

We would have been a very thin team if Diaco came back this year, because his recruits have yet to show they can make plays. With the coaching change, we will invariably go from very thin to dangerously thin. It is what it is.

That having been said, when Arkeel was suspended for the first quarter the second half of this year, Thompson, and not Johnson, got the start, and if Vickers and/or Hopkins isn't ready you can always move McAllister back.

Reaction Score
In order to play next year won't he need to drop down to the FCS level?
He never redshirted so he can g top another school if he sits out...he may also be able to graduate and be eligible to play right away.

Reaction Score
He never redshirted so he can g top another school if he sits out...he may also be able to graduate and be eligible to play right away.

If his goal is to play in the NFL he would be better off moving, sitting a year and learning a new system and then try to be "the guy." But I am guessing he's not graduating, because if he was graduating this spring you wouldn't have sent that tweet out. Since you're going to be at UConn in the spring anyway, you would keep quiet, participate in spring practice and then move.

Reaction Score
Good luck. I never saw in this kid what some other posters did, but that was a hell of run against Navy at the goal line. The 1st one anyway.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yep, probably has been asked to switch to FB and not interested. I always liked how this kid played, however I'm also excited for Hopkins, Vickers and to make room for these other RBs we are pursuing like Blackshear, Scott, Mensah, etc.

Reaction Score
Best of luck Ron, wish you had some better coaching along the way at UConn, hopefully no regrets. Hope you realize your dream of playing at the next level.

Reaction Score
Sorry to see you go, but all the best Ron and thanks for all you accomplished and the enjoyment you brought.

Reaction Score
After a VERY promising first year Ron Johnson never developed into the back we had all hope he would become. Its hard to know why but he seem be a tweener. Not fast enough to be a halfback but not big and strong enough to be a power back. Problems with the o-line of course didn't help. I wish him the very best.

Reaction Score
Agreed - hoped he would have developed into the back we needed him to be, but it didn't work out that way. Still, he had his moments. Wishing him the best wherever he goes.

Reaction Score
If his goal is to play in the NFL he would be better off moving, sitting a year and learning a new system and then try to be "the guy." But I am guessing he's not graduating, because if he was graduating this spring you wouldn't have sent that tweet out. Since you're going to be at UConn in the spring anyway, you would keep quiet, participate in spring practice and then move.

Unless he transfers immediately. If he is sitting next year anyway, he might as well transfer now and be able to practice with his new team this spring, no?

Reaction Score
Unless he transfers immediately. If he is sitting next year anyway, he might as well transfer now and be able to practice with his new team this spring, no?

I guess my point wasn't clear enough. Let me try again.

If he were graduating from UConn this spring, he would graduate and then announce. He's not likely moving to another university now if he could graduate this spring.

The fact that he's leaving now makes me assume he would not have been a grad transfer had he waited, and therefore unless he's going to FCS he will sit a year out. Which he can do because he was never redshirted.

Reaction Score
Malzahn*.

I am still very surprised we'd get his QB/OC. That's an insane catch.

Reaction Score
Well it looks like we're in full rebuild/retool mode and it's unfortunately going to detour the athletic/academic careers of a number of good young men. That's the downside of a coaching change brought about by a trifecta of losing seasons. Thankful for the efforts of all these guys and hope they find success wherever their paths take them.

It's going to be an interesting process with a lot of twists hopefully most of them good from here out. They obviously have a plan and clear objectives and need to bring in the kind of athlete that fits the system. It's not an option so much as it is the only path to being successful.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I always thought RonJohn would have been a beast behind Edsall/Foley-caliber offensive lines... too bad it didn't work out for him here, thanks for your time as a Husky!

Reaction Score
Outside chance he got the word that someone not yet known to the fan base is transferring in. That's always a possibility with any of these guys that decommitted or are transferring out. With the staff coming in I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few pleasant surprises come signing day ;)

Reaction Score
I guess my point wasn't clear enough. Let me try again.

If he were graduating from UConn this spring, he would graduate and then announce. He's not likely moving to another university now if he could graduate this spring.

The fact that he's leaving now makes me assume he would not have been a grad transfer had he waited, and therefore unless he's going to FCS he will sit a year out. Which he can do because he was never redshirted.

Brain fart, I was thinking he's a senior and may have graduated this past december, but since he hasn't even finished his junior year yet, that's highly unlikely.

What you're saying makes sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom