Ron Johnson commits | The Boneyard

Ron Johnson commits

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

This is a big get IMO. We need a solid rb ... Florida talent to boot. He may be listed as a 2 star to look at his size and weight... Also has an offer from Ville on the table with some solid programs scouting him.

Reaction Score
Welcome Ron Johnson.can't help but date myself and have the childhood recollections of the Giants RB Ron Johnson #30 who was one of the few bright spots for the early 70s giants

I was thinking the same thing. I decided to look him up and found out he's like 59 I think, and in a nursing home with alzheimer's. Sad....had a business that his son now runs.

Reaction Score
I'd say we are stacked at RB. Probably don't need one next year unless a stud falls in our lap. We are loaded now.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I see all these new quality commits and I think of an old Yardbirds song" Train kept a Rollin "

Reaction Score
This signing makes any fan of Fast Times at Ridgemont High smile. Ron Johnson, audio consultant.
"So are you working hard or hardly working?"

Reaction Score
What a sad outcome. The University of Michigan bears some of the blame also. They should pick up the gap of his medical costs.

Reaction Score
I'd say we are stacked at RB. Probably don't need one next year unless a stud falls in our lap. We are loaded now.

Can never have enough good running backs. UConn tried this at QB back when Dan O was there - they skipped a year of recruiting the position. THE POSITION hasn't been the same since. Best stable of running backs for UConn was in '03-'04 stretch - Terry C. Bellamy, Brockington and the kid from Bloomfield. And . . . they needed everyone of them. So keep the RB's coming.

Reaction Score
This is a big get IMO. We need a solid rb ... Florida talent to boot. He may be listed as a 2 star to look at his size and weight... Also has an offer from Ville on the table with some solid programs scouting him.

Des has an article in today's Courant that said he had committed to UL and when Strong left he essentially decommitted. I'd say that's a strong statement in favor of our staff snagging him up.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
"So are you working hard or hardly working?"
If we can just figure out a way to get a commitment from Charles Jefferson we will be in great shape.

Reaction Score
Can never have enough good running backs. UConn tried this at QB back when Dan O was there - they skipped a year of recruiting the position. THE POSITION hasn't been the same since. Best stable of running backs for UConn was in '03-'04 stretch - Terry C. Bellamy, Brockington and the kid from Bloomfield. And . . . they needed everyone of them. So keep the RB's coming.

I agree in principle but I have to say that 2008 (Brown starting, Todman as a change-of-pace with Dixon waiting in the wings and Sherman and Davis at fullback) was our best.

Reaction Score

Anyone had any luck finding a 40-time?

Reaction Score
4.95 40 but clearly fast enough on a few of these runs ;)

No way that kid is only a 4.95. I mean he's not a 4.4 guy, but at least in the 4.6 to 4.7 range. There is no way he'd be getting any D1 interest if he was only 4.95. Must be an old time.

Reaction Score
Many high school players have never run or 40. Many do not know how to run a 40 to produce a good time. In this case the 40 number obviously has no meaning.

One way that coaches overcome this deficit is to watch game tape. Videotape (or these days hard drives) run at 30 frames a second. They then pick ten yards out of a run or use a set number of frames and this gives them a measure of speed. For example if the kid covers ten yards in 40 frames that is 1.33 seconds to go ten yards. The most important part of using frames rates it it allows a coach to objectively compare kids speed on the field in pads.

Reaction Score
I like that he runs mostly between the tackles. Will be a nice tandem with Newsome. Could we see both in the backfield at the same time?

Reaction Score
No way that kid is only a 4.95. I mean he's not a 4.4 guy, but at least in the 4.6 to 4.7 range. There is no way he'd be getting any D1 interest if he was only 4.95. Must be an old time.

No idea where that 40 time came from. He's got a Hy-Tek verified track time best of 11.65 in the 100m and 24.22 in the 200m from the spring 2013 that he ran in Florida. No recent times, because it was football season obviously. That info is available to anyone with an internet link that knows where to look. His 200 time almost a year ago, in spring 2013, would have placed him among the top 50 or so at the division 1 indoor meet UCONN went to in Albany a few days ago. It's not high end NCAA track championship speed, or even AAC conference championship speed in track.....but it's division 1 speed for football without a doubt, and that's with times posted almost a year ago now. Chances are he's faster now, and at 5'11" 210 - those are more than adequate measurables for a division 1 back.

Reaction Score
Many high school players have never run or 40. Many do not know how to run a 40 to produce a good time. In this case the 40 number obviously has no meaning.

One way that coaches overcome this deficit is to watch game tape. Videotape (or these days hard drives) run at 30 frames a second. They then pick ten yards out of a run or use a set number of frames and this gives them a measure of speed. For example if the kid covers ten yards in 40 frames that is 1.33 seconds to go ten yards. The most important part of using frames rates it it allows a coach to objectively compare kids speed on the field in pads.

To your point... http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/40yarddashassessment1.html

Reaction Score
Not only fast enough but strong as on many runs he drags defenders in the right direction. Does not go down on first contact.
Thank you for this link...

Reaction Score

Not only fast enough but strong as on many runs he drags defenders in the right direction. Does not go down on first contact. Thank you for this link...

Hey - maybe the dude @ ESPN Recruiting is a crappy typer and it was suppose to be 4.59 (or for the conspiracy theorists - he changed it when they updated the commit to UConn :confused:).

All I know is that the staff likes him and he had other BCS offers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom