Rocky Hill’s Justin Barron looks forward to a homecoming as his Syracuse team comes to play UConn | The Boneyard

Rocky Hill’s Justin Barron looks forward to a homecoming as his Syracuse team comes to play UConn

Reaction Score
There was a mention of Barron in the Game Week thread but more in-depth article here:

Alternate access link here <<

-> “When I was growing up, it was always the first thing I thought of, playing at UConn,” Barron said. “One of my best friends, Tyler Van Dyke, that was a thing we talked about, we still talk about, what would have happened if we went to UConn. Damn, what if we stayed home and played for UConn, how crazy that would be. We also talk about what would happen if they got all the Connecticut kids to stay in state, Trey [Williams] at Clemson, Taisun Phommachanh, now at Georgia Tech, all those guys.”

Barron took note that two of UConn’s four touchdowns in the win over Central Connecticut last weekwere scored by state players, Jacob Flynn and Victor Rosa. Getting the best in-state talent to stay home has been a stated goal for Mora, who took over last November.

“You start off with Vic, one of the best, if not the best player in that class, and get him to stay home and show he can perform and play early,” Barron said. “Giving him the opportunity to get on the field is the biggest thing in getting kids to stay there.” <-

Reaction Score
There was a mention of Barron in the Game Week thread but more in-depth article here:

Alternate access link here <<

-> “When I was growing up, it was always the first thing I thought of, playing at UConn,” Barron said. “One of my best friends, Tyler Van Dyke, that was a thing we talked about, we still talk about, what would have happened if we went to UConn. Damn, what if we stayed home and played for UConn, how crazy that would be. We also talk about what would happen if they got all the Connecticut kids to stay in state, Trey [Williams] at Clemson, Taisun Phommachanh, now at Georgia Tech, all those guys.”

Barron took note that two of UConn’s four touchdowns in the win over Central Connecticut last weekwere scored by state players, Jacob Flynn and Victor Rosa. Getting the best in-state talent to stay home has been a stated goal for Mora, who took over last November.

“You start off with Vic, one of the best, if not the best player in that class, and get him to stay home and show he can perform and play early,” Barron said. “Giving him the opportunity to get on the field is the biggest thing in getting kids to stay there.” <-

Why isn’t he at UConn then?lol.

Reaction Score
God damn this both breaks my heart and infuriates me. TVD obviously made the right choice it looks like (who in their right mind would choose UConn over Miami) but still what could have been...

There are seemingly 5-ish blue chip prospects in CT every year than end up going to high end P5 schools (Dom Brown had a Michigan pipeline for years) and I hope Mora can convince some of those kids to stay home.

The issue is these kids grew up with UConn football being a joke the last 10 years. A current HS senior was what, 6 years old when UConn played in the Fiesta Bowl? Slightly nervous about the same occurring with basketball (not in-state but in general, a current HS senior was 9ish when the team won it all in 2014).

There are now a whole generation of HS talent that hasn't had UConn success on their radar for most of their life, so it will be an uphill battle to change that in both sports.

Reaction Score
Diaco was long gone - no? He committed to Syracuse in June 2019.

Trust me on this one. His then hs coach despised diaco and was a strong influence. I remember clearly sitting in stands with that team when crazy Bob decided to burn the red shirt of a frosh qb vs temple and it was game over for any kid from that hs program playing at UConn.

Had Jimmy followed Bob maybe, but Randy’s prove to me u want to play here approach was not helpful.

Oh well, at least Jimmy recognizes what’s needed and is addressing it. Another small, albeit forward step.

Reaction Score
Trust me on this one. His then hs coach despised diaco and was a strong influence. I remember clearly sitting in stands with that team when crazy Bob decided to burn the red shirt of a frosh qb vs temple and it was game over for any kid from that hs program playing at UConn.

Had Jimmy followed Bob maybe, but Randy’s prove to me u want to play here approach was not helpful.

Oh well, at least Jimmy recognizes what’s needed and is addressing it. Another small, albeit forward step.
Sounds about right.

That's a recruiting fail from Diaco and Edsall that is inexcusable. Come on. Syracuse is terrific, in ACC, I get it. But, the kid was a former season ticker holder. Come on. You have to lose his heart. Not try and convince.

And make no mistake, CT high school players and CT in-state prep players have a lot of pride. They hear all about FLorida, Texas, yada yada yada. They know who is who and want to see northeast football do well.

Edit: Also the behind the scenes hate of football and whether it should be eliminated likely hurt here. It has taken the Governor to come out and give a thumbs up on UConn football for coaches to trust the program again.

Reaction Score
That nice kid still wants to beat down the boys in blue, so I hope we can give a good welcome home azwhoopin.

Reaction Score
Nate Carter is at UConn. Not sure Cuse or even at Buffalo recruited him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom