OT: - Robot vacuums are #1, avoid #2 | The Boneyard

OT: Robot vacuums are #1, avoid #2

Reaction Score
Great question. I bought a Neato 3 years ago and it was a terrible experience. We do have a confusing layout but when it didn’t work (got lost) we changed things like it’s home base, moved couches, closed doors to limit rooms, etc. and it still would get lost and shut down. The layout was down to a single room and it still wouldn’t work. There was ZERO customer service. Tried calling and online and never reached anyone or never able to upgrade software or something that might improve the performance. We gave up and it’s parked in the cellar. Things may have changed but don’t invest anything into Neato.
I’m ready to look again but would like to hear others results.

Reaction Score
I have a Deebot. It works but it doesn’t get every speck of dust. It’s nice to get under the bed and such.

Reaction Score
We have a Roomba. It works great, my wife loves it. It does get hung up on somethings but for the most part it navigates real well. It does not however replace the need for a conventional vacuum. They work best in for instance a spare bedroom, just turn it on close the door and then come back in 30 minutes when it's done.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know people who have come home to dog crap smeared all over their house from their Roomba repeatedly running it over

While obviously not an ideal sales pitch, does anyone expect a vacuum to cleanly pick up dog crap? Other than shop vacs and their ilk, wouldn't any indoor vacuum do the same?

And, I'd be more worried about the family which has dog poop randomly throughout their house than the vacuum that smears it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We had a Roomba that we received as a Christmas present from my brother in law a long time ago. We sold it in a tag sale a few years after he gave it to us. We have too many area rugs with fringe.

I'm holding out for a robot maid, like Rosie from "The Jetsons."

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
While obviously not an ideal sales pitch, does anyone expect a vacuum to cleanly pick up dog crap? Other than shop vacs and their ilk, wouldn't any indoor vacuum do the same?

And, I'd be more worried about the family which has dog poop randomly throughout their house than the vacuum that smears it.
Uhm... If you are running a vacuum, you ain't gonna run it through the dog crap. If it is running itself, at night or when you're not home, it doesn't see dog crap. If the dog dumps on the floor while you're out, Roomba's going to run over it, thinking it did a good thing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Uhm... If you are running a vacuum, you ain't gonna run it through the dog crap. If it is running itself, at night or when you're not home, it doesn't see dog crap. If the dog dumps on the floor while you're out, Roomba's going to run over it, thinking it did a good thing.

I'm bored and I'll go down this rabbit hole.

If you have a dog who isn't house broken, I'd recommend caging it or putting it in a room with hardwood floors and a gate/fence that keeps the dog in a confined area.

I'd also make sure if I had a non house broken pet AND I had a robot vacuum, I'd definitely make sure the vacuum didn't have access to the area where I keep the pet.

But that's just me. I don't believe in free range pets indoors that aren't house broken.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
A real answer to your question Tom is yes, iRoomba is great with certain limitations. First off, get the top of the line, the others probably aren't powerful enough. It works really well on tile and wood floors, It will do carpets but low pile only. Just ran ours this morning and it picks up all the dog hair, dust and dirt. You can schedue it and the app shows you where its been. It's smart and can even do a larger area going back to charge itself as need be. It's not perfect and can get stuck - its a robot and 4 inches tall, so if you have a realistic expectation it is great.

I know 5 households that use them and given the limitations its working well for all of us.

Reaction Score
I'm bored and I'll go down this rabbit hole.

If you have a dog who isn't house broken, I'd recommend caging it or putting it in a room with hardwood floors and a gate/fence that keeps the dog in a confined area.

I'd also make sure if I had a non house broken pet AND I had a robot vacuum, I'd definitely make sure the vacuum didn't have access to the area where I keep the pet.

But that's just me. I don't believe in free range pets indoors that aren't house broken.

Have you owned dogs? Sometimes they get sick whether they are housebroken or not.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score

No that’s exactly what happens, the dog drops a deuce randomly when the vacuum is out and it runs it over and it gets everywhere.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have you owned dogs? Sometimes they get sick whether they are housebroken or not.
No that’s exactly what happens, the dog drops a deuce randomly when the vacuum is out and it runs it over and it gets everywhere.

So going back to OP's recommendation, if you have dogs who crap inside, you may want to avoid robot vacuums.

Fortunately the only times our dogs have crapped inside it's in the bathroom by the toilet on the tile.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Neither do I. But I also recognize that house broken dogs can have an "accident" when they get excited or nervous, which is more likely to happen when you're not home. When we had dogs, they didn't have the run of the house at night or when we weren't home.

Reaction Score
robots.jpg

Reaction Score
Should we change the topic to "my dog poops in the house...what to do...."?????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom