OT: - Robert Osborne passes away | The Boneyard

OT: Robert Osborne passes away

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Gonna go out on a limb and guess that I'm not the only classic-film fan on the board, and probably not the only Turner Classic Movies watcher either. Robert Osborne had an encyclopedic knowledge of film history, and it was a joy to watch him for so many years introducing movies with his inimitably warm and elegant delivery. Simply a perfect host. He will be missed.

Robert Osborne, Genial Face of TCM, Dead at 84

Reaction Score
Was very sad to learn that he passed away. I've had a love of classic films and classic film stars for a while and have always been grateful there was a channel that was dedicated to it. Seeing Robert and hearing him introduce or talk about films after they were over was something that was incredible on it's own. His love and knowledge of these films, and being the face of TCM, have been something that have contributed to many being interested in the films to begin with. He is TCM to me. He is and always will be the face of TCM.

Reaction Score
Gonna go out on a limb and guess that I'm not the only classic-film fan on the board, and probably not the only Turner Classic Movies watcher either. Robert Osborne had an encyclopedic knowledge of film history, and it was a joy to watch him for so many years introducing movies with his inimitably warm and elegant delivery. Simply a perfect host. He will be missed.

TCM is a channel that is often watched in our home, so we got to see plenty of Robert Osborne over the years. He was indeed the perfect genial and knowledgable host for TCM, and for many years he was the face of the channel. In recent years as Osborne's air time diminished, I have taken more and more of a liking for Ben Mankiewicz as he has become more and more the new face of the channel. Still, I will miss Mr. Osborne.

Reaction Score
upload_2017-3-6_21-18-27.png

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Not only was he a great host, but his interviews of movie stars of yore were in a class by themselves. He knew how to bring out a wealth of interesting information from the stars he interviewed without ever being overbearing or flaunting his knowledge. He asked on-point questions and allowed the interviewees to answer fully without interrupting them.

I have a friend who knew him. She says he was the same in person as he was on screen - charming, gentlemanly, bright and fun to be with.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Big fan of Osborne. Always amazed at his intellect and almost encyclopedic knowledge of classic movies and genres.

His interviews and co-hosting with film stars were so enjoyable and educational. I doubt we will ever see another like him. Another American treasure lost.

Reaction Score

i
Not that I follow the old timers programs on TCM---more than 5 hours per day--I wondered why TCM downgraded the intro's to movies
A nice guy, with great friends, and as you say a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the info--not the message.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Robert Osborne is mostly known as a reporter and host of TCM's prime-time movies, but he started as an actor. Here's a clip of his bit part in the Beverly Hillbillies pilot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom