Rivals old and new: Providence College | The Boneyard

Rivals old and new: Providence College

Reaction Score
The 10 part series from Dom Amore continues with PC.

“Gampel is a very, very great home-court advantage,” Cooley said. “That will go right along with what our league is doing. It’s another sellout, when we go there and when they come here. I just think [UConn] brings great camaraderie and great unity to the region, especially during these tough times of social unrest. It’s really a perfect time for it. … [Hurley’s] a hell of a coach. His teams play hard, he’s a really, really good strategic coach. His Rhode Island teams were intense and I expect the same thing from this group. He’s going to do a hell of a job.”

Reaction Score
Seemed to me that it was Ed Cooley promoting himself and giving him a recruiting tool

Reaction Score
providence in the 80/90s was badass

and it’s like an hour drive from storrs? not many options

TJT

Reaction Score
72 games all time versus Providence College is not all that much considering the short distance. The Huskies have played nearby URI in 145 contests. UMass is at 108 games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
72 games all time versus Providence College is not all that much considering the short distance.
That's because they were scared to play UConn in the 60's and 70's. They only started playing because the Big East made them. Gavitt told them, "I represent all teams now. PC's gonna have to start playing UConn." As it turned out, PC's fears were well founded.

Reaction Score
72 games all time versus Providence College is not all that much considering the short distance. The Huskies have played nearby URI in 145 contests. UMass is at 108 games.
We were in the same conference as URI and UMass for many years

Reaction Score
UMass was a huge rival. Playing them now is useless. Providence is pretty much in the same category.

Reaction Score
UMass was a huge rival. Playing them now is useless. Providence is pretty much in the same category.
Wow....."useless" stop that. Playing UConn these last like 5 years has been useless.

Reaction Score
Wow....."useless" stop that. Playing UConn these last like 5 years has been useless.
Can't defend the one tourney win in the Cooley era, but a BE chip and 5 straight bids and a buzzer beater by Creighton a sloppy late February loss to at John's last yr and PC wins the BE regular season. Not to mention like 9 quad one wins and one of the hottest teams going into to BE tournament. Don't know if you been watching since Cooley has been the coach. PC is far from the Welsh and Keno Davis days.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone?
They have such a tough hand to play when it comes down to defending their program. “Except for two late losses we would have won the Big East last year,”. Ouch. What do you do when you have nothing to go off of? Remember when we beat you in 04? Oh yeah, the year we win our 2nd NC in 5 years. Nice little win for you guys. But we beat you in the BET that time, remember? Yeah, not really. I think that was in the midst of our 49-5 3 year run and 2 Sweet 16s and 1 Elite 8 in 3 years. You say you don’t know what that is?? That’s when you make it past the first weekend of the NCAAs.

And yet they flock here to talk #2. It’s funny. I couldn’t find a PC board if you Put a gun to my head. Why do they have to come here and beg to be relevant??

Reaction Score
They have such a tough hand to play when it comes down to defending their program. “Except for two late losses we would have won the Big East last year,”. Ouch. What do you do when you have nothing to go off of? Remember when we beat you in 04? Oh yeah, the year we win our 2nd NC in 5 years. Nice little win for you guys. But we beat you in the BET that time, remember? Yeah, not really. I think that was in the midst of our 49-5 3 year run and 2 Sweet 16s and 1 Elite 8 in 3 years. You say you don’t know what that is?? That’s when you make it past the first weekend of the NCAAs.

And yet they flock here to talk #2. It’s funny. I couldn’t find a PC board if you Put a gun to my head. Why do they have to come here and beg to be relevant??
Beg.......I'm just defending PC when you say useless. I get crushed on this board on many threads, but I come with facts and the last 5 yrs PC has been a good basketball team, UConn on the other hand the last 5-6 yrs has been irrelevant (what have you done for me lately) I'm aware of the championships and pedigree that UConn had and with DH coaching it's looking like that could come back, but again PC is not that team from the old BE, plus I would say 38-27 is not a bad overall record PC has against UConn if you throwing out old wins and losses, plus that record will get alot closer to 500 now that you guys are back in the BE.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Beg.......I'm just defending PC when you say useless. I get crushed on this board on many threads, but I come with facts and the last 5 yrs PC has been a good basketball team, UConn on the other hand the last 5-6 yrs has been irrelevant (what have you done for me lately) I'm aware of the championships and pedigree that UConn had and with DH coaching it's looking like that could come back, but again PC is not that team from the old BE, plus I would say 38-27 is not a bad overall record PC has against UConn if you throwing out old wins and losses, plus that record will get alot closer to 500 now that you guys are back in the BE.
So go talk about on your board. No one cares about you here. And yeah, you are irrelevant to us. You can try all you want to make us your “rival”, but the fact is, your not. The only thing you have that’s close to us is geographic proximity. That’s it. Win some games that matter and maybe that changes. But right now, you’re barely the best team in your state. And that’s a state with what, 3-4 D1 programs??

Reaction Score
So go talk about on your board. No one cares about you here. And yeah, you are irrelevant to us. You can try all you want to make us your “rival”, but the fact is, your not. The only thing you have that’s close to us is geographic proximity. That’s it. Win some games that matter and maybe that changes. But right now, you’re barely the best team in your state. And that’s a state with what, 3-4 D1 programs??
Ok I see you don't watch anybody but UConn, 3-4 best team in the state, you sound crazy. So Brown, Bryant and URI are better lmao.....whose making you a rival, please stop....when you make useless comments about a team you obviously have not watched since the old BE, that is when I say something. Also alot of posters seem to like the friendly smack talk, because I come with facts. You my friend are still living in UConn past, it's time to move on. Again can DH bring that back sure, but what has UConn done lately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom