Rivals Bill King - Brodie | The Boneyard

Rivals Bill King - Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On my way to work this morning i was listing to Bill King, he was talking to the Rutgers insider, i couldnt remember his name, and he was speaking on their recruits, and the guy said Brodie is going to Rutgers.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Whelp, looks like Schiano wins in Februaury again...

Reaction Score
Why would that surprise anyone. We never and I mean NEVER get these kids.

Of course, they never, and I mean never, get better under Schiano, so I don't get it.

Reaction Score
I am likely in the minority, but I see some good in this. IMO, the entire conference needs to elevate the leval of talent (on the field) - mostly, to thwart the crying from the SEC/B12/P12 that we do not deserve to sit at the big table. Keeping highly recruited kids in the conference, making it a destination for them is a good thing that should indirectly help UConn.

Besides, we all look forward to the day when the rule (rather than the exception) is that local kids want to play at State U. Good for RU for making themselves a place for local kids to stay home.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is beating UConn out on recruits this year. If we look at this closely, we have rarely locked horns with Rutgers, recruitingwise, under Edsall. It appears PP is going after kids Rutgers and others are recruiting.
Hopefully, next year and beyond, we'll start winning a few of these recruiting battles as Pasqueloni and staff establish relations with these kids firmer.

Reaction Score
Im with Yonick on this. We have to see two more classes from P to see if the recruiting is going to ramp up under him in the eyes of the recruiting services. Ill gladly keep texturing at the same level if he delivers a 11-1, 10-2, type season in the next two years with a BCS appearance.

Reaction Score
Palantine, what do you mean they never get better under Schiano? RU has over 20 players in the NFL. The 2005 class alone placed 8 into the NFL and seven of them were 2 star recruits. One of Schiano's program's strength is the ability to make his players better and move them onto the NFL.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Palantine, what do you mean they never get better under Schiano? RU has over 20 players in the NFL. The 2005 class alone placed 8 into the NFL and seven of them were 2 star recruits. One of Schiano's program's strength is the ability to make his players better and move them onto the NFL.
imho just the fact that Rutgers hasn't performed, not the development of the players themselves. I'd expect more from Rutgers given the suceess of their alumni. So why isn't Rutgers anywhere near successful?

Reaction Score
imho just the fact that Rutgers hasn't performed, not the development of the players themselves. I'd expect more from Rutgers given the suceess of their alumni. So why isn't Rutgers anywhere near successful?

I think it's a legitimate question and one that needs to be answered definitively within the next couple of years, or his time will be up. There is way, way too much talent in the program to not finally earn a BE crown. I think Schiano has clear limitations as a gameday coach, which have started to get fixed by him bringing in a real OC in Cignetti and giving him control of the offense, allowing GS to focus on his specialty which is the defense. Last year was a bit of a transition as we hope it began fixing the team's biggest problem, the offensive line. This season, the unit should be much improved and is set up nicely going forward with the talent in the pipeline. Beyond that, there have been failures when it comes to simple execution, and that's where the seat becomes hotter if it continues next season.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Rutgers is beating UConn out on recruits this year. If we look at this closely, we have rarely locked horns with Rutgers, recruitingwise, under Edsall. It appears PP is going after kids Rutgers and others are recruiting.
Hopefully, next year and beyond, we'll start winning a few of these recruiting battles as Pasqueloni and staff establish relations with these kids firmer.

Don't see this ever happening. Schiano is an awful coach but can recruit with the best of them. Who on our staff, other than Pasqualoni, has shown that he can recruit with the likes of Rutgers and Penn State?

Reaction Score
I think it's a legitimate question and one that needs to be answered definitively within the next couple of years, or his time will be up. There is way, way too much talent in the program to not finally earn a BE crown. I think Schiano has clear limitations as a gameday coach, which have started to get fixed by him bringing in a real OC in Cignetti and giving him control of the offense, allowing GS to focus on his specialty which is the defense. Last year was a bit of a transition as we hope it began fixing the team's biggest problem, the offensive line. This season, the unit should be much improved and is set up nicely going forward with the talent in the pipeline. Beyond that, there have been failures when it comes to simple execution, and that's where the seat becomes hotter if it continues next season.

It's pretty simple really. The true quality of a recruiting class is not clear until that class graduates and you look at what they've been part of doing while they were suiting up. How many rings? The 2007 recruiting class at UConn, is the top standard that we need to improve on right now. I'm sure that it's not a lost topic in recruiting discussions, that the only NJ players to stay close to home in the big east, and have titles, have either come to UConn, or been coached by the current UConn staff in the past in upstate New York.

The upperclassmen in our program right now, have their work cut out for them, but aren't too far awy from at least competing on par, over time, with what that recruiting class of 2007 left the program having accomplished. The class of 2012, well - we'll see. THey've got a long hard road ahead of them.

What you can look at, and try to quantify with an incoming class, is the quality of starting material you're going to work with to begin to mold into a finished product.

I think it's more than safe to say, that in the past, the UConn Huskies have accomplished much more their finished products, than Rutgers, and done it with a less quality starting materials to work with. I don't think you'll find anyone to disagree with that. Rings.

There are those that would/will disagree with what I"m about to write though, in that I think that the quality of starting material that we're going to be bringing in this year and coming years, is going to closer to the starting materials that Rutgers has had, and will continue to have, to work with.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Edsall proved that he could find diamonds in the rough and develop them. Pasqualoni has not yet shown this ability. We should be very concerned with low recruiting rankings.

Reaction Score
Edsall proved that he could find diamonds in the rough and develop them. Pasqualoni has not yet shown this ability. We should be very concerned with low recruiting rankings.

This will be coach P's first class. I don't see how you can claim that coach P can't develop talent after just one year, especially when he didn't have time to hire his own staff. We should not be concerned with recruiting rankings just yet.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
He hasn't shown that he CAN yet, either. I will be concerned about our recruiting until PP shows he can win with lightly recruited players. We are looking at the same glass, but I am telling you that it's half-empty.

Reaction Score
You're joking, right. The top guys who come to Rutgers rarely get better. Has Sanu improved since his freshmen year? No. Davis actually backslid at RU. Made the NFL on his talent . And is now progressing again. Compare the recruiting class ranking at RU ad UConn. Explain why UConn has two BE championships and RU has none. Because players get to RU, and they don't improve.

Why with lower recruiting classes does UConn have more all BE players every year? Say no more.

Reaction Score
Edsall in 143 games as a 1-A head coach is 70-73. He's 23-33 in BCS conference (22-26 BE UConn, and 1-7 in the ACC/Mary).

Pasqualoni in 189 games as a 1-A head coach is 112-66-1. 76-38 in BCS conference (73-34 Syracuse, 3-4 UConn)

I really grow tired of the comparisons. One is not in the same discussion as the other.

Reaction Score
For every Davis and Sanu you give me I can just as easily give you the Mcourtys, Foster, Haslem, Underwood, etc.

Reaction Score
I think it's funny to say RU doesn't develop it's players. We probably have more walk-ons and unheralded players in the NFL than any other team. And as far as the team performing, we do well most years, a solid mediocre...just like our recruiting has been. And we were one bad call from going to the Orange Bowl in 2006 and a missed field goal this year. Eventually we will break though.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Edsall in 143 games as a 1-A head coach is 70-73. He's 23-33 in BCS conference (22-26 BE UConn, and 1-7 in the ACC/Mary).

Pasqualoni in 189 games as a 1-A head coach is 112-66-1. 76-38 in BCS conference (73-34 Syracuse, 3-4 UConn)

I really grow tired of the comparisons. One is not in the same discussion as the other.

Edsall took over a slightly above average FCS roster while at UConn. Pasqualoni took over a top 15 Syracuse program* and a fairly talented (albeit offensively limited) UConn roster coming off a Fiesta Bowl appearance. Pasqualoni BETTER have a good record than Edsall.

*Admittedly, PP was a key assistant during Mac's tenure.

Reaction Score

What is not in the same discussion as the other is the starting point for a coach who took over an Atlantic Ten program oon its way to the Big EAst and one who took over the second biggest power in the East, with alumni like Brown, Davis and LIttle. P will have more than a fair shot at getting it done in Storrs. Let's see how he does.

I want him to succeed as much as you do, but thinking that Syracuse had more success than start-up UConn because of their coach and not their starting point is just dumb.

Reaction Score
Don't see this ever happening. Schiano is an awful coach but can recruit with the best of them. Who on our staff, other than Pasqualoni, has shown that he can recruit with the likes of Rutgers and Penn State?
DeLeone and Brown, the rest of them no way. We haven't had a recruiting presence in NJ since Scott Lakatos left for Georgia! DeLeone is knocking on doors loudly now in NJ, and according to some stuff I have seen from Schiano making in-roads. Schiano did ok in NJ until he hired Jeff Haffley from Pitt when Wanny's staff was purged. Then his NJ recruiting took off! I think P needs to take a LONG look at the staff he kept from Edsall. One of the very few times I have seen a coach hired from the outside and not make wholesale staff changes (only keeping 1 or 2 of the prior staff). The asst's get P the seat at the table and build the relationships with the players...the relationships that are often the difference of landing or not landing a player. With Herbst on the search for a new AD...P may be on a short rope. If and when the next coaching change comes I can't see ANY of these guys staying around.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
DeLeone and Brown, the rest of them no way. We haven't had a recruiting presence in NJ since Scott Lakatos left for Georgia! DeLeone is knocking on doors loudly now in NJ, and according to some stuff I have seen from Schiano making in-roads. Schiano did ok in NJ until he hired Jeff Haffley from Pitt when Wanny's staff was purged. Then his NJ recruiting took off! I think P needs to take a LONG look at the staff he kept from Edsall. One of the very few times I have seen a coach hired from the outside and not make wholesale staff changes (only keeping 1 or 2 of the prior staff). The asst's get P the seat at the table and build the relationships with the players...the relationships that are often the difference of landing or not landing a player. With Herbst on the search for a new AD...P may be on a short rope. If and when the next coaching change comes I can't see ANY of these guys staying around.

Agreed. I would like to see coach SOS and Perkins removed from the staff. We have been inadequate at WR and DB for a few years now, especially in terms of depth. When Blidi went down last year, Gartz couldn't cover #1 receivers at a high level and we didn't have a corner on the roster that could fill in the vacant #2 slot. We miss Lakatos not only for the recruiting, but for the coaching as well.

Reaction Score
The kid knew all along he was going 2 Rutgers, inform coach S, 2 keep it on da low, welcome these superstars kids world how they do business, they want that camera time, we just got 2 continue 2 beat them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom