OT: RIP | The Boneyard

OT: RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Two well known character actors passed away Christmas Eve. (didn't see anything on here)

Jack Klugman, well known for his portrayal of Juror 12 in "Twelve Angry Men", Oscar Madison on The Odd Couple, and medical examiner in Quincy, M. E.

Charles Durning, WWII vet who participated in D-Day at Normandy (Omaha Beach no less, received Purple Heart, Silver and Bronze Stars), portrayed Lt. Snyder in "The Sting", Leslie Nichols in "Tootsie" (Dorothy Michael's suitor), and my favorite, the Governor in "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Durning as Pappy O'Daniel in "Oh Brother, Where art Thou".

Link
Ah yes, that's the one I was missing. I knew there was something else I really liked him in. Thanks.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Durning was reportedly the only survivor of his company on Omaha.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
RIP, enjoyed both their work.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Copied from Wikipedia article on During:

Durning served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Drafted at age 21, he was first assigned as a rifleman with the 398th Infantry Regiment, and later served overseas with the 3rd Army Support troops and the 386th Anti-aircraft Artillery (AAA) Battalion. For his valor and the wounds he received during the war, Durning was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and three Purple Heart medals.[9] Additional awards include the World War II Victory Medal.[10]
Durning participated in the Normandy Invasion of France on D-Day, June 6, 1944, and was among the first troops to land at Omaha Beach. In Episode S03E09 of the program Dinner for Five, which also included Burt Reynolds, Dom DeLuise and Charles Nelson Reilly, Reynolds spoke about Durning's service career for him, as Durning did not like to talk about it much. Reynolds revealed that Durning was in a group of gliders who overshot their landing zone and that he had to fight alone all the way back to the beach. Reynolds also stated that his own father was there fighting about 15 yards away and that Durning was probably the most decorated veteran (then) still alive from World War II.[11] Some sources state that he was with the 1st Infantry Division at the time,[12] but it is unclear if he served as a rifleman or as a member of one of the division's artillery battalions.
Durning was wounded by a German “S” Mine on June 15, 1944 at La Mare des Mares, Normandy. He was transported to the 24th Evacuation Hospital. By June 17 he was back in England at the 217th General Hospital. Although severely wounded by shrapnel in the left and right thighs, the right hand, the frontal region of the head, and the anterior left chest wall, Durning recovered quickly and was determined to be fit for duty on December 6, 1944. He arrived back at the front in time to take part in the Battle of the Bulge, the German counter-offensive through the Ardennes Forest of Belgium and Luxembourg in December 1944.[13][14]
After being wounded again, this time in the chest, Durning was returned to the United States. He remained in Army hospitals to receive treatment for wounds until being discharged with the rank of Private First Class on January 30, 1946.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There used to be a great show called Dinner for Five where Jon Favreau would have four guests and they'd eat dinner and chat about whatever - Durning was on with Burt Reynolds, Dom DeLuise and a guy who I know but cannot recall the name.

He didn't talk about it, but Reynolds laid out Durnings' military career as he had served with Reynolds' father - the guy was a war hero straight out of central casting.

Landed at Normandy (overshot the beach and had to fight his way back), Battle of the Bulge, liberation of Buchenwald, taken prisoner, escaped, Silver Star, three Purple Hearts, etc.

(Edit - as I was writing, someone above basically found exactly what I was thinking about.)

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Charles Durning, great actor (one of my personal favorites), and now I learn he was a quiet hero.

Klugman was a great actor also.

RIP.

Reaction Score
Two well known character actors passed away Christmas Eve. (didn't see anything on here)

Jack Klugman, well known for his portrayal of Juror 12 in "Twelve Angry Men", Oscar Madison on The Odd Couple, and medical examiner in Quincy, M. E.

Charles Durning, WWII vet who participated in D-Day at Normandy (Omaha Beach no less, received Purple Heart, Silver and Bronze Stars), portrayed Lt. Snyder in "The Sting", Leslie Nichols in "Tootsie" (Dorothy Michael's suitor), and my favorite, the Governor in "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas".

One of my favorite NCIS episodes had Durning playing a survivor from Iwo Jima who happened to be a MOH recipient. I always smiled at the snappy salutes the Marine guards had for him while the Navy JAG was demanding his arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom