OT: - RIP Paul Westphal | The Boneyard

OT: RIP Paul Westphal

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Westphal made the rounds in the NBA as both a player and a coach, but my fondest memory of him will always be as a member of my beloved Celtics during his he 73-74 season when Boston won their 1st World Championship in the “post Bill Russell” era. That team, coached by legendary Celtic great Tom Heinsohn, had a great mix of veterans (Havlicek, Nelson, Silas) and younger players (Cowen, White, Chaney & Westphal).

The finals matched the Celtics against the Milwaukee Bucks, and there young superstar, Kareem Abdul Jabbar. The series went 7 games with Boston winning the championship in Milwaukee.

RIP Paul Westphal.....

Reaction Score
His NBA career really blossomed after the Celts traded him to Phoenix for Charlie Scott. He made some amazing shots vs the Celtics in the famous 3 OT game in 1976. Great player and person- RIP Paul Westphal.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Man, I’m getting “old“. You guys are recalling his glory years in Boston. I remember him playing locally for the USC Trojans. How time flys. Seems like it was only yesterday. ? RIP Paul, you had a great run, and gave your fans hours of enjoyment and entertainment.

Reaction Score
For me, I grew up watching him when he played with the Suns. 1978-79 & 79-80. Walter Davis, Truck Robinson, Alvan Adams, Don Buse, and Paul Westphal. Then he got traded to Seattle for my other favorite player in that era, Dennis Johnson. Wow. RIP, Paul Westphal. Still got this dude's basketball card!!

Reaction Score
Great player.
I remember him fondly as great shooter and crafty guard. I too had his basketball card.
Those Phoenix teams were excellent.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Man, I’m getting “old“. You guys are recalling his glory years in Boston. I remember him playing locally for the USC Trojans. How time flys. Seems like it was only yesterday. ? RIP Paul, you had a great run, and gave your fans hours of enjoyment and entertainment.
That's not old, THAT'S ANCIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)just kidding

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom