RIP MLB pitcher J.R. Richard | The Boneyard

RIP MLB pitcher J.R. Richard

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
James Rodney "JR" Richard, a two-time National League strikeout champion with the Houston Astros

1628199240369.png

whose career was cut short in 1980 by a stroke, died Thursday at the age of 71, the team announced.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
He was a phenomenal pitcher until felled by that stroke. Honestly I thought he had passed years ago.

May he rest in peace.
I got to see him several times in his prime when Houston came to Dodger Stadium. Richard was a very intimidating figure on the mound. Richard stood 6 feet 8 inches tall and weighed 220 pounds. He had the same "respect" of MLB hitters that Bob Gibson and Nolan Ryan had. To say he threw hard, is an understatement. :eek: Several hitters lamented that because of his height and long stride to the plate, by the time he released the ball, it felt like he was right on top of you. RIP James Rodney, you were one of the best. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
J.R. Richard, for a significant stretch, owned the Dodgers when the Dodgers were very good.
I remember the negative speculation leveled at him when he was complaining of a dead arm. It is unfortunate that the justification for Richard's complaint had to manifest itself in the form of a stroke.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Warning: Minor name-drop ahead:

Kurt Bevacqua, who played in the Majors for 15 years (and hit two homers in the 1984 World Series for the Padres), is my neighbor. I once asked him who the toughest pitcher he ever faced was and he named two, Bob Gibson (duh) and J.R. Richard.

Reaction Score
Wow. RIP, JR Richard. One of my all time favorite baseball players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom