RIP Marty Balin | The Boneyard

RIP Marty Balin

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Marty Balin, a founding member of Jefferson Airplane, has passed away. He made great music with some fine musicians throughout his career. As a near contemporary, it reminds me of an apt line from an old poem. " The sword of Charlemagne the Just is ferric oxide, known as rust. Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf , and I don't feel so well myself." My condolences to Marty's family and friends

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So many different personalities took the lead on Jefferson Airplane songs -- Marty Balin, Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, Jorma Kaukonen and/or some combination thereof. If one song didn't quite catch your fancy, hang on because the next one could and usually would.

On Surrealistic Pillow, which my older brother purchased for our household (whether he knew/liked it or not), almost all the tunes hit home. Grace Slick's lead vocals and allure drew teenagers in initially, but Balin's contributions -- "Coming Back to Me" and "Today" in particular -- stuck/stick with me though thick and thin.

R.I.P., Marty, and thanks for the memories of concerts I saw you at and the music we still have.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All the early rockers are either passing away or age 70+. I saw Paul Simon a few weeks ago and went to Desert Trip ("Oldchella") 2 years ago to see Bob Dylan, the Stones, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, The Who, and Roger Waters. Many of them--and some of us--may not be around too much longer.

RIP, Marty!!

Reaction Score
All the early rockers are either passing away or age 70+. I saw Paul Simon a few weeks ago and went to Desert Trip ("Oldchella") 2 years ago to see Bob Dylan, the Stones, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, The Who, and Roger Waters. Many of them--and some of us--may not be around too much longer.

RIP, Marty!!
Everybody thinks their generation was special, but the ‘60’s & ‘70’s music seems to endure. My daughter wasn’t born until way after that, yet when she was in high school she had all the same tunes from that genre, and knew all the words as well as I ever did. (And, yes, that Phish generation did all the same stuff we did at Greatful Dead concerts). I keep saying I’m done going to fogie concerts (I mean, who wants to see Roger Daltry with his shirt unbuttoned to the waist and gold chains bouncing off his fat belly?), but I keep being totally impressed. Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Beach Boys (50th anniv. Tour 3-4 years ago when the actual original members got together for a short time), etc. All surprisingly still good

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My favorite of his (funny that all so far are from Surrealistic Pillow; shows what a great album it is). It’s about the television — I didn’t know that till a couple of years ago. I’m not good at reading into lyrics. Or anything else for that matter.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
My favorite of his (funny that all so far are from Surrealistic Pillow; shows what a great album it is). It’s about the television — I didn’t know that till a couple of years ago. I’m not good at reading into lyrics. Or anything else for that matter.

:confused: I coulda sworn John Kay was the video when this was posted. Too much football on my plastic ,fantastic lover I guess.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK, one more from that amazing album - the way Marty's and Grace's voices blend and weave through this song has always amazed me - classic Airplane sound.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
:confused: I coulda sworn John Kay was the video when this was posted. Too much football on my plastic ,fantastic lover I guess.

You're not hallucinating. Somehow, I'm not sure, when I pasted the link, it was something from several days ago. I corrected it almost immediately. I'm amazed someone caught it.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
You're not hallucinating. Somehow, I'm not sure, when I pasted the link, it was something from several days ago. I corrected it almost immediately. I'm amazed someone caught it.
Timing my friend, it's all in the timing! :D

Reaction Score
Jefferson Airplane had some great songs, and some amazing talent in that band. Surrealistic Pillow is one of my favorite albums from that time period.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Miracles is my favorite Marty Balin song.
So many good songs from that guy and those bands. As the old greats depart, my respect for them grows exponentially. The original Jefferson Airplane were so fresh and so good. I just laughed out loud when Grace Slick named her kid god, but spelled it with a lower case g (so as not be presumptuous in her words!) Crazy stuff. What heady days , literally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom