RIP Marge Champion | The Boneyard

RIP Marge Champion

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Famous as a model and dancer, choreographer and actress. She was a dance model for Walt Disney studios at 14 years of age. She was the model for Disney's "Snow White" animated film. And, this is the best, she modeled Hyacinth Hippo for "Fantasia". She and her husband Gower Champion had a television show in the 50s. And choreographed hits on Broadway for year. She was 101 at her death, and danced into her 80s. Truly a CHAMPION!

Reaction Score
Famous as a model and dancer, choreographer and actress. She was a dance model for Walt Disney studios at 14 years of age. She was the model for Disney's "Snow White" animated film. And, this is the best, she modeled Hyacinth Hippo for "Fantasia". She and her husband Gower Champion had a television show in the 50s. And choreographed hits on Broadway for year. She was 101 at her death, and danced into her 80s. Truly a CHAMPION!
Bama, I think we sort of grew up in the same era where there were several movie houses in each area and they ranged in prices depending on the movies shown. In New Kensington the Liberty was the most expensive because they had all of the MGM movies which were the most popular at the time. I remember Marge and Gower Champion danced in several of them. Their dance movements were very intricate but they managed to make them look so smooth.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it is happening. Those of us whose lives are in the twilight literally take it one day at a time. You take nothing for granted and enjoy every day. Frankly, when I was in the Marine Corps and serving 2 consecutive years in Viet Nam, I really pushed the odds and did not think that I would make it. So, from my perspective, I am living on borrowed time. And, it feels good.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Like Rhonda Fleming, a person who faded from view, although not quite so completely for some time, and it’s a bit surprising to learn she survived this long. Great movies. She and he husband were in a great old musical Showboat. RIP.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, it is happening. Those of us whose lives are in the twilight literally take it one day at a time. You take nothing for granted and enjoy every day. Frankly, when I was in the Marine Corps and serving 2 consecutive years in Viet Nam, I really pushed the odds and did not think that I would make it. So, from my perspective, I am living on borrowed time. And, it feels good.
To use the term from athletic trainers in football, basketball, etc., we're all "day-to-day." :)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Bama, I think we sort of grew up in the same era where there were several movie houses in each area and they ranged in prices depending on the movies shown. In New Kensington the Liberty was the most expensive because they had all of the MGM movies which were the most popular at the time. I remember Marge and Gower Champion danced in several of them. Their dance movements were very intricate but they managed to make them look so smooth.
@Steelerone , speaking of New Kensington, I read where the old Alcoa aluminum smelter on display for years at Station Square is being moved to New Kensington. Voodoo Brewery at Fifth Avenue and 10th Street in New Ken will feature the huge smelter in their outdoor area. Of course, Alcoa has a long history in New Ken with the research facility located there for years. Next time you go back look it up. Should be in place early 2021.

Reaction Score
Bama, I grew up on Third Street and was one block up from the entrance to the Alcoa plant. I can still recall the hugh numbers of men and women going in and out and two of my Uncles worked in their. When they started to shut down so did the city. It's like a ghost town. It's the outcome of a community putting all of it's eggs in one basket. Believe it or not the Mafia ran New Ken. I also recall that Ezzard Charles, who won the heavyweight championship in the early fifties, married a girl who lived about two blocks from us. Big headlines at the time. And thank you so much for that info.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom