RIP Jim Brown | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Jim Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Evidently he passed on the same date as Ernie Davis, not sure if any media has picked up on that
They might have if Cuse was still a thing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Remember that part of Sleepless in Seattle when they're talking about movies that make you cry. And for the guys it was Jim at the climax of The Dirty Dozen.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Like Bill Russell, the GOAT from a different era

Reaction Score
I remember raking leaves with my father on Sunday afternoons with a transistor radio on the porch. That was the days of the old Browns Municipal Stadium which held over 100,000 seats and if the games weren't sold out they were blacked out on local television. We'd stop raking and listen to the announcer when Jim Brown was taking off on a huge gain. Some folks would drive to PA about 1.5 hours to rent a motel room to watch the games.

Reaction Score
Two best football players to me were always Lawrence Taylor and Jim Brown. I only got to see one of them. They both were so dominant they completely changed how the sport was played.

I was obsessed with sports since I was a kid. The two book reports I remember doing were on two athletes. OJ and Jim Brown. Both had crazy childhoods that they rose from to conquer everything.

OJ was larger than life and the world was his oyster. OJ is a sociopath.

Jim Brown, insane childhood fraught with racism and what turned into black empowerment. He was so dominant in lacrosse they changed the rules of the sport because of him (Gary Gait was still the best IMO) Was so good in football he changed the way that sport was played before he conquered it and retired as a young man. Kicked butt in every single sport he ever played.

Acted his butt off in the Dirty Dozen and fought side by side with the Civil Rights leaders when it all mattered and he was the guy people listened to. When he was an older man, he brokered peace between the Bloods and the Crips. The guy was a giant. His track record with women, not good. Not 100% I can separate truth from fiction but at best it wasn't so good IMO.

Complicated giant and uniquely an American story. He's up there with Muhammad Ali in terms of legends and is right there for greatest athlete of all time.

Reaction Score
Two best football players to me were always Lawrence Taylor and Jim Brown. I only got to see one of them. They both were so dominant they completely changed how the sport was played.

I was obsessed with sports since I was a kid. The two book reports I remember doing were on two athletes. OJ and Jim Brown. Both had crazy childhoods that they rose from to conquer everything.

OJ was larger than life and the world was his oyster. OJ is a sociopath.

Jim Brown, insane childhood fraught with racism and what turned into black empowerment. He was so dominant in lacrosse they changed the rules of the sport because of him (Gary Gait was still the best IMO) Was so good in football he changed the way that sport was played before he conquered it and retired as a young man. Kicked butt in every single sport he ever played.

Acted his butt off in the Dirty Dozen and fought side by side with the Civil Rights leaders when it all mattered and he was the guy people listened to. When he was an older man, he brokered peace between the Bloods and the Crips. The guy was a giant. His track record with women, not good. Not 100% I can separate truth from fiction but at best it wasn't so good IMO.

Complicated giant and uniquely an American story. He's up there with Muhammad Ali in terms of legends and is right there for greatest athlete of all time.
LT and Jim Brown were total bad asses in Any Given Sunday.

Reaction Score
Jim Brown was a very violent man on the football field. Not a surprise. He definitely could get rough with both men and probably women who crossed him off the field. Love him or hate him that's who he was 50-60 years ago. As to anger, it is a human emotion which is not a criminal offense as far as I know.

To be clear, he was never convicted of anything other than assault on a golfer for which he served 1 day in jail. The incident was thrown out because the prosecutor asked the judge to throw out the charges due to inconsistencies in her statements and testimonies. But that is what has stuck with him even to this moment. No one is saying he was without mistakes. We all make them.
Wait a second. 6 arrests for violence against different women is a “mistake” even without convictions? These wives and girlfriends living with him maybe pulled their charges after he “talked” to them? Where have we seen this before? The lack of conviction on 1 or 2 times, maybe but 6? Cmon.

Reaction Score
There's an old story about Sam Huff (NY Giants) and Jim Brown. Early in a game Huff, a Middle LB, shot a gap and tackled Brown in the backfield. As they got up Huff told Brown, "You stink."

Later in the game, Brown scored a TD. Then walked past Huff and said, "How do I smell from here?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom