Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
gg.png

RIP Gordie Howe - Legend

Reaction Score
One of my all-time sports favorites. Used to run into him when he lived in Glastonbury and had some good chats with him in grocery check-out lines and parks. Known for his elbows as well as his vast talents, he was a no nonsense man on the ice, to put it mildly, but very humorous off ice. Had the wonderful experience of seeing him play with his two sons on the Hartford Whalers, when we shared season tix with some friends. Many taps of the stick to his boys and family....sad news.

Reaction Score
Truly one of the great ones. I remember him well vs. the Canadiens especially. Longevity on and off the ice.

Reaction Score
Saw him at age 52, playing for the Whalers. Slow but smooth...the other guy, the furious 26 year old whoever he was, never stood a chance. And so strong that the kid kept bouncing off Howe's arms - I swear. And you heard each time Gordie banged the boards and glass...With elbow, stick, or the 6'2" kid he working over. Finally he flicked the kid to the ice.

It was over in less than 15 seconds...but it was classic Gordie Howe.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I saw him play in the forum a couple of times. I have him saved in my sports memory folder alongside Mantle and Williams and so many others of my sports heroes from 60 years ago.

Now we have mostly dirtbags playing pro sports.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I watched him walk through a concourse at Bdl at the end of his career. He had a "don't freaking bother me" look on his face and the seas seemed to part for him. As big a fan as I was, I couldn't work up the nerve to say anything to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom