RIP Gayle Sayers | The Boneyard

RIP Gayle Sayers

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1. RIP
2. His ability to stop, change direction and accelerate was some of the best ever.
3. I am worst ever at dead or alive game. I easily would have guessed he had died 10 years ago.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Kansas Comet. Never saw him live, but watching clips he was as exciting a runner as anybody ever, possibly with Barry Sanders, another Kansas guy. Just amazing to watch him in the open field.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He was a pure, rare talent
Can you imagine what stats he would have had he played longer?
What he did in 8+ seasons was/is unreal PLUS he was a joy to watch SMOOOOOTH
RIP GS - now with your brother Brian P.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I remember watching Brian's Song back on ABC, I think. It is a compelling telling of Sayers' story.

Rest in peace Gayle.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The Kansas Comet. Never saw him live, but watching clips he was as exciting a runner as anybody ever, possibly with Barry Sanders, another Kansas guy. Just amazing to watch him in the open field.

Back in the day when every game wasn't available and there was no ESPN I used to wait for the weekly NFL Highlight show to see just what Gayle Sayres did that would blow my mind

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The youngest inducted Pro Football Hall of Fame at 34. I only watch clips, but he was dynamic and did things that no one has ever done. The closet was Barry Sanders, but not as fast.

May he RIP and prayers for his family

Reaction Score
Gayle Sayers has the best and smoothest change of direction I have ever watched. He could be running flat out in one direction and in a step be running at the same speed in another direction. Would be tacklers would be flying at him and then they would be flying by him.

Barry Sanders could change directions almost as quickly with his jump step but Sayers didn't need that little hop. He just went one way than another without breaking stride. It was surreal.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gayle Sayers has the best and smoothest change of direction I have ever watched. He could be running flat out in one direction and in a step be running at the same speed in another direction. Would be tacklers would be flying at him and he they flying by him.

Barry Sanders could change directions almost as quickly with his jump step but Sayers didn't need that little hop. He just went one way than another without breaking stride. It was surreal.

And Gale did it on crappy sodded fields and fields which were baseball/football dual purpose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom