RIP Dikembe Mutombo | The Boneyard

RIP Dikembe Mutombo

Reaction Score
By all accounts a great guy and amazing shot blocker. Sad to see this news. He has a semi famous part in UConn history. When Georgetown was going to be ranked #1 (in the 1989-90 season) with a win over UConn, the Huskies knocked off the Hoyas in the Hartford CC in one of the loudest games ever in that building. At one point during the game, Mutombo lined up during a free throw next to Nadav Henefeld and was trash talking him. The Dove then hit a couple of threes down the stretch to put the game away in one of the biggest wins in UConn history

'Larger than life' Mutombo dies of brain cancer

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He was once described by an NBA opponent as "like playing against a robot" meaning he never ever seemed to tire out or let up. A great credit to the man and the profession.

Rest in Peace Dikembe.

Reaction Score
Very sad. Met him when I was very young at a basketball camp, seemed like an alien how huge he was, but also was really nice. Got a picture with him, don’t know if I can find it though.

Reaction Score
The 1990 big east tournament win over G'town was what Jim Calhoun said "put us on the map." Not only did G'town have Dikembe but they also had Alonzo Mourning. And, to make matters worse, we lost Rod Sellers in the first 2 minutes of the game. But Tate George, John Gwyn, and "The Dove" poured in a combined 27 points for the win. Backup center Dan Cyrulik was tasked with handling both Mourning and Mutombo and did a solid job.

The rest is history.

Reaction Score
RIP Dikembe
Always liked him.
Great player and even BETTER PERSON.
Humanitarian and did a lit to help his people in his native country.
He will be missed.
Particularly sad for me when people that I grew up knowing and in my age group start passing away.
Sobering reality that you have to live life to the fullest, take chances, don't delay things too long because you never know when your time is up.

Reaction Score
By all accounts a great guy and amazing shot blocker. Sad to see this news. He has a semi famous part in UConn history. When Georgetown was going to be ranked #1 (in the 1989-90 season) with a win over UConn, the Huskies knocked off the Hoyas in the Hartford CC in one of the loudest games ever in that building. At one point during the game, Mutombo lined up during a free throw next to Nadav Henefeld and was trash talking him. The Dove then hit a couple of threes down the stretch to put the game away in one of the biggest wins in UConn history

I was there. Epic win for the program at that point. The Hartford Civic Center was a great home venue during that period. Cuse and Gtown back to back, if I recall correctly. The beginning of an unbelievable ascension.

Reaction Score

Yep, definitely was Mourning and I think it was really nasty, antisemitic and homophobic stuff, too. I, like I think everyone else, always liked Mutombu. Seemed like an incredibly nice guy who obviously did a ton for his country and the world. I always liked that he didn't seem to take himself too serious. As a quasi-Sonics fan in the 90s, him clutching the ball as a Nugget and screaming is a lasting memory.

Reaction Score
Yep, definitely was Mourning and I think it was really nasty, antisemitic and homophobic stuff, too. I, like I think everyone else, always liked Mutombu. Seemed like an incredibly nice guy who obviously did a ton for his country and the world. I always liked that he didn't seem to take himself too serious. As a quasi-Sonics fan in the 90s, him clutching the ball as a Nugget and screaming is a lasting memory.
One of the classiest NBA players ever.

Reaction Score

I was there . The old Mall was shaking from the noise .
I remember Mourning Trash talking , and blowing kisses .
Both their bigs are NBA HOF‘ers and we had Sellers a skinny 6’8 sophomore.at the 5 .
The pressure we put on the ball and denial of the entry pass , were the Master JC at his bests .
That team had 4 guys on the AZ all- time defensive team two first team . Only group to have 4 .
That‘s an elite company.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom