RIP Dee Rowe | The Boneyard

RIP Dee Rowe

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This is a repeat but it seems appropriate. Years ago I was down there
watching a women's practice and I noticed Dee Rowe come in and sit in the stands...all by himself.
I went over to say hello [never having met the man but feeling as if I knew him] and inquired about his then-current health problems.
To say he was ever gracious to a stranger is an understatement. He said he was fine but he would get tired doing office work and would come over to watch the men or women practice...he said that watching the kids play would energize him and then he would head back to the office. It was perfectly clear that he was crazy about both Jim Calhoun [then head coach]and Geno.
He obviously goes way back into the history of high school and college hoops in New England..being a tad elderly so do I. We exchanged some names and stories of the past with some humor and emotion. He simply could not have been a better representative of the university RIP.

Not positive about this but I think that during one of Geno's Olympic stints...maybe London...he made sure that Dee was able to join the traveling party so that experience would be Dee's also.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
from WIKI

"Rowe participated in the search committees which brought Hall of Fame coaches Jim Calhoun (men's basketball) and Geno Auriemma (women's basketball) to Connecticut. He also played an instrumental role in the foundation of the Big East conference.[3] Rowe was the architect of the fundraising arm for UConn athletics, which over the course of 13 years raised millions of dollars for a variety of projects including the building of the Harry A. Gampel Pavilion.[3]

Rowe was unable to participate as assistant coach due to the US boycott of the 1980 Olympics. Rowe had a framed picture of the 1980 United States Olympic men's basketball team hanging on his office wall."

Reaction Score
The loss of an icon says it best, RIP coach.
He was not just a part of the staff at UConn he was a part of UConn. :(

Reaction Score
Years ago I met Coach Rowe just once, introduced by a friend of mine that went to UCONN.
Coach and I talked for about 15 minutes and he made me feel like I was the most important person in the room! We talked as if we were old time friends, exchanging stories.
In Yiddish Coach Rowe was a Mensch, a respected "Man's Man"! A man of integrity and honor!
I was extremely saddened by his passing but he lived a long life well served! R.I.P.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I would think it appropriate if the women wore a patch on their uniforms to honor Dee at the game on Wednesday.

BTW: Aluminny mentions that Dee would have gone to the Olympics as as an assistant coach in 1980 except for our boycott of those games. I think his absence there fueled Geno's efforts to make sure he got to The Games when Geno had some pull in the matter.

Reaction Score

This is a must watch interview if you wish to get a feel for the genuine affection Geno had for Dee and the type of affection that all who met Dee had for him. I had the pleasure to make Dee's acquaintance many years ago after he spoke to our CT Mutual Life insurance agency during one of our agency meetings (our General Agent Jerry Coursey and Dee were good friends); suffice it to say, Dee had the room in the palm of his hands. You could not come away from an interaction with Dee without loving the man, because he made you believe he felt that way about you; yes, being in his company made you feel better. We lost a wonderful human being over the weekend; RIP Dee.

Reaction Score
I once was lucky enough to take a coaching class from Dee in the early 70's. That was generally only available to PE majors, but I requested an exception to the rule, based on my desire to pursue a possible broadcasting career. At that time I was like a backup color-man for WHUS the student station, and I did a couple of games, but convinced myself I probably shouldn't count on it as a career! Ha!

Still the class was great, and he had a way about how he carried himself that was just very classy. The broadcasting was interesting too. I only got to do the games nobody else wanted to go to, away games at New Hampshire and Colgate. The entire operation was three people driving there in a VW bug, the play by play man, me, and the engineer and his equipment.

By the way that reminds me of a story. This story pertained to a former player that was about 6-8 and drove a VW bug. People would ask him, how can you possibly fit in that little car and he would say, "easy, I just ripped out the front seat and drove from the back!"

Reaction Score
Several years ago, I was on a vacation tour of Italy. Dee and Ginny were on the same trip which was a gift from their children. We chatted a bit. He was friendly but when he heard that I was a season ticket holder at the then Civic Center, he became more animated. I felt like I was his best friend. At the end of the trip he gave me his business card and told me to call if I wanted good seats at Gampel! We chatted often during the following many years at games in the Civic Center. Each time he and Ginny greeted me like a long lost friend. The world has lost a beautiful, gracious couple. He is now with his beloved Ginny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom