OT: RIP- Dean Smith | The Boneyard

OT: RIP- Dean Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Successful coach, although I hated the pre-shot clock four corners "offense."

But he still was the only man to hold Michael Jordan below 20 points a game on a regular basis.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Oldbones said:
Successful coach, although I hated the pre-shot clock four corners "offense." But he still was the only man to hold Michael Jordan below 20 points a game on a regular basis.

More importantly, a man has passed away. My condolences to his family, to the University of North Carolina, and to the Tar Heel faithful.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
RIP to a great coach and a great man. Truly a sad day here in the state of North Carolina, for both Tarheel fans and rival fans as well.
Nice post. It may be possible to dislike the Heel teams or UNC, but Dean Smith was almost universally revered.

Reaction Score
Coach Smith will always be aces in my eyes for bringing Charlie(he preferred to be called Charles) Scott to Chapel Hill back in the 60's thus opening the door for all the good and great black players that followed.

A number of years ago , I read a book about Jim Valvano's years at NC State during which a player talked of the tremendous respect he had for Dean Smith and how considerate he was of all his players. There was a quote in the book which stated that Dean Smith could be meeting in his office with the university president and would ask the university president to leave if a player came to his office unexpectedly to talk to him.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Dean Smith was not just an outstanding basketball coach, he was an outstanding citizen. He was one of the driving forces behind integrating basketball teams in the South.

Reaction Score
RIP.

He and Al McGuire and John Wooden were among my favorite college coaches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom