RIP Bunny Wailer | The Boneyard

RIP Bunny Wailer

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

Reggae was probably my greatest discovery a UConn, got to see Tosh twice during my time there, and Bunny twice after (including the historic 1986 show at MSG). Rest in Power Jah B

Join us in celebrating Bunny's life today - light up your herb like Peter and Bunny, and stream some of The Wailers' best: https://found.ee/ThisIsTheWailers

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Been jammin' since 1982 when I first heard the song "Bodyguard" by Steel Pulse. Have been to a -ton of reggae shows since.

As for the old school guys I have seen Toots Hibbert, Burning Spear and Bunny at Toads Place. All wicked great shows. I am not sure if Bunny toured with The Wailers in the past 10 to 20 years. I saw Junior Marvin lead the group a few years ago.

Seen Ziggy Marley, Steel Pulse, UB40, The Green, Third World, Maxi Priest et all a lot.

Soja, Stick Figure and Rebelution are on my hit list...

Thanks for giving Bunny a tip of the spliff!!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Steel Pulse (David Hines) via Facebook

·
??????????-??????? ?? ?????

10.04.1947- 02.03.2021

When it comes to the legacy of the original of the original Wailers, Bunny Wailer, aka, Bunny Livingston, aka Neville O’Riley, aka Jah B, has closed this chapter with a deservedly one hundred gunshot salute, a drum roll and with Jamaica’s flag flying at half mast. His career was one that chronicled the journey of the Rastaman right from its humble beginnings to this present time. And if my memory serves me correctly it was Bunny that was first out of three revolutionaries, to have donned his dreadlocks. This was quite evident when one surfed through the colourful photos that were composite to their second album with Island Records, titled, “Burning.” If you’re familiar with this masterpiece, you will be appreciative of the role Bunny played on the album, most in particular on the track, “Rastaman Chant, where his voice was that of an arch angel rising above to reach higher and higher. It showed us all that the years they spent perfecting their trade with the help of the late Joe Higgs in the studios of Lee Perry, Harry J and Coxone Dodd, paid off. It showed that these three men had a package that after 60 years of Jamaican popular music, that this package had yet to be equalled on the island or anywhere in the industry, for that matter. As you know, this package came up to its “sell by date,” and had branched off into 3 different entities, with each individual being just as mystical and charismatic in their own rights as each other.

Although Bunny was the smallest of the three he became the giant of them all when he delivered his first solo album, “Blackheart Man,” (1976). I’ve always credited “Blackheart Man.” to be one of the best reggae album of all time. I’m getting goose bumps as I write this. Because there is no doubt in my mind that Bunny had an ‘out of body experience’ while delivering this composition. All Rastaman on the planet embraced it as a textbook and ritual to our devoted beliefs. Every word, uttered on this vinyl was pure and true. Sadly to say, that Bunny was so wrapped up in his vows that he never capitalised on the album’s publicity at that time, in support of Rasta having no business to be travelling on an “Iron bird.” And so it took the world 10 more years to see the man himself in the flesh, spitting fire at Babylon. It was rumoured that Joe Higgs was the one that intercepted his position on the international circuit, whenever he was in that kind of “Rastaman” mood.

So Bunny finally lets rip internationally, at Madison Square Garden in 1986, where several thousand fans finally had their prayers answered. Bunny Wailer’s concerts were not simply concerts. They were like ceremonies that exemplified his commitment to his faith.

Bunny Livingston, from Kingston Jamaica, was born April 10, 1947, being younger than Bob by two years. Not many people are aware that Bunny and Bob were raised in the same household throughout their childhood years. Being stepbrothers they shared one biological sister called, Pearl. So although The Wailers parted, both men held each other close to heart. As you know Bunny covered a lot of Bob’s songs in honour of him, including some that Bunny actually wrote with him.

Now that this iconic era has come to a close, its important that these characters and their works remain fixated in our hearts and minds, because there will be no time in the future that we will ever bear witness again to such a union. Steel Pulse had the pleasure of meeting Bunny for very first time after a soundcheck at Jamaica’s Sunsplash in 1983. We went on to tour together in Hawaii many years ago and also French Guyana. We will treasure those moments knowing that they will never be recaptured. The seven album box set that he released 2 decades ago, should be a collectors item for all, because it documented verbally his journey. NEVILLE O’RILEY LIVINGSTON, the recipient of Jamaica’s Order Of Merit (2016) and most recent the DARC foundation, “Life time achievement” award (2018), we love you. RIP RIP.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this.

Reaction Score
No better example of turning oppression into something joyous than reggae. Jah bless Bunny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom