RIP Bob Gibson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Bob Gibson

Reaction Score
The MLB batting average in 1968 was .237

This is not a misprint

And the MLB batting average in 2020 was .245. And in 2019 there were 25 shutouts in MLB - total.

Still think 13 shutouts in a season is awfully damn impressive. You have to go back to 1916 and Pete Alexander to find a pitcher with more in a season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the memories and stats. Gibby ate the lunch of my Phillies in the 60s.

Reaction Score
Another Bob Gibson story.

Boston Globe 10-17-20 by Dan Shaughnessy.

"I bumped into the super-competitive Gibson in an elevator about 30 years ago and told him about a rookie slugger who had homered off Roger Clemens, then asked Clemens to sign the ball. I could see steam coming off the top of Gibson’s head as I told him the story.

I asked Gibson what he would have done in that situation, and he said, “I would have hit him in the head the next time I faced him, then offered to sign his head!”

Reaction Score
Bob Gibson was also a Harlem Globetrotter, Golden glove boxer, occasional pinch runner and hit 300 one season. When Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken were entered in the hall of fame, they were asked "What pitcher in history would you most like to face". They reponded "You mean least like to face." Bob Gibson

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The teachers back then allowed us to listen to the games in class with transistor radios, reception scratchy at best but we listened nevertheless. The evening paper always had a partial score on the front page.

You‘ve got a witness!! Those were the days. Mid-week daytime World Series games that you would have missed if not for that trusty transistor radio and the single ear piece.

I was never lucky enough to have a teacher that allowed us to listen to the games. I had to be creative to listen to the games. I remember one of the sponsors was Gillette razor blades. “How are you fixed for blades, you better check“ :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm surprised anyone ever hit him - at all. What a pitcher. He was really something in '67 vs my beloved Sox. RIP Bob Gibson - as intimidating as any pitcher I ever saw.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I asked Gibson what he would have done in that situation, and he said, “I would have hit him in the head the next time I faced him, then offered to sign his head!”
I love this

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom