Right now, Geno is a guest analyst in the Seattle-Sun game on ABC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Right now, Geno is a guest analyst in the Seattle-Sun game on ABC

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I love seeing his interaction with current and former players. Great stuff!

Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a UConn love fest. We need more of them. Great broadcast today featuring these 3.
I’m sure Muffet would agree that is if she didn’t swallow her tuffet....
It was also a great promo for the UConn program. If Muffet was watching I bet she developed a bad case of indigestion during the broadcast. There was one graphic that showed the outstanding accomplishments of the UConn women in the WNBA. If I were a top recruit watching this game and aspiring to a pro career I think I’d call Geno and ask to sign on the dotted line right away.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sue says she at 38 has to be really smart about rehab and the damage was more than they anticipated. She may well miss entire season. But the work on the knee was worth it.

“It’s doing really well,” Bird said. “It’s been super easy recovery so far. Taking it easy because they had to do a little more than they anticipated. The first six weeks are boring for me.”

Bird said that Dr. Michael Joyce, who performed the surgery, found a little more than expected and had to make an incision on the side and not just go in arthroscopically.

“It’s been an experience where I didn’t realize how much pain I had been in until it was gone,” Bird said. “Things in your regular life become that much more normal which is really nice. “I felt instant relief... my range of motion is much greater than it was. Forget basketball, it made a difference in my life.”

Bird recovering from knee surgery, not sure of return date

Thanks ken.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a UConn love fest. We need more of them. Great broadcast today featuring these 3.

Could not disagree more. The game was completely ignored for LONG stretches. Who was the foul on? How many fouls do they have? Who subbed in/out of the game? This is the same ESPN BS that has drawn consistent criticism here. If anything, it was more egregious than ever. The broadcast was supposed to be about a basketball game, not UConn old home day. Too bad because I think Geno would have provided great insight and color ABOUT THE GAME if ESPN had a real play-by-play person leading the broadcast. At one point in the yuck-fest he pointed out that there was a game in progress...

Reaction Score
Just before the game started they were discussing Jonquel Jones and he said most of the post payers nowadays have ball skills and like to play on the perimeter. And getting them to bang down low (as Jonquel is willing to do) is the key to making them into a great player.

Sue doing her coaching schtick...
**cough cough** Azura **cough cough**

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Williams gave Moriah fits to the point where Geno pulled Mo off her and replaced her with Gabby who did a reasonably good job of defending her.
Yeah, Courtney was perhaps the only player Moriah--the DPOY--couldn't guard.

Reaction Score
But what about that game...who won? Must have been exciting.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It was also a great promo for the UConn program. If Muffet was watching I bet she developed a bad case of indigestion during the broadcast. There was one graphic that showed the outstanding accomplishments of the UConn women in the WNBA. If I were a top recruit watching this game and aspiring to a pro career I think I’d call Geno and ask to sign on the dotted line right away.
and it was on ABC... so even if a recruit doesnt have cable she could still pull up the rabbit ears

Reaction Score
Geno showing lots of love for Anigwe. Complimented her athleticism and effort, and the quality minutes she's giving in this game.
On the Anigwe thread on other basketball I've been highly critical of Anigwe . I defer to Gino in his praise of her rebounding and defense. I wonder how he would deal with issues of attitude, motivation, and teamwork if he had the opportunity to coach her.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
On the Anigwe thread on other basketball I've been highly critical of Anigwe . I defer to Gino in his praise of her rebounding and defense. I wonder how he would deal with issues of attitude, motivation, and teamwork if he had the opportunity to coach her.
Personally, I have seen zero concrete evidence to support the allegations that she has a bad attitude and lacks motivation or teamwork. Folks who have seen Sun practices said they witnessed the opposite, if anything, and Gottlieb was a huge, huge Anigwe booster, literally saying she "loved this kid." Tara was always very, very complimentary of her too. So I say either show receipts or stop trashing her without an established basis for it, cause it's really not fair to her to spread unfounded rumors.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Let's recall that Geno has actually played against her as well. With the premium that he puts on attitude and effort, I have a feeling he wouldn't go out of his way to compliment a player who was as you describe her.

Reaction Score
Personally, I have seen zero concrete evidence to support the allegations that she has a bad attitude and lacks motivation or teamwork. Folks who have seen Sun practices said they witnessed the opposite, if anything, and Gottlieb was a huge, huge Anigwe booster, literally saying she "loved this kid." Tara was always very, very complimentary of her too. So I say either show receipts or stop trashing her without an established basis for it, cause it's really not fair to her to spread unfounded rumors.
I am not certain how I have given offense . . . in the post on this thread I indicated that I would defer to Geno in his assessment of Anigwe's play against the Storm. I also am not certain what would qualify as "show receipts" you indicate that "Folks who have seen Sun practices" have a positive view of her attitude and interaction as a teammate. My comments are based upon my viewing of the player over 4 years of high school play in Arizona and viewing her play 4 times at ASU Wells Fargo arena as Cal played the Lady Devils. Are my in person impressions some how less that "Folks who have seen Sun practices?". While you have personally "seen zero concrete evidence" of an issue with attitude and motivation or teamwork and I would never question your impression and recommend that you stop praising her without an established basis, I would wonder why I would not have the same consideration. In rereading my posts on Aniqwe I note that I have made careful not to use offensive, belittling, or comments.

That said, questioning the attitude and motivation of a player does not seem to fall into the category of "trashing". Further, fans and followers can view athletes differently and isn't that one of the reasons that we engage in civil discourse on the BY to explore these topics?

As I indicated, my view is based upon 7 years of watching Anigwe, as an example, in the January 13, 2019 loss to ASU at Wells Fargo in which she achieved a double double on 5 of 17 shooting from the field (lots of free throws) against triple teams by the much shorter Sun Devils she had 0 assists and, when removed before the second and third quarters for a much needed rest walked past her coach and the outstretched high fives of teammates without a glance to sit at the end of the bench. Now, I made an interpretation of this and other similar actions over the 7 years I watch her play. Another interpretation was that she was exhausted and lacked energy to respond to the coach and her teammates.

None of us can get into the head of a player, we merely interpret what we see on and off the court.

Anigwe has size, talent and mobility, a combination that naturally leads to high expectations. Just as a fan of Cal basketball, Gottlieb and Anigwe might find her exemplifying a positive attitude in practice and games, another reasonable fan might look at the situation I described above, one of many I viewed over a 7 year period, as lacking team orientation. I would not question an observer with a different view nor would I demand a "showing of receipt" or try to end or silence an opposing point of view.

Having said that, if your underlying motivation in your response was coming from a attitude that players need to be treated with respect and consideration, I do agree with that. I object to either unwarranted and false observations, demeaning comments, personal attacks and character assassination. None of these were intended and, looking back over my comments I do not believe any of them fall into that category.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom