Rick Pitino: Navy & Air Force Joining Big East (FB Only) By End Of Week | The Boneyard

Rick Pitino: Navy & Air Force Joining Big East (FB Only) By End Of Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Honestly, it's not the worse thing in the world. Who did you want to add instead of them to get our membership back up to 9 members?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Its for the next TV contract, and they don't bring a basketball team with them. Not ideal, but not terrible either.

Boeheim needs to come off his ACC high if he thinks St. Johns or Georgetown will schedule Syracuse ever again. Syracuse just told the basketball schools to buzz off AND cost them millions on the next TV deal. He needs NYC and DC for recruiting. Why would they play him again?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Honestly, it's not the worse thing in the world. Who did you want to add instead of them to get our membership back up to 9 members?

Army instead of Air Force. Other than being a worse team (and let's be honest, BE FB is going to suck), they have better ratings, history, and a bigger fanbase.

Oh, and they're also NOT IN COLORADO.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Army instead of Air Force. Other than being a worse team (and let's be honest, BE FB is going to suck), they have better ratings, history, and a bigger fanbase.

Agree. Drivable road game too.

Reaction Score
Dear Lord, please deliver us onto the ACC soon!

Reaction Score
he doesn't mention UConn:

"We still have top-20 teams in Cincinnati, Georgetown, Marquette, Louisville, Villanova and West Virginia. We still have a great league. The schools like Rutgers and DePaul are getting much better. Losing Syracuse and Pitt hurts our quality, but 17 was going to be ridiculous."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

You act as if we probably didn't ask Army to join. It's football only, who cares if it's in Colorado, that means 4 Big East teams fly our there a year, get over it.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I'm going to go ahead and say that we never play Air Force

zls44

Reaction Score
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/09/big_east_will_look_to_add_navy.html

One college official said Air Force and Navy are on board with the idea of joining the Big East for football only, with Army still reluctant to do so.
"But if the league gets the other two, there's a good chance Army will come as well," he said.
A person familiar with Tuesday's meeting said the league presidents dismissed the idea of adding Conference-USA schools Memphis, Houston and East Carolina.

Reaction Score

Then maybe we should just accept URI into the BE. If drivable road games are the goal.

Reaction Score
Apparently the league is looking to solidify by adding three programs that are virtually guaranteed to never get a BCS invite from another conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Apparently the league is looking to solidify by adding three programs that are virtually guaranteed to never get a BCS invite from another conference.

WingU, just from reading the board, it seems my view point tends to align with yours. However, I'm ok with this move, it seems that you aren't. Just curious as to what potential BCS schools were out there to invite? You have to think Baylor and Iowa State don't leave if the Big12 ends up staying together?

zls44

Reaction Score
If they're going to go THAT FAR West, then F IT!

Just invite Boise State.

Reaction Score
WingU, just from reading the board, it seems my view point tends to align with yours. However, I'm ok with this move, it seems that you aren't. Just curious as to what potential BCS schools were out there to invite? You have to think Baylor and Iowa State don't leave if the Big12 ends up staying together?

It's not my first choice. Baylor/ISU leaving looks less likely, but we have time. We don't have to move right now, these schools will still be there. I like Navy, I wish Army had Air Force's recent history so we could invite those two. Navy has 8 straight bowls, DC market, will help with bowls in this area. Air Force has 4 straight bowl games. Both have excellent academics obviously. I don't hate the move, but it feels rushed.

My concern is 1) getting into the acc, and 2) retaining BCS status by means necessary. If this move does that, I'm fine with it.

I do think it's ironic that we chose these programs over UCF and ECU. Not wrong, just strange. My initial reaction is that it's because they'd probably never leave.

Reaction Score
The BE can kiss the AQ goodbye. It's going to the MWC or somewhere else the BCS isn't going to risk having a service academy in a BCS game. I've said it before and will again, if the perception of the BE in football was hammered by our being in a BCS game last year imagine the uproar is Navy somehow gets an AQ bid.

These additions don't make the conference stronger, it simply fills holes and I'd say weakens it from perceptual perspective. Please someone with access to historical ratings please look at how Air Force and Navy games rate. Don't look at Army/Navy (historical significance) or Navy/ND (ND draw), but how about Navy/Rutgers, Navy/Wake, etc. and see how meaningful their fan base is or isn't. Do we think Navy out draws Maryland or UVA in the DC market (ticket sales or ratings), maybe but I doubt it. What does UCONN possibly have in common with the service acadamies?

While the other conference brands are saying no, like any good brand does, the Big East is just saying yes and as a result making itself look even more desperate than everyone knows it is.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If they're going to go THAT FAR West, then F IT!

Just invite Boise State.

Fair point. Boise St. most definitely jumps at the chance to be a football only member. Not sure why it isn't being considered?

Reaction Score
If we want to save our BCS bid, we may have to bring in BSU.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's not my first choice. Baylor/ISU leaving looks less likely, but we have time. We don't have to move right now, these schools will still be there. I like Navy, I wish Army had Air Force's recent history so we could invite those two. Navy has 8 straight bowls, DC market, will help with bowls in this area. Air Force has 4 straight bowl games. Both have excellent academics obviously. I don't hate the move, but it feels rushed.

My concern is 1) getting into the acc, and 2) retaining BCS status by means necessary. If this move does that, I'm fine with it.

I do think it's ironic that we chose these programs over UCF and ECU. Not wrong, just strange. My initial reaction is that it's because they'd probably never leave.

Those concerns are exactly what UConn's concerns should be right now.

I wonder though if we should've considered Houston, UCF and ECU to get to 12 members? Why not Boise State as a football only? Basketball gets pushed to 18, but that really can't be the concern right now.

Reaction Score
Let's invite Boise State (seriously, not a terrible option at this point), Alaska - decent hockey and this: , and Hawaii - great vacations! to complete the time zone quintafecta. Don't know if that's a word. We'd bring in a legit team, score the award for greatest intro video in the country, and have a cool (irony!) place to visit each year and watch us play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom