Rich: Huskies pleased but want more from the bench | The Boneyard

Rich: Huskies pleased but want more from the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Said Auriemma: “That group that we have in the starting lineup, I don’t have any issues with. So I would say our bench has to develop into really, really reliable players that offensively can give us something as the season winds down. They’ve got to be able to be productive. We’ve got to know exactly what we’re going to get when we put those guys in the game.’’

Auriemma pointed out this week during a film session that the reserves have been outscored 46-22 over a combined stretch of 27:55 at Marquette Jan. 12, at Cincinnati Jan. 26 and against Villanova Tuesday. They suffered through scoreless stretches of 5:41 and 3:19 against the Bearcats and 6:05 against the Golden Eagles.

Their play lately has left the reserves with a feeling that they are letting the team down.

LINK

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Geno has to take responsibility for the lack of offense vs. Cinci.. It was obvious that the reserves had orders to avoid fast breaks.

U

UCONNfan1

Geno has to take responsibility for the lack of offense vs. Cinci.. It was obvious that the reserves had orders to avoid fast breaks.
Fast breaks have zero to do with an inability to score in the half court and to be outscored by your opponent. People made that comment several times when the issue of the reserves being outscored, and it's just incorrect.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fast breaks have zero to do with an inability to score in the half court and to be outscored by your opponent. People made that comment several times when the issue of the reserves being outscored, and it's just incorrect.
I agree with the first statement. Part of the reason for less scoring is the absence of the press and fast breaks. But you are right--they are not running the half-court very well.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The bench half-court offense is pretty disappointing. The spacing is noticeably different and one gets the sense the players are out there saying, "Where should I go now?"

Reaction Score
i think he's asking a bit more from freshman than he's asked for in the past.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Now, in her third year, Stef has begun to master the nuances of playing the high post.

If unguarded, she can knock down shots from 15+ feet. If guarded, she can face the basket and at 6'5" she has an unobstructed view of wings cutting or the low post target (ideally, Stewart). And Stef is a helluva passer (a la Kaili McLaren).

Or, she can turn sideways and do a pick and roll with Kaleena, Bria, Brianna, or Kelly cutting around her in such a way as to lead their defender SMACK! into her. Then (1) "pick" the defender and hand off, (2) "roll" to the basket, or (3) hold in place to screen for an outside shot by the cutter.

Stef has shown the capacity for performing any or all of these skills.

This very fundamental pick 'n' roll play is not yet available to our reserves (no Stef!) which seriously limits half-court offensive options.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How much time do you think the last five on the bench actually practice as a unit? Geno is working the regular rotation against the guys. It's doubtful that the players you see close games work exteneded minutes in practice.

Not sure what everyone is expecting from them. The cards are stacked against them to perform well as a unit.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And you are absolutely wrong. 100% wrong. Couldn't possibly be more wrong. One of the most wrong things I've read this week. Completely clueless comment with regards to basketball. Can I be anymore emphatic with how wrong this is?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Now, in her third year, Stef has begun to master the nuances of playing the high post.

If unguarded, she can knock down shots from 15+ feet. If guarded, she can face the basket and at 6'5" she has an unobstructed view of wings cutting or the low post target (ideally, Stewart). And Stef is a helluva passer (a la Kaili McLaren).

Or, she can turn sideways and do a pick and roll with Kaleena, Bria, Brianna, or Kelly cutting around her in such a way as to lead their defender SMACK! into her. Then (1) "pick" the defender and hand off, (2) "roll" to the basket, or (3) hold in place to screen for an outside shot by the cutter.

Stef has shown the capacity for performing any or all of these skills.

This very fundamental pick 'n' roll play is not yet available to our reserves (no Stef!) which seriously limits half-court offensive options.
Anytime Dolson is not in the game, our half court offense suffers. Probably more than anyone else.

U

UCONNfan1

And you are absolutely wrong. 100% wrong. Couldn't possibly be more wrong. One of the most wrong things I've read this week. Completely clueless comment with regards to basketball. Can I be anymore emphatic with how wrong this is?
LOL that was funny. Dumb, but funny.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
LOL that was funny. Dumb, but funny.
Ah and I was being nice.

Maybe you might want to explain?????? If you are capable that is.

U

UCONNfan1

Ah and I was being nice.

Maybe you might want to explain?????? If you are capable that is.
Explain what? I was pretty clear. You were the one who went bonkers. I thought for a minute you were a 5 year old girl. I actually thought your reply was an attempt at humor. The fact that it was a serious reply is a sad testament to the fools that sometimes post on this board. It's no wonder lurkers stay that way. If you are incapable of disagreeing with someone without a shred of reasoning, and simply want to make snotty and childish comments, you should't be surprised when someone replies back in kind.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Explain what? I was pretty clear. You were the one who went bonkers. I thought for a minute you were a 5 year old girl. I actually thought your reply was an attempt at humor. The fact that it was a serious reply is a sad testament to the fools that sometimes post on this board. It's no wonder lurkers stay that way. If you are incapable of disagreeing with someone without a shred of reasoning, and simply want to make snotty and childish comments, you should't be surprised when someone replies back in kind.
It's just that it was such a ignorant post by you, I couldn't help going bonkers. (granted there was a little humor thrown in there, mostly making fun of your post, a little hyperbole if you will)

Explain how not allowing UCONN to push the tempo, break when available, doesn't contribute to not outscoring one's opponent. Go ahead, this should be hilarious.

U

UCONNfan1

It's just that it was such a ignorant post by you, I couldn't help going bonkers. (granted there was a little humor thrown in there, mostly making fun of your post, a little hyperbole if you will)

Explain how not allowing UCONN to push the tempo, break when available, doesn't contribute to not outscoring one's opponent. Go ahead, this should be hilarious.
Are you seriously that dumb? You really think that against one of the worst teams in the big east, that even if we took a full 30 seconds for every possession that it's impossible for us to out score Cincy over the last 10 minutes of the game? THAT'S hilarious. By your logic, Villanova would never ever win a single game. Not ever. After all they take 30 seconds to get a shot off, so they can't possibly score more than the other team. Absolutely insane. Literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a message board, and there are some remarkably dumb people who post on the boards.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Are you seriously that dumb? You really think that against one of the worst teams in the big east, that even if we took a full 30 seconds for every possession that it's impossible for us to out score Cincy over the last 10 minutes of the game? THAT'S hilarious. By your logic, Villanova would never ever win a single game. Not ever. After all they take 30 seconds to get a shot off, so they can't possibly score more than the other team. Absolutely insane. Literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a message board, and there are some remarkably dumb people who post on the boards.
Yea, ok. I did not say that or even imply that. I can see what I'm dealing with here. Guess I'll have to just let this one go. Doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to get anywhere with you. Some people are like that, just can't be helped. Sorry.

Although magical2 seems to be enjoying it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom