OT: Rewards card points | The Boneyard

OT: Rewards card points

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Every year I post here about suggestions for vacations I plan, but never take. This will probably be the same, but maybe I can afford it this time.

I've been charging server fees, etc for a couple years, and now have 80,000 "points" on my credit card.

How much are 80,000 points really worth? My guess is I could get more for them in flight miles than if I took the reported cash value of $800 (which wouldn't come close to playing for a trip to Ireland or Israel, which are my dream vacations).

What can I get in travel for 80,000 points in flight and hotel rooms?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Assuming you are talking about Capital One (which is what I have) or a similar card, and not a dedicated airline or hotel card, you can get exactly $800 worth of travel (e.g., flight and hotel). You just multiply the expense by 100 and that will tell you how many miles you need for it.

I usually just use the "purchase eraser" feature and use it after the fact to reduce a future credit card bill. For example, your post just reminded me to check by points balance, and I had 113,000 points. I click on the "Purchase Eraser" button for my travel expenses and it shows me a list of eligible charges to erase (coincidentally, including a recent trip to Ireland), and I eliminated a little more than $1,000 from my balance, thereby reducing next month's payment by the same amount.

Depending on the time of year, you might be able to find a RT flight to Ireland for a little more than $800. Try Aer Lingus and make sure you check Shannon Airport. Also, Aer Lingus is now in the same family as American Airlines (as well as British Airways and Iberia Airlines), so look for flights branded as American Airlines flights and that will usually save you a few hundred dollars in ticket fees and taxes, etc.

Reaction Score
My plane ticket to Maui (fr Newark) this November cost me $11.20 (for the 9/11 security fee) due to the 96,000 miles I had on my United Visa Card. Going to cancel the card and switch to the JetBlue cardafter the trip...

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Which card points do you have? All points are not created equal.

Reaction Score
Go to thepointsguy.com and you'll have a wealth of info.

I have 1.5 million AMEX points and basically look at them and shrug and say "I'll use them someday".

Curiouser
Reaction Score
BTW, I can't speak to Israel (which is also a dream trip of mine), but I can tell you that we found Ireland to be very reasonably priced in general on our recent trip, especially as compared with England and Wales (and I hear that Paris is way more expensive than London these days). It also seemed less expensive in general than Italy, which we did around five years ago.

The B&Bs in Ireland are the best bet, and they come with a full Irish breakfast. Given what I have gleaned about your spartan lifestyle, I think you'd be surprised at how cheaply and how well you could do that trip. If you do, try to plan it so that you spend most of your time on the west coast. Dublin is obviously worth seeing, but it will likely be the most expensive part of the trip, so you should limit your time there to the minimum necessary to see what you want to see, and then head west (Galway and surrounding area; and then down to Kerry and surrounding area).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I should have one if these, but I don't. I'd easily rack up 30k a year, but I tried it once and the hassle was just too much for me to get on board with managing them.

$800 is easily one RT ticket to Dublin. Aer Linus flights from BDL start in Oct and cost about $600 right now.

My frienda tell me that finding seats that accept them is the challenge and that many airlines add a fee to use the miles, though that might just be for frequent flyer points. Something else I don't do but should.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I have 1.5 million AMEX points and basically look at them and shrug and say "I'll use them someday".
I have the Delta Sky Miles Card. Sadly I don't travel that much anymore. Quick trips to Atlanta. I have 124,500 points which I have no idea what they worth. Just like you, I look at them and move on.

Reaction Score
Used to be you could get a decent flight for 25,000 miles but those days are gone. A long distance flight is often over 50,000 miles. My brother uses the miles for hotel rooms on CitiRewards, like Comfort Inn.

BUHusky

Reaction Score

The Points Guy is good, but I like the bloggers on boardingarea.com a little better, especially One Mile at a Time. milevalue.com is also a good resource. Travel hacking is one of my bigger hobbies, thus I've been lucky enough to use points and miles to travel all over the world (many times in business class). It's not that daunting once you figure out the game.

@Northbound 1.5 million MR points is way too many to be sitting one. Perhaps it's time to book Singapore Airlines First Class Suites :) #ChurnAndBurn

BUHusky

Reaction Score
Each point is typically a cent.
If you're only getting a value of 1 cent per point/mile you're not doing it right. That, or you're collecting the wrong point currencies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I should have one if these, but I don't. I'd easily rack up 30k a year, but I tried it once and the hassle was just too much for me to get on board with managing them.

$800 is easily one RT ticket to Dublin. Aer Linus flights from BDL start in Oct and cost about $600 right now.

My frienda tell me that finding seats that accept them is the challenge and that many airlines add a fee to use the miles, though that might just be for frequent flyer points. Something else I don't do but should.

Dude, just do something like this: Citi Double Cash card. 2% back on everything, no categories, no hassles, no annual fee. I just end up applying it to the balance. That's a free 600 bucks per year for you.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I'm more than willing to take donations and hereby promise to use those points wisely.

Reaction Score
With limited or no real airline status earned by actually flying, all points are not always equal. For many airlines, the guy with 80K or more miles generated by flying takes priority over points transferred in via an external source, e.g., Amex points, bought directly from an airlone, or obtained by use of an airlines credit card.

Depending on the airline, slow v busy day, time of year, flight(s), etc., 80K miles might get somewhere domestically in coach. Across international borders, not so easily or as far especially on popular routes, at busy times, etc. Of course, it's worth a shot.

IRL v ISR: Generally, the latter's a more challenging trip for relatively inexperienced overseas travelers. Other than driving on the non-US side of the road, looking right more, etc., IRL's an easy, enjoyable destination.
Either can be great destinations.
Bon voyage.

Reaction Score
A few alternatives: buy stuff, reserve hotel rooms, transfer to certain airlines, hotel chains, etc.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Yikes - I thought I had a lot of AMEX points but 1.5M is a ton, but you can use your points to pay on Amazon and Newegg at .7 cents/point. So 10,000 points will pay for $70 worth of merchandise. Your 1.5M points could be used to spend $10,500. However using them as travel points is much more valuable than using them at Amazon or Newegg. But I suppose it's better than not using them at all.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
Chase Saphire
Nice. Ultimate Rewards (UR) points are one of the best point currencies out there. Lots of different transfer partners.

Here is one idea. If you transfer those points to British Airway's Avios program they have a sweet spot for Boston to Ireland (either Dublin or Shannon) for 12.5k miles each way in economy on Aer Lingus. 25k miles for a roundtrip to Ireland is one of the best deals out there (assuming you can find availability). Check out this post for more info: Sweet Spot: Boston to Dublin for only 25,000 British Airways Miles Round-Trip - Travel Miles 101

Here is a TPG post about the best ways to use 50k UR points: 10 Fun Ways to Use 50,000 Ultimate Rewards Points

temery

What?
Reaction Score
@BUHusky

I could do the Singapore thing AS the vacation. This looks incredible.

image.jpeg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Haha, yes many travel bloggers would argue a flight in the Singapore First Class Suites is the vacation itself.

I saw some travel show that showed the Singapore airport. They said if you go to Singapore, leave a day or to just to see the airport itself.

(I think it was Singapore?)

Reaction Score
Fellow Boneyarders, I run a travel consulting firm the specializes in award bookings and providing points/miles advice. If anyone is interested in award-related professional assistance, we would be more than happy to help. For more information, please visit us at PMMTravelConsulting.com.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro