Revised Schedule Outlook | The Boneyard

Revised Schedule Outlook

Reaction Score
OK, find a way to beat UVA on the road and there is a chance that UConn could be 3-0 after getting ECU at home for the 3rd game on Sunday 9/24. The Sunday game makes a short week going to SMU which will be brutal. Assume best case after 4 weeks of 3-1, ok with 2-2.

It is a crap shoot after that with no bye week. The consolation for no bye week is 3 home games in a row, but this includes an SEC team and the #21 team in the country. The offensive fire power of Tulsa, UCF and even Memphis seems somewhat insurmountable at this point after watching HC move the ball. However, each team and each game is different.

This team could be anywhere from 2-10 to 6-6 depending on injuries, how much the lack of speed kills the defense, turnover margin, and whether the o-line can improve.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
upload_2017-9-14_15-29-16.jpeg

Reaction Score
Edsall used to say he hated bye weeks so to an extent he gets his wish. This looks like a much better schedule to me. ECU is absolutely beatable. And I suspect that this team will be much tougher in October than they are now so if I have to play a top 25 team at some point I would rather do it in November than now.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
OK, find a way to beat UVA on the road and there is a chance that UConn could be 3-0 after getting ECU at home for the 3rd game on Sunday 9/24. The Sunday game makes a short week going to SMU which will be brutal. Assume best case after 4 weeks of 3-1, ok with 2-2.

It is a crap shoot after that with no bye week. The consolation for no bye week is 3 home games in a row, but this includes an SEC team and the #21 team in the country. The offensive fire power of Tulsa, UCF and even Memphis seems somewhat insurmountable at this point after watching HC move the ball. However, each team and each game is different.

This team could be anywhere from 2-10 to 6-6 depending on injuries, how much the lack of speed kills the defense, turnover margin, and whether the o-line can improve.

I assume best case after 4 weeks is 4-0. None of UConn's next 3 opponents are world beaters (@UVA, ECU, @SMU), and UConn was extremely short handed on Defense vs. CotHC, with No Diggs, plus the early exits of Fatukasi and Joseph. Even so, UConn found some defensive discipline and did not let up a point in the second half.

Tulsa, Memphis, and USF will all be tough, but they are also all at home. Even poorly coached teams over the last 4 years have somehow gotten up for big home games. I certainly would not be opposed to an early November cold snap (Of course I can't make the Nov. 4 game, but still...).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I assume best case after 4 weeks is 4-0. None of UConn's next 3 opponents are world beaters (@UVA, ECU, @SMU), and UConn was extremely short handed on Defense vs. CotHC, with No Diggs, plus the early exits of Fatukasi and Joseph. Even so, UConn found some defensive discipline and did not let up a point in the second half.

Tulsa, Memphis, and USF will all be tough, but they are also all at home. Even poorly coached teams over the last 4 years have somehow gotten up for big home games. I certainly would not be opposed to an early November cold snap (Of course I can't make the Nov. 4 game, but still...).

Well said.

Absolutely the "best case scenario" is 4-0 after 4 games. Even factoring in our famous northeastern negativity, I'm still shocked that folks can't imagine a "best case scenario" of winning these four games, as if we are scheduled to play Alabama, Oklahoma, and OSU.

The schedule changes actually help us in my opinion. Some of the reasons have already been captured by Husky25 (returning starters from the DL, USF in the cold, etc.). But I also like the way that the skill level of the teams will incrementally rise. From Holy Cross to Virginia / ECU (maybe UVA is slightly better, but similar at this point in their development) and then on to SMU. SMU, while seemingly potent with their offense, is a team that I don't think will challenge for the AAC title this year.

When a schedule builds up in opponent skill level, it allows you the opportunity to fine-tune the new systems and get the right players into the right plays in the right way. Look for the Huskies to be 4-0 after the Texas trip...

Reaction Score
UVA and ECU are very winnable games, SMU is tough with the short week and their high-scoring offense against what will likely be a tired defense. Starting out 3-1 though would be an excellent result. Getting three wins more wins out of Tulsa, BC, and one of Mizzou/USF at "home" isn't 100% out of this world, especially with USF coming in colder weather now.

Then again, even if we ended up 5-7 out of all of that, that's not a bad result either given the circumstances of this squad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom