Revenge Tour | The Boneyard

Revenge Tour

Reaction Score

Assisted access <

-> In his four years at the University of San Diego, Joey Calcaterra went up against Gonzaga seven times. All seven were losses. Average deficit: 30.2 points.

Similarly, Calcaterra was 0-8 against Saint Mary's. All it took was a transfer to the UConn men's basketball team for his fifth and final season to finally exorcise some demons beat both of those teams. Quite handily.

"This is a little revenge tour for me," the 6-foot-3 guard said from the winning locker room, following the Huskies' utterly impressive, 82-54 thrashing of the Zags in the West Regional finals on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena.

Calcaterra certainly played a role, knocking down a pair of 3-pointers and finishing with eight points, the most he's scored in UConn's four NCAA tourney victories… <-

Reaction Score
For the record, the 2006 team was the 180 degree opposite of this year's team. They didn't lose to Mason because of coaching, but because they had almost nobody that could handle the ball, and they were disinterested in college game with NBA stars in their eyes.

I don't think I could imagine a team MORE different from them than to his years team

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For the record, the 2006 team was the 180 degree opposite of this year's team. They didn't lose to Mason because of coaching, but because they had almost nobody that could handle the ball, and they were disinterested in college game with NBA stars in their eyes.

I don't think I could imagine a team MORE different from them than to his years team

Which is what was happening with this team in January. Glad they figured it out. We all are.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Before this started I saw this as a revenge tour but those whi were owed payback kept dropping off so I imagine the mojo Gods had a different plan.

I'm beginning to think this is an annihilation tour.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to blame their loss in the NCAAs to being more worried about NBA careers. They played too many great games during the course of that year to think they didn't care about winning. Sixty seven of sixty eight teams in a NCAA tournament lose their last game each year. Sometimes it's just that crap happens.

Reaction Score
I put some of the 2006 loss on coaching. We played the same defense the entire game and they tore us up. All we needed was something to mix it up a tiny bit. I think Calhoun was overconfident that they would eventually fold.

Reaction Score
06 wasn’t just about George mason though, all of March was a struggle. Vibe was off with that team. Doesn’t mean they didn’t care but they didn’t play with that extra level of desperation for 40 minutes that you need to play with in March.

Reaction Score
I think Texas will be the harder of the two because its a road game in from of a massive crowd of mostly 60,000 fans. My preference is that we play Miami.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
06 wasn’t just about George mason though, all of March was a struggle. Vibe was off with that team. Doesn’t mean they didn’t care but they didn’t play with that extra level of desperation for 40 minutes that you need to play with in March.
The team lacked ball handlers and a true leader. It was a team of laid back, super talented guys.

Still crazy that they should’ve had AJ Price and Andrew Bynum on the team. Had a chance to be one of the best college basketball teams ever.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't think it's fair to blame their loss in the NCAAs to being more worried about NBA careers. They played too many great games during the course of that year to think they didn't care about winning. Sixty seven of sixty eight teams in a NCAA tournament lose their last game each year. Sometimes it's just that crap happens.
We were damn lucky to escape our sweet sixteen game against Washington anyway. They should have beat us. Brandon Roy was by far the best player on the floor.

If they had beat us they probably would have been champs in 2006.

Reaction Score
Larranaga for 06 is the most obvious one left.
No no

Texas is. Sir Jabari Rice played for New Mexico State last year with Teddy Allen, the brother of Timmy Allen. Timmy and Rice play for Texas.

And this is an angle that will be much closer to home for THIS roster

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No no

Texas is. Sir Jabari Rice played for New Mexico State last year with Teddy Allen, the brother of Timmy Allen. Timmy and Rice play for Texas.

And this is an angle that will be much closer to home for THIS roster
Don't forget 2003 and the ball getting stuck on the rim.

Reaction Score
I am sure Coach JC is enjoying this special moment in Houston remembering George Mason and Coach Larranaga in 2006.

Reaction Score
We handled a Jim Larranaga team in a huge game on a national stage. Comfortably, start to finish. For the first time since March of 2006, I happily played Living on a Prayer immediately after the game. The song no longer has the power to destroy me.
That George Mason game has been like a virus in my system all these years, painful. You’re right, Larrañaga prevailing would have been bad. Betcha coach Calhoun is happy about this one too.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This is payback to Donna Shalala being one of the Presidents blocking UConn from the ACC. F THE U!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom