Retooled UConn looking to turn things around | The Boneyard

Retooled UConn looking to turn things around

Reaction Score
Zags giving UConn a lot of love today after viciously leaving us out of a couple of tweets this summer.

ZAG HATES uconn...wait wait he does... (sarcasm off) this for the zags hates uconn posters.

Reaction Score
Zags giving UConn a lot of love today after viciously leaving us out of a couple of tweets this summer.

Lol...he didn't say one positive thing. He just quoted Dwayne Killings for the entire article.

pj

Reaction Score
The quotes weren't even that accurate. But, if not mentioning UConn qualifies as hate, then giving Dwayne Killings a forum qualifies as love.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Killings says this year’s Huskies will be “versatile, tough and really aggressive on both sides of the basketball.

“We’ll play a lot of man-to-man defense, which coach prides himself on well,” Killings said. “But then [Coach Ollie] is going to give [them] a ton of freedom on offenese. We’re going to try to run a lot. We’re going to get out there and play a fun style of basketball that fans are going to like.”
:)

Reaction Score
Killings says this year’s Huskies will be “versatile, tough and really aggressive on both sides of the basketball.

“We’ll play a lot of man-to-man defense, which coach prides himself on well,” Killings said. “But then [Coach Ollie] is going to give [them] a ton of freedom on offenese. We’re going to try to run a lot. We’re going to get out there and play a fun style of basketball that fans are going to like.”

Interesting tacit acknowledgement that this team has been brutal to watch on offense for several years.

Reaction Score

Is the fact that we're going to play a lot of man-to-man defense a revelation? I'm almost definitely reading too much into it, but this could be part of the philosophical shift from what Miller brought on the bench to what Killings and Chill bring. The rift between the two appeared to originate from that dichotomy in attitudes. In a vacuum, they should have played more zone last year, and I think Miller recognized that. But I get the sense that to Ollie playing zone is an admission of defeat, and even amidst a lost season he preserved the values of the program by stubbornly sticking to his guns. It was the sort of brashness that signaled a pivotal moment in his tenure, and in the process, he has reached the climax of his autonomy to recruit, develop, and mold his players, even at the expense of alienating his mentor, Jim Calhoun.

For better or worse, this is a guy that at the very least has the balls to leave his hand-prints on the program.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
...But I get the sense that to Ollie playing zone is an admission of defeat, and even amidst a lost season he preserved the values of the program by stubbornly sticking to his guns. It was the sort of brashness that signaled a pivotal moment in his tenure, and in the process, he has reached the climax of his autonomy to recruit, develop, and mold his players, even at the expense of alienating his mentor, Jim Calhoun.

Stubbornly insisting on playing man-to-man would definitely not alienate JC. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Is the fact that we're going to play a lot of man-to-man defense a revelation? I'm almost definitely reading too much into it, but this could be part of the philosophical shift from what Miller brought on the bench to what Killings and Chill bring. The rift between the two appeared to originate from that dichotomy in attitudes. In a vacuum, they should have played more zone last year, and I think Miller recognized that. But I get the sense that to Ollie playing zone is an admission of defeat, and even amidst a lost season he preserved the values of the program by stubbornly sticking to his guns. It was the sort of brashness that signaled a pivotal moment in his tenure, and in the process, he has reached the climax of his autonomy to recruit, develop, and mold his players, even at the expense of alienating his mentor, Jim Calhoun.

For better or worse, this is a guy that at the very least has the balls to leave his hand-prints on the program.
We played a lot of zone last year.

Reaction Score
Stubbornly insisting on playing man-to-man would definitely not alienate JC. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all.

I don't think that would be what alienates JC. Firing Miller and limiting Calhoun's influence on the program might. (Important to note that I have no idea if any of this is true.)

Reaction Score
We played a lot of zone last year.

Eh, not really. By our standards, yes, but our base defense - especially in the biggest games - was still man. My hunch is that Miller wanted to install the match-up zone as the primary defense and got overruled by Ollie. In the limited amount of possessions where we did play zone, it felt like Ollie was either using it as a trial run or just throwing Miller a bone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom