Retirements and Successors | The Boneyard

Retirements and Successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've talked a lot about UConn's next coach (of course), but there are other notables who are getting up there.

Any obvious successors to Tara (age 59), Hatchell (61), and Andy Landers (60)?

For Stanford, I'm thinking her assistant Amy Tucker would be a front-runner, though she's not that much younger than Tara (7 yrs).

None of the schools have alums who have been really successful coaches, to my knowledge. So any of them may be on the open market going after whoever is hot at the time.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Tara- Shea Ralph
Hatchell- a carbon based life form
CViv- Shea Ralph
Landers- a watch that's missing the minute hand
Paretta- Shea Ralph

Reaction Score
Courtney Banghart was a finalist for the USC job. With her experience at Dartmouth (player, asst), and now Princeton, I could see her as a good fit at Stanford. But she might not be on the board when Tara retires.

If Shea goes anywhere, I still think it's something in the Carolinas. Ralph's mom was a star at UNC, so that might be enticing.

And now you've got pretty good coaches at Auburn and Alabama. IF they have some success but don't view their school as having longterm potential, then they could be in contention.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Banghart will be in contention for somewhere. Maybe not a good fit for Stanford however, remember, no schollies in the Ivy (and doubtless budgets) limit experience on the recruiting trail and she is certainly East Coast based. I get the educational bit, but I think it is a stretch.

It is really anyone's guess for those schools, but I will say I expect they all will want to make decent hires.

Villanova is perhaps the easiest to answer - Harry is younger than you think. Good for up to 10 more years maybe. And I think there are alums interested in coaching and I think that is the direction a non-big budget school like Villanova would go. And what does put it into the discussion is just the interest in Harry himself, it won't be a plum job for anyone, but he will be a hard act to follow!!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think that Harry is born in 1956 or 1957.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think that Harry is born in 1956 or 1957.
Very Close. 1955. I just had to look it up, I did know he was about my age (born '56). So he turns 58 later this year, and I don't think he is in a hurry to retire, he has a job for as long as he wants it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I had applied estimation to Harry '78 graduation from Lycoming.

Reaction Score
I'd say her quickly-proven recruiting prowess gives Tricia Stafford Odom the inside track to succeeding Sylvia Hatchell at UNC.

Reaction Score
There is one person I want to be the next head coach at
UCONN......Jeff Walz.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Courtney Banghart was a finalist for the USC job. With her experience at Dartmouth (player, asst), and now Princeton, I could see her as a good fit at Stanford. But she might not be on the board when Tara retires.

If Shea goes anywhere, I still think it's something in the Carolinas. Ralph's mom was a star at UNC, so that might be enticing.

And now you've got pretty good coaches at Auburn and Alabama. IF they have some success but don't view their school as having longterm potential, then they could be in contention.

Am I wrong that I don't see Auburn or Alabama as that supportive of wcbb and thus not that tempting for Shea?

Reaction Score
Am I wrong that I don't see Auburn or Alabama as that supportive of wcbb and thus not that tempting for Shea?

Noooo. You misinterpret. I was saying that if Flournoy-Williams at Auburn or Curry at Bama have some success, then *they* could be in contention for some of these higher profile jobs coming.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There is one person I want to be the next head coach at
UCONN......Jeff Walz.

Won't happen. Geno just re-upped for five at UConn and Jenn just did the same at Hartford. Not a coincidence. It is reasonable to expect Jenn to step into Geno's shoes and Shea to move up to replace retiring Chris Dailey at about the same time.

As for CViv, she will be retired and replaced by Gail Goestenkors who will find the salary (comparable to what they will pay Eddie Jordan) of about $1M per to be irresistable. She will hire Brooklyn Pope as her strength and conditioning coach.

Jeff Walz will edge too close to the spotlight owned by Rick Pitino and be replaced by Tyler Summitt. Fed up (pun intended) with the coaching grind he will find a new life replacing Guy Fieri on the Food Network as host of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives."

Ann Donovan will be in demand (and available) to replace either Hatchell or Landers.

Pokey Chapman will be hired to revitalize the wcbb at Liberty U. and Simone Augustus will assist her.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Won't happen. Geno just re-upped for five at UConn and Jenn just did the same at Hartford. Not a coincidence. It is reasonable to expect Jenn to step into Geno's shoes and Shea to move up to replace retiring Chris Dailey at about the same time.

As for CViv, she will be retired and replaced by Gail Goestenkors who will find the salary (comparable to what they will pay Eddie Jordan) of about $1M per to be irresistable. She will hire Brooklyn Pope as her strength and conditioning coach.

Jeff Walz will edge too close to the spotlight owned by Rick Pitino and be replaced by Tyler Summitt. Fed up (pun intended) with the coaching grind he will find a new life replacing Guy Fieri on the Food Network as host of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives."

Ann Donovan will be in demand (and available) to replace either Hatchell or Landers.

Pokey Chapman will be hired to revitalize the wcbb at Liberty U. and Simone Augustus will assist her.

..my, somebody's feeling peckish this morning!:D

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We've talked a lot about UConn's next coach (of course), but there are other notables who are getting up there.

Any obvious successors to Tara (age 59), Hatchell (61), and Andy Landers (60)?

For Stanford, I'm thinking her assistant Amy Tucker would be a front-runner, though she's not that much younger than Tara (7 yrs).

None of the schools have alums who have been really successful coaches, to my knowledge. So any of them may be on the open market going after whoever is hot at the time.

Vowelguy - Great signature line. When I heard Lawson make that comment my first thought was that sort of stuff is what puts her far ahead of all the other wcbb commentators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom