Republican Leaders Calling for More "Transparency" in UConn Budget Process | The Boneyard

Republican Leaders Calling for More "Transparency" in UConn Budget Process

Reaction Score
Technically agree, but this not about public money but the private foundation money.

I agree. Some people (like a Jonathan Pelto) want to lift the veil on everything that the Foundation does, just because. I am a donor and I can promise you that public disclosure will affect the extent to which I am willing to donate in the future.

I also think these guys are jumping up and down about the Hillary visit, a year too late. In that case, the Fusco family specifically fronted the money to pay Hillary. Insert all of the jokes you want about the Clinton Foundation, Monica Lewinsky, etc., but if a donor wants to fund a trip by a former Secretary of State to campus, you certainly welcome the opportunity -- and any Republicans who don't like it can front their own money to pay for a visit from Condoleezza Rice (which I would gladly do if I was in that strata as a donor).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is an attempt to penalize the school for its fundraising success in a very political way. Any anomalies in foundation spending would be minor and counter productive to address. We know what's coming in, what is spent, and how much goes to the school. That's enough info for oversight purposes.

The state should not take this approach for all the reasons previously stated.

Perhaps the senator should disclose all his personal, business, and political spending because we taxpayers fund him as well? I mean he uses state resources for activities that some might not consider essential to state business.

It's a dumb attack on a primary economic engine for the state.

Reaction Score
This is an attempt to penalize the school for its fundraising success in a very political way. Any anomalies in foundation spending would be minor and counter productive to address. We know what's coming in, what is spent, and how much goes to the school. That's enough info for oversight purposes.

The state should not take this approach for all the reasons previously stated.

Perhaps the senator should disclose all his personal, business, and political spending because we taxpayers fund him as well? I mean he uses state resources for activities that some might not consider essential to state business.

It's a dumb attack on a primary economic engine for the state.

It's actually even dumber than that. It's not an attack on UConn's budget in Gulley Hall, or in the School of Fine Arts, or the police chief's salary. All of that is, and should be, up for public review, consumption and debate.

This is an attack on an independent 501(c)(3) organization intended to provide support for "charitable," "educational," "scientific," "literary," and "fostering amateur sports competition" purposes, which are five of the express provisions of the 501(c)(3) language -- and to fill gaps in funding from State sources or tuition.

Why on Earth would anyone want to slow this freight train down?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Technically agree, but this not about public money but the private foundation money.
Where does it say this was about Foundation spending? There is no reference to the UConn Foundation or its Directors. McHugh is Chairman of the UConn Board of Trustees, not a UConn Foundation Director.

Reaction Score
Where does it say this was about Foundation spending? There is no reference to the UConn Foundation or its Directors. McHugh is Chairman of the UConn Board of Trustees, not a UConn Foundation Director.
May not be in that article, but that was the gist of the arguments.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
May not be in that article, but that was the gist of the arguments.
I completely disagree with you interpretation. If this was about the UConn Foundation, there would be quotes from Joshua Newton and Jerry Ganz, not Scott Jordon or Richard Orr, or Larry McHugh.

The linked article refers to a previous article, which mentions how The University is going to bridge the gap in funding not covered by the State. It says they are going to lay off some non-instructional staff and spread the workload of faculty they were planning on, but won't, hire. The Foundation does not have authority per the operating agreement over those types of decisions. They do fund raising for the University.

University Budget = public board discussion

Foundation Budget = In accordance with their by-laws.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom