Reports of UConn Players game performance in the NBA | The Boneyard

Reports of UConn Players game performance in the NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems like in recent years we've had scattered posts regarding some of our alumni, but this year I thought it would be a good idea to compile the stats in a more concerted fashion so we can monitor the progress our guys are making throughout the season. I've been in heaven tonight switching back and fourth between J-Lamb, Drummond, Kemba, and Ray thanks to the one week free trial NBA League Pass is offering. Here are some of my observations from toggling between games:

Kemba - He was the story of the night as far as UConn basketball is concerned. He went head to head with one of the best PG's in the NBA in Kyrie Irving and got the better of him, posting a line of 23 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 blocks. He also shot 8 of 14 from the field, 3 of 6 from three, and limited Irving to 16 points on 7 of 17 from the field. He's one of the most exciting players in the league to watch and one of the hardest to guard. If he can become a better three point shooter he's going to be a 20+ ppg scorer in the league for a long time.

BG - Second straight DNP. There was speculation of a knee injury in a separate thread, but unfortunately I think this is due to a coaches decision, or at least that's the way it was listed in the box score.

Jeff - I've been saying for a while now that Jeff has the ability to carve out a niche in the NBA. In 5-10 minute pinches, the energy and toughness he provides - often against second stringers - is usually enough to overcome his height dis-advantage.

Rudy - It was another ghastly shooting night for Rudy. He shot just 6 of 23 from the field. I really hope the negative momentum he generated last season doesn't continue to carry into this season. He's way too talented to not produce more than he has been.

Caron - 2 of 8 from the field for 8 points and 6 rebounds in a winning effort versus Boston. He hit a clutch three down the stretch and knocked down a couple fourth quarter free throws. The guy is what he is at this point - I don't think he'll be the upper-echelon NBA player he was before the ACL tear, but as a role player who can defend, space the floor, and provide veteran leadership, there aren't many better options. Hopefully Milwaukee deals him - he'd be a great fit in a place like OKC.

J-Lamb - Jeremy poured in 16 tonight on 7 of 15 from the field to go along with 4 rebounds. Granted, over half of those points came in garbage time against Minnesota's bench, but it still has to be considered a step in the right direction for somebody with very limited reps at the NBA level. He really impressed me tonight with his ability to read defenses in pick and roll situations. On multiple occasions, he hit an OKC big man in a scoring position after receiving a screen. I just hope he continues to get minutes because the potential is hard to miss.

AD - Andre was a mixed bag tonight. One thing I found interesting was that he led the Pistons in minutes with 47 (game went into OT). Detroit's management of Andre's minutes was one of the biggest story lines from Pistons camp heading into the season - last season his per minute numbers were off the charts, but he only played about 21 minutes a night. It seems like through two games, with Andre averaging nearly 40 minutes a night, those questions have been answered. He obviously won't sustain his pace from a year ago with such a drastic uptick in playing time, but if he's playing 32-36 minutes a night, he will be a double/double candidate. As for his performance tonight, he grabbed 16 rebounds, scored 12 points, and also recorded 3 steals and 2 blocks. Those numbers are impressive on the surface, but he was also a -16, air balled a free throw, and seemed to be the source of some major log jams offensively down the stretch. On the bright side, the fact that the kid can grab a double double at only 20-years-old just by walking out of bed is a testament to just how immensely gifted he is. At the very least, I expect he'll be one of the best defensive players in the game and a Tyson Chandler prodigy, and at best...who knows.

Ray - 12 points on 4 of 6 from the field. He's become exceptionally efficient in his old age and I see no reason he can't play into his 40's with his remarkable conditioning and work ethic.

Charlie and Hash - DNP. Looks like they're in the "just trying to cling onto a roster spot" phase of their careers. Charlie, especially, resembles somebody on his way out of the league. I hope I'm wrong.

Feel free to add any comments here - I'll be posting periodic updates on the status of our alums for people who may not follow the NBA. I still feel connected to these guys years after they played their final game in a Husky uniform, and that's really the best compliment you can pay them. Even in just one Friday night following the NBA, it's impossible not to notice the impact Jim Calhoun has made on the league. You look at a guy like Josh Smith - somebody who took 10 3's today, despite registering as a 29% three point shooter for his career - and wonder what JC could have done with him.

Reaction Score
that Minn/OKC game was pretty much garbage time frrom the 2nd quarter on, that being said I was very impressed with JLamb's floor game. like you said he was making great reads in the PnR and setting up the bigs in scoring position. OKC should honestly put the ball in his hands more and get it out of that nut DFish's hands, dude is out of his mind coming down the court and jacking heat check 3s without a single pass being made and >15 seconds still on the shot clock. I'm already envisioning Brooks playing Fisher more minutes than Lamb when Westbrook comes back. as for Hasheem, he's already fallen behind Adams in the rotation so with Perk, Ibaka, Collison, and Adams OKC won't be going any deeper than that.

Reaction Score
It amazes me that Derek Fisher is still in the NBA. The guy was washed up four years ago and somehow he's still playing meaningful minutes on a contender.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the write-up!

I know that Emeka is injured, but is AJ Price injured as well? I see that he was picked up by Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Everyone says OKC Is a contender but I hate to say it I just don't see it. They've missed their window, Spurs are still better then them and I think Houston and Golden State have passed them by. In the east I would also take Miami, Brooklyn and Chicago over them.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It amazes me that Derek Fisher is still in the NBA. The guy was washed up four years ago and somehow he's still playing meaningful minutes on a contender.

Any non-elite guard having NBA longevity is impressive. I think he is on teams for leadership/experience and not necessarily court value.

He is the new Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
Everyone says OKC Is a contender but I hate to say it I just don't see it. They've missed their window, Spurs are still better then them and I think Houston and Golden State have passed them by. In the east I would also take Miami, Brooklyn and Chicago over them.

They're without Westbrook. Let's not forget they were the #1 seed with him.

I don't really think their title window is closed, but that Harden trade looks worse by the minute.

Reaction Score

Durant and Westbrook are 25 and 24 years old, haven't reached their prime yet, and in the majority of the games OKC plays they're the 2 best players on the court, OKC's window is still wide open, they just need to develop/find a 3rd perimeter scorer to complement them. A healthy and 100% Westbrook changes everything for them because it moves Reggie Jackson back to the bench where he can be a likely dbl figure scorer or you can pair him and Westbrook together in the same backcourt together for long stretches. I wouldn't give them any chance to beat Miami but I would still favor them over every other team in the East if they were to reach the Finals(the West is wide open imo). OKC's best bet is to continue to develop Lamb so that he can hopefully be a dbl figure scorer in 14-15 and have Jackson continue to progress at the rate he's going and pay him when his contract is up, if Jackson and Lamb step up to be dependable sidekicks they will still be loaded going forward in the future.

Reaction Score
If Emeka is healthy he could be in heavy demand later this year.
That's Miami and OKC that could use him for the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Some lines from tonight:

Kemba: 14 points, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 7/19 from the field (his FG percentage was skewed by several desperation heaves at the end of the shot clock)

Jeff: 23 minutes, 8 points, 13 rebounds (love to see this)

BG: 9 minutes, 4 points, 1/3

Rudy: Big night w/ 18 points and 15 rebounds

Caron: 12 points, 6 rebounds

Reaction Score
Tonight's action:

AD - 15 points, 12 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 blocks in 40 minutes. He was 7 of 13 from the field and 1 of 4 from the line.

Ray - 4 points and 6 assists in 31 minutes

J-Lamb - 8 points on 3 of 5 from the floor in 16 minutes for OKC. I was really impressed with what I saw from him. He hit a couple floaters from the baseline to help the Thunder get back in it in the third quarter.

Reaction Score
Tonight's action:

AD - 15 points, 12 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 blocks in 40 minutes. He was 7 of 13 from the field and 1 of 4 from the line.

Ray - 4 points and 6 assists in 31 minutes

J-Lamb - 8 points on 3 of 5 from the floor in 16 minutes for OKC. I was really impressed with what I saw from him. He hit a couple floaters from the baseline to help the Thunder get back in it in the third quarter.

Love to see more points from Ray, but 6 assists is excellent.

Reaction Score
Love to see more points from Ray, but 6 assists is excellent.

He had 7 assists in the opener too. I watched some of yesterday's game and he seems to be playing really well for his age. Defenses still won't dare leave him, and when he gets overplayed and puts it on the floor, he's setting people up and isn't forcing anything. He also knocked down three three-pointers that were waved off by whistles, for what that's worth. But he seems to be adapting well to a lower-scoring role now, content to be a facilitator if that's what the defense is giving.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Emeka averages a career double-double and many consider him a bust :confused:

Not to mention his elite defense!

For an example of that, just look at how good his on court/off court numbers were for Washington last season, and how they've fallen apart without his rim protection this year.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Emeka averages a career double-double and many consider him a bust :confused:

The reason he's considered a bust is because he's constantly compared to Dwight Howard and the injury bug hasn't helped him at all either. Offensively he's never been quite what everyone thought he should be... but he's no bust.

Reaction Score
Rudy , Drummond , and Walker all in action tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom