Report: SEC Would Consider 2 ACC Schools, But Not Miami | The Boneyard

Report: SEC Would Consider 2 ACC Schools, But Not Miami

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My apologies if this has already been posted.

The SEC is currently the dominant conference in college football. That dominance comes with its privileges, as the league can take its pick on adding new members. Texas and Oklahoma are set to join the conference next year in a move that will fundamentally alter the sport. Despite adding two of the most prestigious programs in college football history, the SEC may not be done. According to a report, the SEC would consider adding two schools from the ACC if they were interested in leaving. That would be FSU, Clemson and maybe UNC.

Reaction Score
My apologies if this has already been posted.

The SEC is currently the dominant conference in college football. That dominance comes with its privileges, as the league can take its pick on adding new members. Texas and Oklahoma are set to join the conference next year in a move that will fundamentally alter the sport. Despite adding two of the most prestigious programs in college football history, the SEC may not be done. According to a report, the SEC would consider adding two schools from the ACC if they were interested in leaving. That would be FSU, Clemson and maybe UNC.

Miami is weird. They have a huge mythology, cultural relevance, a great school, but they don’t actually have a fanbase.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Miami is weird. They have a huge mythology, cultural relevance, a great school, but they don’t actually have a fanbase.
Miami's fan base isn't a real fan base. When they were at their best there were quite a few locals who followed the fad of a team that year-in, year-out was a threat to win it all (and for about ten years from the mid 1980's to the mid 1990's and again for the first few years of the current century they were) but when they were just another team nobody cared.

Add to this the allure for most of their recruits was their bad boy image, once Shalala cleaned that up they were never able to bring in the talent they once did.

Reaction Score
Miami will be in the B1G. The B1G needs representation in Florida for recruiting purposes and now that Miami is AAU, it just makes too much sense to not be wanted by the B1G.

Reaction Score
Miami will be in the B1G. The B1G needs representation in Florida for recruiting purposes and now that Miami is AAU, it just makes too much sense to not be wanted by the B1G.
It depends how many teams the big 10 wants to add. I think Notre Dame, UNC and Virginia make the most sense for the big 10. Oregon and Washington are desirable as well. Obviously the big 12 would take Miami, so they won't be completely left out.

Reaction Score
That article is trash. We get better midweek posts on this board.

UVA to the B1G is reasonable. VT? Laughably no.
VT will end up in the Big XII but the question starts to become how big are these conferences going to get?

Either the conferences are going to be 20+ teams each or there are going to be additional "deserving" teams that lose at musical chairs. I think either works for us. Someone's going to need another east coast school or there are going to be plenty of east coast schools leftover to group up with. I'm guessing the latter and it'll be AAC 2.0 but with better brands, better basketball and worse football.

Reaction Score
Even the biggest and best conference is starting to see the downside of expansion. We all saw the SEC coaches twist and turn over scheduling. They see their rivalries being taken away. It sounds cool to think of bama-Oklahoma playing a conf game, but at what cost to fan base? No game vs auburn? Tennessee? There are rivalries that go back a century that are starting to fade. It’ll be cool to see boomer sooner, but the novelty wears off and soon you realize you haven’t played a conf rival in years.

Reaction Score
VT will end up in the Big XII but the question starts to become how big are these conferences going to get?

conferences will continue to grow until media partner payments and/or other revenue streams no longer increase. in some way’s brilliant, yet also crazy.

Reaction Score
conferences will continue to grow until media partner payments and/or other revenue streams no longer increase. in some way’s brilliant, yet also crazy.
That's when the breakaway happens, and there are gonna be a lot of left-behinds who have been riding coattails and grandfathered-in clauses for half a century while looking down their noses at us that will have to face a new very harsh reality.

Reaction Score
The whole key to generating more revenue is time zone expansion. If you get coast to coast you have content from 12PM to 1AM EST. Media will pay for fresh content.
Exactly. This is the key. It is about content across all time zones during key watching hours in those timezones. The more interesting inventory you can provide for a media partner, the more you are worth and will be paid accordingly.

Reaction Score
I look forward to the insanity of a day when Miami and USC is a conference game. I believe we will see this in our lifetime.

Reaction Score
I look forward to the insanity of a day when Miami and USC is a conference game. I believe we will see this in our lifetime.

And maybe the winner of that game can play another future B10 team: UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom