Report Card vs Xavier | The Boneyard

Report Card vs Xavier

Reaction Score
D. Clingan- 8.0: Coach absolutely needs a way to find him more minutes. Even when Sanogo is playing well out there. Clingan has too much of an impact on the game to be playing that little amount of time. It's criminal. Give Sanogo more breaks. Play them both at the same time. Play 6 players, idfk.
A. Jackson- 7.5: Overdid the 3 ball towards the end. I still believe this game will make the rest of the Big East respect him on the 3pt line. 14 pts, 10 Rbs, 8 assists. Jackson showed up today in every aspect of the game.
A. Sanogo- 7.0: Showed some great offensive footwork against some high quality defense. Defensively, a poor showing. Played his worst pick n roll defense this season.
J. Hawkins- 6.5: Couldn't get his 3 ball going, a piece of the puzzle we've gotten used to. Got burnt on a defensive play by Kunkel, should never happen. Showed up on the boards.
N. Alleyne- 6.5: What a clutch shot to close out the half. I thought he could have grabbed some minutes from Newton, particularly in the 2nd half.
T. Newton- 5.5: Flat out let us down in the 2nd half. We lacked stability at the point. The refs were awful yes, but part of that lies on Newton for not putting more pressure on the zebras by driving hard to the rim. Newton's our best weapon at drawing fouls, but had nothing to show for it today.
J. Calcaterra- 5.5: Could have used that spark today. No tinder.
H. Diarra- 5.5: Had one of the worst turnovers I've seen all season in a pivotal moment. Followed by one of the laziest "blown by on defense" plays we've seen all year. Especially after we all watched on "Mic'd up in the huddle", coach screaming about not letting your player blow by you off the dribble. Infuriating.
A. Karaban- 5.0: His defense has always been his crutch, but today, it was something else. Completely exposed as the freshman he is. Hard to believe this issue will be fixed by the end of the season. Needs to shoot better than 2-8 from the 3pt line if we're going to roll with his defensive woes.

Coaching notes: Two notes. The first obvious one, that technical was something. Yes, the refs are making garbage calls all game. But there's 2 minutes left, it's not changing now. I think it's fair to blame that loss on our Lord and Savior Dan Hurley. We give him plenty of deserved credit for our wins, this loss falls on his shoulders.
2nd note; It's my belief we take to long to sub in our role plays off the tip off and start of the 2nd half. We look gas'ed around the 14 minute, and rightfully so for how hard we play. I wish we were subbing closer to the 16:00 minute mark. But I'm just a keyboard smasher with a dog who likes to roll around in his feces to mask his smell when chasing squirrels, so what do I know.
Match notes:
-Yes, the refs were terrible. But a strong away crowd will typically do that.
-We had a lot of rim out 3's.
- I've never looked more forward to a game then the return game when Xavier comes to Connecticut on the 25th.

Over and depressed- RC

Reaction Score
Newton deserves the lowest grade. He was unplayable today yet Hurley didn’t pull him for Diarra. Not all of Alex’s fouls we solely on him. Xavier’s players drove by our guys like they they were in holding a red cape

Reaction Score
D. Clingan- 8.0: Coach absolutely needs a way to find him more minutes. Even when Sanogo is playing well out there. Clingan has too much of an impact on the game to be playing that little amount of time. It's criminal. Give Sanogo more breaks. Play them both at the same time. Play 6 players, idfk.
A. Jackson- 7.5: Overdid the 3 ball towards the end. I still believe this game will make the rest of the Big East respect him on the 3pt line. 14 pts, 10 Rbs, 8 assists. Jackson showed up today in every aspect of the game.
A. Sanogo- 7.0: Showed some great offensive footwork against some high quality defense. Defensively, a poor showing. Played his worst pick n roll defense this season.
J. Hawkins- 6.5: Couldn't get his 3 ball going, a piece of the puzzle we've gotten used to. Got burnt on a defensive play by Kunkel, should never happen. Showed up on the boards.
N. Alleyne- 6.5: What a clutch shot to close out the half. I thought he could have grabbed some minutes from Newton, particularly in the 2nd half.
T. Newton- 5.5: Flat out let us down in the 2nd half. We lacked stability at the point. The refs were awful yes, but part of that lies on Newton for not putting more pressure on the zebras by driving hard to the rim. Newton's our best weapon at drawing fouls, but had nothing to show for it today.
H. Diarra- 5.5: Had one of the worst turnovers I've seen all season in a pivotal moment. Followed by one of the laziest "blown by on defense" plays we've seen all year. Especially after we all watched on "Mic'd up in the huddle", coach screaming about not letting your player blow by you off the dribble. Infuriating.
A. Karaban- 5.0: His defense has always been his crutch, but today, it was something else. Completely exposed as the freshman he is. Hard to believe this issue will be fixed by the end of the season. Needs to shoot better than 2-8 from the 3pt line if we're going to roll with his defensive woes.

Coaching notes: Two notes. The first obvious one, that technical was something. Yes, the refs are making garbage calls all game. But there's 2 minutes left, it's not changing now. I think it's fair to blame that loss on our Lord and Savior Dan Hurley. We give him plenty of deserved credit for our wins, this loss falls on his shoulders.
2nd note; It's my belief we take to long to sub in our role plays off the tip off and start of the 2nd half. We look gas'ed around the 14 minute, and rightfully so for how hard we play. I wish we were subbing closer to the 16:00 minute mark. But I'm just a keyboard smasher with a dog who likes to roll around in his feces to mask his smell when chasing squirrels, so what do I know.
Match notes:
- I've never looked more forward to a game then the return game when Xavier comes to Connecticut on the 25th.

Over and depressed- RC
No way Diarra was a 5.5 He and Alleyne were keeping us in the game in the first half with their Defense and clutch shots. I guess we watched a different game. LOL! Diarra should of been in the game during crunch time and needed a facilitator and someone who could press the Xavier ball handlers.

Reaction Score
No way Diarra was a 5.5 He and Alleyne were keeping us in the game in the first half with their Defense and clutch shots. I guess we watched a different game. LOL! Diarra should of been in the game during crunch time and needed a facilitator and someone who could press the Xavier ball handlers.
I strongly agree with this post.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
We need a point guard. I would be fine with just giving the job to Diara because Newton was not a point guard before coming to UConn. We found out what we are missing today. A breakdown get to the basket ball handler who can finish well.

Reaction Score
Newton deserves the lowest grade. He was unplayable today yet Hurley didn’t pull him for Diarra. Not all of Alex’s fouls we solely on him. Xavier’s players drove by our guys like they they were in holding a red cape
You would think when your brother is an assistant he could get in coaches ear. Lolz

Man. They needed diarra’s ball
Handling and D.

Reaction Score
wait. Are people upset at Jackson’s 3s?

He took 3 late with game needing a miracle. Was outstanding.

He does all the hard things you can’t teach well. He is below average on the easy things such as making a layup and attacking The basket.

Reaction Score
Yea unfortunately Newton does not have the quickness/athleticism to consistently get by guys at this level.

Which reduces him to either having to try to go thru people and hope to get bailed out with a foul call, or be a spot up shooter and let someone else (jackson) run the offense.

This team would be lethal with a pg that could break guys down and get to the rim.

Unfortunately none of our guards has that full package (Newton can’t get by anyone, Jackson can’t finish, Alleyne has been too chaotic off the dribble, and not sure if Diarra can finish at the rim reliably or make plays for others once he beats his guy).
This is the one weakness. But let’s understand one thing. They got everything else. They are by far the most complete team in the company.

Reaction Score

He does all the hard things you can’t teach well. He is below average on the easy things such as making a layup and attacking The basket.
You get the ball into 3 shooter hands (Joey C, Hawk, karaban(but legs were gone)). . End of story. Lack of discipline and symptomatic of a coach who lost composure and couldn’t get his guys settled and focused. I don’t blame AJ. I blame a coach who lost his mind and took his team down a rabbit hole.

Reaction Score
I strongly agree with this post.
Listen here you jesters, Diarra's strongest part of his game is his defense. And today, not only did he not bring his heat, he was a liability.
It's a good thing I'm never ever ever wrong, so you should retreat in this quarrel. I'm also not mad at all from that loss.

Reaction Score

Ajax is awesome but he should never be taking 12x 3's in a game, it's not a strength...sure he made 4 but that's 8 offensive possessions he missed.

Can live with Ajax taking maybe 5x 3's a game, but 12 attempts is just too many offensive possessions for Jax to be taking a 3.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You get the ball into 3 shooter hands (Joey C, Hawk, karaban(but legs were gone)). . End of story. Lack of discipline and symptomatic of a coach who lost composure and couldn’t get his guys settled and focused. I don’t blame AJ. I blame a coach who lost his mind and took his team down a rabbit hole.
Xavier knows this. Joey C was blanketed. Hawkins had two sent at him off the dribble.

It was jax or karaban shooting .

The only way to open game up is to make shots. UConn scored 70 plus with almost zero FT.

Issue today was defense.

Reaction Score

Match notes:

Over and depressed- RC
I just don’t place the loss entirely on Hurley. Was it bad? Yup. But we had the ammunition but he didn’t use it.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Yea unfortunately Newton does not have the quickness/athleticism to consistently get by guys at this level.

Which reduces him to either having to try to go thru people and hope to get bailed out with a foul call, or be a spot up shooter and let someone else (jackson) run the offense.

This team would be lethal with a pg that could break guys down and get to the rim.

Unfortunately none of our guards has that full package (Newton can’t get by anyone, Jackson can’t finish, Alleyne has been too chaotic off the dribble, and not sure if Diarra can finish at the rim reliably or make plays for others once he beats his guy).
I wish AJ could finish better. I think he leaves his feet to early just thinking he will float around defenders but that does not work at this level. He has the handle and gets by the defender but then the trouble starts. I am not knocking him but more hoping he develops some ability to finish in traffic. It will make him a lot more money at the next level. He will shoot well enough at the next level but with his hops he has to work on finishing at the rim.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Xavier averages 83ppg. We are rated on Kenpom as the 4th best defensive team in the country, efficiency wise. We didn’t make it hard enough for them, they got what they wanted. That is the most disappointing.
Take away the tech two points and the ten point implosion at the end and I felt we made some really good defensive adjustments on d the second half.

Reaction Score

Don't forget Hawkins and his inability to finish at times and force things not there. It seemed late in the game we were trying to run things through Hawkins on one play and he just ended up dribbling down the right baseline and then giving the ball up. He has to become more decisive and also use his mid-range game when he does get past his man.

Reaction Score
I wish more guys would practice using, and reasonably applying, the little square box on the backboard, when taking close shot attempts. It's there for a reason.

Alas, the modern game has rendered it as handy as a $10 bill in the beer line.

But I guess when the offense is predicated on heaving up three pointers more than those dreaded two point attempts, I am just wasting wishes!

Reaction Score
Dre was not in the game planning(by DH) to take 10+ threes.. None of our shooters could shake their defenders to get open. I am sure part of Sean's game planning was... Let him shoot.. He was one of the reasons we were in the game close until late..

Gotta scheme better/or the shooters have to find a way.. To get open and take good threes..

Xavier is a tough team and Miller is probably the BE's best coach.. Hope DH is taking notes.

Reaction Score
WRT the return match:

I want our bigs to hit Nunge and Freemantle so hard their kids will feel it.

Nothing less than blood, a 30 point victory and playing with visceral rage will suffice.

Reaction Score

Match notes:

Over and depressed- RC
I’ll say something on coaching notes. If Calhoun had been coaching this team, he would have gotten his 2nd technical in the early 2nd half. One thing that sets Calhoun apart from Hurley is if he knew his team was getting screwed, he would not back down from a bad ref.

Reaction Score

I'm the hardest critic of Jackson and i thought he had one of his best games of the year. He wasn't the issue. I was more disappointed in Hawkins with lazy d and not using his midrange game more to score.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

He took 4 threes in final 2:32. Joey C was on the floor for the final two of those. In all, our guys hoisted and missed 8 threes in final 3:30, only going inside twice (one layup, one missed tip in). Joey took none of those.

Andre does so much so well, I want him on the floor in crunch time. But not doing what he did during those last minutes.

Here's a thought: with his vision and agility, drive to hoop. If nothing else someone will collapse on him leaving a teammate open for a pass. Or put it up and draw a foul. Given the way defenses play him, he'll get a blocking call and not a charge 99x of 100.

Reaction Score

Match notes:

Over and depressed- RC
great n entertaining report. but, should have been all about coach hurley.
his antics cost us the game. he thinks yelling at refs makes it a greater person. just the opposite: shows weakness. and what an awful example to the kids he’s helping grow.
refs don’t respect u, coach, because u don’t deserve respect.
we are at 4 technicals in last 3 games. way to go!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom