Report Card vs UCF | The Boneyard

Report Card vs UCF

Reaction Score
J. Carlton- 6.5 I thought he played another solid game overall. Continues to trend upwards. Tough matchup with Taco no doubt.
T. Smith- 6.5 One of his more sound games as well. Though at times he definitely made you miss A. Gilbert: 2v1 breakaway play vs Taco Fall and he decides to pull up? I lost 4 years of life on that sequence. But credit where credit is due, he made his free throws like we asked him to.
C. Vital- 6.0 Made a couple pump-fake/dribble/shots that showed his offensive game is developing past the 3pt'er. But his handles are still 50/50 prayers at best. The technical he earned is inexcusable, but I bet it's hard for Hurley to come down on him for it. I believe the saying goes: don't throw stones from glass houses.
J. Adams- 6.0 Yes, he came on strong the 2nd half, and probably even opened some NBA scouts' eyes with that run (genuinely happy for him on that account), but us UConn fans have seen this spectacle one too many times before. His slow starts have become almost expected now. It's like everyone starts the game driving a Ferrari meanwhile he's riding a scooter. What is going on during his warm ups? Nice to see his 3pt range has become lethal now though.
S. Wilson- 5.5 His first good take to the basket happened during this game. But other than that, the boy has a lot more work to do during practices. Personally, I'd like to see him develop a post game, with his back turned to the basket down low. Not quite ready.
B. Adams- 5.0 Not ready.
T. Polley- 3.0 I wide-opened-mouthed gasped on several Polley defensive possessions this game. How one comes off such a strong defensive performance vs Wichita State only to produce this kind of garbage the very next game is Vegas worthy magic. Also, I hope getting that offensive rebound ripped out of his hands doesn't sit well with Coach Sal.
E. Cobb- 0.5 huh???
I. Whaley- It's pretty clear what Coach Hurley is doing with the kid. Something about tea leaves, idk. But one thing I do know, he's a better player than Cobb. I'll repeat myself, he's a better player than Eric Cobb.
M. Diarra- Hey what's up? Could have used him here, what's going on?

-I thought the announcers were pleasant.
-Gilbert's shoulder looked good during his applauses, right? Seriously speaking, his positivity and charisma during all of this is eye opening. That's our leader!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
J. Carlton- 6.5 I thought he played another solid game overall. Continues to trend upwards. Tough matchup with Taco no doubt.
T. Smith- 6.5 One of his more sound games as well. Though at times he definitely made you miss A. Gilbert: 2v1 breakaway play vs Taco Fall and he decides to pull up? I lost 4 years of life on that sequence.
C. Vital- 6.0 Made a couple pump-fake/dribble/shots that showed his offensive game is developing past the 3pt'er. But his handles are still 50/50 prayers at best. The technical he earned is inexcusable, but I bet it's hard for Hurley to come down on him for it. I believe the saying goes: don't throw stones from glass houses.
J. Adams- 6.0 Yes, he came on strong the 2nd half, and probably even opened some NBA scouts' eyes with that run (genuinely happy for him on that account), but us UConn fans have seen this spectacle one too many times before. His slow starts have become almost expected now. It's like everyone starts the game driving a Ferrari meanwhile he's riding a scooter. What is going on during his warm ups? Nice to see his 3pt range has become lethal now though.
S. Wilson- 5.5 His first good take to the basket happened during this game. But other than that, the boy has a lot more work to do during practices. Personally, I'd like to see him develop a post game, with his back turned to the basket down low. Not quite ready. B. Adams- 5.0 Not ready.
T. Polley- 3.0 I wide-opened-mouthed gasped on several Polley defensive possessions this game. How one comes off such a strong defensive performance vs Wichita State only to produce this kind of garbage the very next game is Vegas worthy magic. Also, I hope getting that offensive rebound ripped out of his hands doesn't sit well with Coach Sal.
E. Cobb- 0.5 huh???
I. Whaley- It's pretty clear what Coach Hurley is doing with the kid. Something about tea leaves, idk. But one thing I do know, he's a better player than Cobb. I'll repeat myself, he's a better player than Eric Cobb.
M. Diarra- Hey what's up? Could have used him here, what's going on?

-I thought the announcers were pleasant.
-Gilbert's shoulder looked good during his applauses, right? Seriously speaking, his positivity and charisma during all of this is eye opening. That's our leader!
I would put Tarin smith at a 4. Just lost trying to run the offense and pulled up two times on the break for shots when he can’t shoot and had a man with him. Just not smart ball. His defense wasn’t that good. Jalen was good as he was a one man show on offense tonight. We aren’t even in the game without him. I would put him at 8.0. Glad to see Jalen step up when we needed his scoring. Sid was awful besides the block and layup. I have him as a 2.0. He was not blocking out well, getting beat by his man and not in the flow of the offense. Otherwise the scores are fair. I might knock vital to a 5 for a stupid technical and not stepping up to help Jalen tonight enough.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I would put Tarin smith at a 4. Just lost trying to run the offense and pulled up two times on the break for shots when he can’t shoot and had a man with him. Just not smart ball. His defense wasn’t that good. Jalen was good as he was a one man show on offense tonight. We aren’t even in the game without him. I would put him at 7.5. Sid was awful besides the block and layup. I have him as a 2.0. He was not blocking out well, getting beat by his man and not in the flow of the offense. Otherwise the scores are fair. I might knock vital to a 5 for a stupid technical and not stepping up to help Jalen tonight enough.
In fairness to CV that was a very short fuse tech by TV Teddy Valentine. Unfortunate because CV got off to a great start and that completely got him out of rhythm.

Reaction Score
In fairness to CV that was a very short fuse tech by TV Teddy Valentine. Unfortunate because CV got off to a great start and that completely got him out of rhythm.
I agree but he has to try to control his emotions.

Reaction Score
Vital picking up two quick fouls and Jalen no showing in the first half plus not having Gilbert sealed our fate. Trying to fight back from double digits halftime deficit on the road was never going to happen.

I seriously never believed that we would win that game. Just seen this so many times before we go down double digits and then Jalen starts pouring it on gets us close only to lose.

Reaction Score
Carlton continues to improve. Yes he needs to make those bunnies but he outrebounded Fall and Smith collectively and even had a couple of assists to go with 2 blocks and a steal.
Adams scored at a high rate after a real sluggish start but he took over 40% of the teams shots. 7 turnovers is way too many no matter how much the ball is in your hands. Also only one assist.
Polley playing 27 minutes just shows weak our front court is. The fact that Wilson can’t outplay him is disappointing.
4 points from our bench. 4 points. UCF bench 23 pts

Reaction Score
I thought Carlton played decently. I like what I have seen past 5 games(Besides missing that one bunny). Jalen did his usual- slow start then a mad scramble in second half when Game was already a 13 point deficit. Vital was decent. That tech was kinda weak. He basically said “that’s bs” about the foul call as he walked away from valentine. Tarin smith pulling up 3 times in fast breaks was comical. Polley shud only be used as our 7-8th man off bench to bang a couple threes when needed but we have no one else- he brings nothing if he’s not shooting his threes. Wilson had a quick flash of what’s to come next year on that great drive and a nice block on baseline but he’s clearly not ready. Cobb has an awful sequence where he hedged out and fouled then gave up an and1. Another winnable game.

Reaction Score
Carlton reminds me a lot of Hilton Armstrong who continued to improve and was a monster his senior year

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Carlton reminds me a lot of Hilton Armstrong who continued to improve and was a monster his senior year

He shows flashes and with continued improvement who knows.... I like him, he will need to be the BIG next season. But hard to envision him as the 12th pick in the NBA draft like Hilton was.

Reaction Score
The fact that Wilson can’t outplay him is disappointing.
Very disappointing. He gets easily lost on defense/switches. And please make your wide open 3s son.

Reaction Score
Carlton scores higher than Jalen Adams? Your reasoning is because he got off to a slow start. It's not like his 22 2nd half points came the last 5 minutes during garbage time. He scored them throughout the 2nd half and single handily got them in the game despite UCF's D suffocating him. However, if your reasoning was because he had 7 turnovers, then you have a talking point. Carlton is still soft but has it seems like someone lit a fire under his butt and he's showing more aggression. Hopefully, that will continue.

Reaction Score
I would like to see more Whaley.

I would like to see a lot less Polley. He has no instinct or feel for the game. None.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So far off on JA
Their defensive strategy on JA in the 1st half was stifling - its DH and staff who was driving the scooters to make no adjustments until the half
Nobody else did anything in the 1st half to warrant UCF to stop what they were doing in the 1st half and take the attention off JA
You don't need to be a basketball guru to see that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom