Report Card vs SJU | The Boneyard

Report Card vs SJU

Reaction Score
A. Akok: 6.5- Only player who played his role last night. 2/2 from the 3 pt line makes me want to smooch him on the lips. He's already a great talent who's only getting better with each game. 0 assists.
T. Polley: 5.5- 4/4 from the 3 pt line is another great takeaway from the game and a confidence builder for the kid. 2 rebounds: not so much. 0 assists.
J. Carlton: 3.5- Doesn't fare well against smaller/quicker competition i.e Saint Michael's. Nonetheless, he seemed asleep most of the time. Needed to get more involved the 2nd half. A simple: "Hey AG, CV, give me *%&!*% ball" would have been inspiring. 0 assists.
S. Wilson: 2.0- No defense. None. Complete lack of urgency. Had his hands down guarding the 3 ball all night long. On offense, why drive left if said left hand is more crippled than Johnny Tremain's? 1 assist.
C. Vital: 2.0- Completely strayed away from his role offensively. Took selfish/contested shots all night. The 3s he made had no business going in. 2 assists.
B. Adams: 1.0- Forced it. Needs to let the game come to him (granted, hard to do when CV and AG played the way they did). 1 assist.
J. Gaffney: 1.0- Time to put his big boy shoes on and step up. We need him now. Not next year. Now. 0 assists.
I. Whaley: 0.5- 0 rebounds. 0 assists.
A. Gilbert: 0.5- You get a minimum amount of points for signing your name on the ACT exam, likewise, you get 0.5 points on the RC scale for showing up. It's enough, he needs to change his game completely. He needs to become an assist driven point guard. He has the ability, just not the mindset. As of now, he's the only one on the team who can handle the ball. He's also absolutely killing us on defense. His help defense is leaving his man wide open. This was a problem with him all of last year. The coaches need to have a serious sit down talk with him. AG cost us this game. AG cost us this game. AG cost us this game. 2 assists.

Player of the Match: AKOK AKOK. Love everything about this freshman.
Game Notes:
- This was indeed, a "matchup nightmare". We were forced to play a type of defense foreign to anything we're used to. But Hurley had to better prepare the team with a simple HAND DOWN MAN DOWN attitude.
- I want to believe the coaches worked out these kids hard on Tuesday and into Wednesday morning. This is typical in the early parts of the season against buy teams. Perhaps it was too hard and explains the lack of legs. Yes, I'm a glass half full type of guy.
- Hurley gave AG and CV too much offensive freedom.
- We need to draw up better plays before halftime. Giving AG the ball in isolation 2 games in a row now is highly questionable.
- 7 assists as a team against SJU is underline-worthy-alarming.
- James Bouknight has handles and created plenty for his teammates in high school. It's clear we desperately need him.
- Having said all that, we're beating FL on Sunday; I can feel it in my plums.
- Javonte Brown Ferguson

Curiouser
Reaction Score
tenor.gif

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This report card (2.5 avg) has got to be the lowest we have seen to date, and deservedly so.

Need to regroup for Sunday .

Reaction Score
For Polley, shooting 4 for 4 from 3 is great, but when u arent demanding the ball or getting it to take more shots, that's a problem. Hurley needs to run more plays through him and Akok especially if they are on.

Reaction Score
A. Akok: 6.5- Only player who played his role last night. 2/2 from the 3 pt line makes me want to smooch him on the lips. He's already a great talent who's only getting better with each game. 0 assists.
T. Polley: 5.5- 4/4 from the 3 pt line is another great takeaway from the game and a confidence builder for the kid. 2 rebounds: not so much. 0 assists.
J. Carlton: 3.5- Doesn't fare well against smaller/quicker competition i.e Saint Michael's. Nonetheless, he seemed asleep most of the time. Needed to get more involved the 2nd half. A simple: "Hey AG, CV, give me *%&!*% ball" would have been inspiring. 0 assists.
S. Wilson: 2.0- No defense. None. Complete lack of urgency. Had his hands down guarding the 3 ball all night long. On offense, why drive left if said left hand is more crippled than Johnny Tremain's? 1 assist.
C. Vital: 2.0- Completely strayed away from his role offensively. Took selfish/contested shots all night. The 3s he made had no business going in. 2 assists.
B. Adams: 1.0- Forced it. Needs to let the game come to him (granted, hard to do when CV and AG played the way they did). 1 assist.
J. Gaffney: 1.0- Time to put his big boy shoes on and step up. We need him now. Not next year. Now. 0 assists.
I. Whaley: 0.5- 0 rebounds. 0 assists.
A. Gilbert: 0.5- You get a minimum amount of points for signing your name on the ACT exam, likewise, you get 0.5 points on the RC scale for showing up. It's enough, he needs to change his game completely. He needs to become an assist driven point guard. He has the ability, just not the mindset. As of now, he's the only one on the team who can handle the ball. He's also absolutely killing us on defense. His help defense is leaving his man wide open. This was a problem with him all of last year. The coaches need to have a serious sit down talk with him. AG cost us this game. AG cost us this game. AG cost us this game. 2 assists.

Player of the Match: AKOK AKOK. Love everything about this freshman.
Game Notes:
- This was indeed, a "matchup nightmare". We were forced to play a type of defense foreign to anything we're used to. But Hurley had to better prepare the team with a simple HAND DOWN MAN DOWN attitude.
- I want to believe the coaches worked out these kids hard on Tuesday and into Wednesday morning. This is typical in the early parts of the season against buy teams. Perhaps it was too hard and explains the lack of legs. Yes, I'm a glass half full type of guy.
- Hurley gave AG and CV too much offensive freedom.
- We need to draw up better plays before halftime. Giving AG the ball in isolation 2 games in a row now is highly questionable.
- 7 assists as a team against SJU is underline-worthy-alarming.
- James Bouknight has handles and created plenty for his teammates in high school. It's clear we desperately need him.
- Having said all that, we're beating FL on Sunday; I can feel it in my plums.
- Javonte Brown Ferguson

I gave you a like. That is both surprising and encouraging. I agree with much of what you wrote. Bouknight is a stud. With him and a healthy Gaffney, we win this game going away as the initial big hole never would have happened.

Gotta give Akok a little more love though. 12 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks is worthy of more than a 6.5, especially in his second college game.

pj

Reaction Score
For Polley, shooting 4 for 4 from 3 is great, but when u arent demanding the ball or getting it to take more shots, that's a problem. Hurley needs to run more plays through him and Akok especially if they are on.

Polley needs to tackle CV or AG and wrestle the ball away from them. If he's not getting called for 3 flagrant fouls per game committed against his own guards, he's not working hard enough for the ball.

Reaction Score
Another take is Hurley’s face when AG didn’t get a shot off before halftime when we had a good 20 seconds ....

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Let’s start rating the coaching with grades. I rate the staff at the below AG level for the SJU game. I think it will be different vs Fla. DH acted as if he saw a ghost the whole game and he cannot do that again. Not at his salary and “rep”.

Reaction Score
I don't have an issue with Akok having been our best player last night, but he's got a long way to go before he's truly a good player. He needs to start with hand strength. When he gets his hands on the ball, he needs to be able to maintain possession of it. I always thought climbing ropes was the best way but I don't care if he's walking around with a squish ball in his hands all day -- he's too tall and athletic for the ball to come out of his hands that easily.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don't have an issue with Akok having been our best player last night, but he's got a long way to go before he's truly a good player. He needs to start with hand strength. When he gets his hands on the ball, he needs to be able to maintain possession of it. I always thought climbing ropes was the best way but I don't care if he's walking around with a squish ball in his hands all day -- he's too tall and athletic for the ball to come out of his hands that easily.
He has really impressed me. I was skeptical of his ability to perform at this level but he has lived up to his hype. I could barely watch his full length drive waiting for him to dribble of his foot but his handle and explosiveness were on point.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Polley can demand it all he wants, and he should. But the two lead guards with the ball in their hands either seldom look for him, or miss him completely when he's open, or fail to recognize that he's the best 3 threat on the team and work to set him up. I'd like him to grab more rebounds, but given the rest of the shooters on the team (Vital 3 for 12? Twelve 3's?) they need shooting from him more than rebounds.

Hurley does need to run more plays through him and Akok. The question is, can Vital and Gilbert do that?

Reaction Score
Polley can demand it all he wants, and he should. But the two lead guards with the ball in their hands either seldom look for him, or miss him completely when he's open, or fail to recognize that he's the best 3 threat on the team and work to set him up. I'd like him to grab more rebounds, but given the rest of the shooters on the team (Vital 3 for 12? Twelve 3's?) they need shooting from him more than rebounds.

Hurley does need to run more plays through him and Akok. The question is, can Vital and Gilbert do that?

If they cant, give it to someone who can. Cant Brendan Adams come in and play guard?

Reaction Score
You think the guy who was 3-12 from 3 that flexes his muscles after a layup down 20 would actually pass to a legit shooter who was 4-4 from 3.

You can’t change the spots on a Leopard. CV is who he is I believe it’s called a “ gunner” god forbid someone else nails a few 3’s and gets on the highlight clip and not him....

Reaction Score
It seems like the last few years, regardless of who the coach is, that the team has a problem getting the ball in to the large humans in the paint.
They are the large humans.
They are in the paint.
Get dem da ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro