Report Card vs Houston (Courtside Notes Edition) | The Boneyard

Report Card vs Houston (Courtside Notes Edition)

Reaction Score
I made the drive over from Nashville, and ended up sitting 1 row behind the UConn bench. Let me tell you, even in a 40pt blowout loss, I enjoyed every minute of watching how Coach Hurley operates. Some of these notes may be old news for the people who frequent the games, but for the fans who don't, I think you may find some of these observations interesting.

-Akok Akok is the tallest player on the team.
-EVERY SINGLE offensive play is orchestrated by Coach Hurley. Furthermore, he's hyper aware of each player's responsibilities during each one of his offensive outings. And If a player was just a little bit off their mark on the court, they'd hear it from him. (I will also note, that at least in the first half, just about all of his X's and O's were generating great shots. The ball just wasn't falling in)
-A little bit into Whaley's first rotation, Coach Hurley calmly speaking towards his assistants: "He forgot the ****ing play. Sid, take him out".
-Whaley's next rotation out, he found himself out of position again on offense. Coach Hurley yelling this time: "Whaley doesn't know the duck**ing plays!". Subbed him out again. Maybe this is the reason for his lack of minutes this season. Maybe not. Sid Wilson was another culprit of not being in the right spots on a couple offensive plays.
-Kimani Young was brilliant. He seemed to be one step ahead of the game at all times. "Sid, put your hand up." Sid doesn't hear him as he's guarding a Houston player on the 3pt line. "SID, PUT YOUR duck****ING HAND UP!". Sid still has his hands down. The Houston player pops the long 3 and makes it. Kimani proceeds to lose a coronary artery. Kimani could also tell which plays Houston was gonna draw up on in-bound plays. And lastly, he was constantly prepping Carlton on defense to anticipate certain actions.
-I've always thought that Jalen Adams had conditioning troubles. Today, in person, it was more apparent than ever. He's literally sucking wind, his lips turning a blue'ish hue, after just a few up and downs. Hurts him and our team on defense more than anything.
-Coach Hurley directly after a timeout as the bench sits back down: "HEY BENCH, IF I SEE YOU DEAD I'M SENDING YOU %$@!# HOME!". We were down 30pts in this moment.
-Having said that, Coach Hurley's exchanges with ALL of his players in person are positive. Constantly high-fiving them, giving them words of encouragement, and building them up. You can tell they genuinely love the guy.
-T. Smith is bad and Coach Hurley knows it.
-During the technical foul review sequence, down 30 pts, J. Adams stood quiet in the back of the huddle and got very emotional. Had tears running down his face. This is the moment he realized it was all ending (I believe there was still 6-8 minutes left). I felt for the kid, he loves UConn more than we can all imagine.
-Coach Hurley wanted to take out J. Adams with 4 minutes left. Jalen politely asked him to stay in as long as possible. From there on, Coach Hurley was fixed on getting Jalen a shot up every possession. Hurley lost his marbles when T. Smith drove hard towards the basket instead of kicking it to him.
-The staff is very careful with B. Adams. They treat him softer than everyone else on the team.
-The Culture change that people talk about is abundantly clear. Coach Hurley has his hands on every little minor detail. An example is his obsessiveness with the 5 players on the court huddling after every foul or dead ball.
-I had to put a Houston fan in his place (who kept taunting our team) by reminding him we have 4 national championships. Felt good. Scratch that, felt great.

Look, a disappointing loss indeed. But in my opinion, there wasn't much more to look into other than the fact that Houston was hitting EVERYTHING, and our shots were simply building a 4 story brick-house. Also, Armani Brooks and Corey Davis are the REAL freaking deal.

Had a blast watching this season, and after watching today's game in person, I've never been so confident in a Coaching Staff. These guys are gonna do it. They have it. I'm telling you, it's happening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
GREAT rundown, RC. Some of the takes from your recap are: 1) Whaley's BBIQ has to be pretty low if he's in the wrong spot all the time - he's had plenty of time on the bench to watch the plays; 1a) same for Sid; 2)as much as we all appreciate Jalen Adams' time here and his loyalty to the program, we'll always wonder what could have been if had dedicated himself into getting into game shape. Jalen, you blew so much money for yourself! 3) Tarin Smith gave me a false sense of his skills early in the year when he was shooting well and playing PG; 4) thanks most of all for your insight into our coaching staff - probably the most positive take from this frystrating season.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Thanks for the insights, RC. As ConnEd says, it really does make you feel better and give some confidence going forward. I LOVED when Hurley got fired up for his team when they made that run in the first half, I believe to tie the score at 18. That was the highlight of the game for me. But let me say this, I understand Jim Calhoun's sideline dialogue was often rated "R" for language, but I really wish it weren't so for Coach Hurley. I just don't think it's a good look for recruits, parents of, and even those of us that occasionally get to take our kids to games. How common is it these days to hear that? I know at one time it was almost the norm, but I had the sense that in this era you really don't hear that sort of thing so much. Unfortunately, I'm not able to attend many games so I really can't say firsthand.

Reaction Score
This is perfect

1552706903541.png

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
thanks for this great insight

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I made the drive over from Nashville, and ended up sitting 1 row behind the UConn bench. Let me tell you, even in a 40pt blowout loss, I enjoyed every minute of watching how Coach Hurley operates. Some of these notes may be old news for the people who frequent the games, but for the fans who don't, I think you may find some of these observations interesting.

-EVERY SINGLE offensive play is orchestrated by Coach Hurley. Furthermore, he's hyper aware of each player's responsibilities during each one of his offensive outings. And If a player was just a little bit off their mark on the court, they'd hear it from him. (I will also note, that at least in the first half, just about all of his X's and O's were generating great shots. The ball just wasn't falling in)
-A little bit into Whaley's first rotation, Coach Hurley yelled towards his assistants: "He forgot the *ing play. Sid, take him out".
-Whaley's next rotation out, he found himself out of position again on offense. Coach Hurley: "Whaley doesn't know the **ing plays!". Subbed him out again. Maybe this is the reason for his lack of minutes this season. Maybe not. Sid Wilson was another culprit of not being in the right spots on a couple offensive plays.
-Kimani Young was brilliant. He seemed to be one step ahead of the game at all times. "Sid, put your hand up." Sid doesn't hear him as he's guarding a Houston player on the 3pt line. "SID, PUT YOUR ****ING HAND UP!". Sid still has his hands down. The Houston player pops the long 3 and makes it. Kimani proceeds to lose a coronary artery. Kimani could also tell which plays Houston was gonna draw up on in-bound plays. He was also constantly prepping Carlton on defense to anticipate certain actions.
-I've always thought that Jalen Adams had conditioning troubles. Today, in person, it was more apparent than ever. He's literally sucking wind with his lips turning a blue'ish hue after just a few up and downs. Hurts him on defense more than anything.
-Coach Hurley directly after a timeout as the bench sits back down: "HEY BENCH, IF I SEE YOU DEAD I'M SENDING YOU %$@ HOME!". We were down 30pts in this moment.
-Having said that, Coach Hurley's exchanges with ALL of his players in person are positive. Constantly high-fiving them, giving them words of encouragement, and building them up. You can tell they genuinely love the guy.
-T. Smith is bad and Coach Hurley knows it deep inside.
-Coach Hurley wanted to take out J. Adams with 4 minutes left. Jalen asked him not to. From there on, Coach Hurley was fixed on getting Jalen a shot up every possession. He lost his marbles when T. Smith drove hard towards the basket instead of kicking it to him.
-The staff is very careful with B. Adams. They treat him softer than everyone else on the team.
-The Culture change that people talk about is abundantly clear. Coach Hurley has his hands on every little minor detail. An example is his obsessiveness with the 5 players on the court huddling after every foul or dead ball.

Look, a disappointing loss indeed. But in my opinion, there wasn't much more to look into other than the fact that they were hitting EVERYTHING, and our shots were simply building a 4 story brick-house. Also, Armani Brooks and Corey Davis are the REAL freaking deal.

Had a blast watching this season, and after watching today's game in person, I've never been so confident in a Coaching Staff. These guys are gonna do it. They have it. I'm telling you, it's happening.

Hey good stuff Card. Enjoyed having a front row observation. One of the best posts of the year.

Cheers

Reaction Score
Ive given you hard times on reporting grades/scores...this insight was great and appreciated. Only thing Id say Adams winded while it fits the narrative, he was injured and game shape after missing time is different anyone who played a sport at any level knows that (not making an excuse for him) just saying

C

Chief00

Good post but quite frankly, a 40 point loss isn’t a positive experience. Whatever we were doing right was overwhelmed by our lack of talent and whatever we were doing wrong.
Next to talent, I agree BBIQ is another area that we need a huge upgrade.
I have my own theory why Jalen lacks endurance but I will keep my thoughts private.
I also agree, I like our coaching staff.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Good post but quite frankly, a 40 point loss isn’t a positive experience. Whatever we were doing right was overwhelmed by our lack of talent and whatever we were doing wrong.
I have my own theory why Jalen lacks endurance but I will keep my thoughts private.

Go away chief report card doesn’t go to your posts and make them about him.

Reaction Score
Is there a magic dragon involved @Chief00??

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I will keep my thoughts private.
No you won't. It's the Boneyard, no one keeps their thoughts private.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can we stop with this?

The kid had an MCL sprain and was out for weeks, of course he was out of shape.
First, I was joking with Chief. I am one of Jalen’s biggest supporters. Check the “Thank you Jalen” thread.

Second, I think Chief is referring to more than last game.

Reaction Score

-A little bit into Whaley's first rotation, Coach Hurley calmly speaking towards his assistants: "He forgot the ****ing play. Sid, take him out".
-Whaley's next rotation out, he found himself out of position again on offense. Coach Hurley yelling this time: "Whaley doesn't know the **ing plays!". Subbed him out again. Maybe this is the reason for his lack of minutes this season. Maybe not. Sid Wilson was another culprit of not being in the right spots on a couple offensive plays.
-Kimani Young was brilliant. He seemed to be one step ahead of the game at all times. "Sid, put your hand up." Sid doesn't hear him as he's guarding a Houston player on the 3pt line. "SID, PUT YOUR ****ING HAND UP!". Sid still has his hands down. The Houston player pops the long 3 and makes it. Kimani proceeds to lose a coronary artery. Kimani could also tell which plays Houston was gonna draw up on in-bound plays. And lastly, he was constantly prepping Carlton on defense to anticipate certain actions.
-I've always thought that Jalen Adams had conditioning troubles. Today, in person, it was more apparent than ever. He's literally sucking wind, his lips turning a blue'ish hue, after just a few up and downs. Hurts him and our team on defense more than anything.
-Coach Hurley directly after a timeout as the bench sits back down: "HEY BENCH, IF I SEE YOU DEAD I'M SENDING YOU %$@!# HOME!". We were down 30pts in this moment.
-T. Smith is bad and Coach Hurley knows it.
-During the technical foul review sequence, down 30 pts, J. Adams stood quiet in the back of the huddle and got very emotional. Had tears running down his face. This is the moment he realized it was all ending (I believe there was still 6-8 minutes left). I felt for the kid, he loves UConn more than we can all imagine.
-Coach Hurley wanted to take out J. Adams with 4 minutes left. Jalen politely asked him to stay in as long as possible. From there on, Coach Hurley was fixed on getting Jalen a shot up every possession. Hurley lost his marbles when T. Smith drove hard towards the basket instead of kicking it to him.
-I had to put a Houston fan in his place (who kept taunting our team) by reminding him we have 4 national championships. Felt good. Scratch that, felt great.

Look, a disappointing loss indeed. But in my opinion, there wasn't much more to look into other than the fact that Houston was hitting EVERYTHING, and our shots were simply building a 4 story brick-house. Also, Armani Brooks and Corey Davis are the REAL freaking deal.

I dispute this. Every offensive play orchestrated? Well we need a new orchestra. He put together plays where Smith, B. Adams, and Sid end up shooting 3’s? They shoot 22% for the season, and while you can’t help the now and then shot by them that is a recipe for failure. This was not a situation of a 40% shooter like Polley going 0-6 that day because he has the green light and will hit them. The others until they prove it, not so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom