Report Card vs Coppin State | The Boneyard

Report Card vs Coppin State

Reaction Score
J. Gaffney- 8.5: Big coming out party for Gaffney. His decisions were crisp and every time he touched the ball he proved effective. His best game in a UConn uniform yet. 8 assists?!? Now let's hit those free throws.
A. Sanogo- 8.5: Still unstoppable. Someone tell me why we shouldn't dump the ball down low to this man EVERY SINGLE PLAY. I don't care if he's quadruple teamed. He was also very effective when the ball wasn't played through him. He scoops up those offensive boards and any loose balls in his vicinity. He's our best player and it isn't even close.
A. Akok- 8.5: A great step up from last game. He needs to stay healthy and keep this juju going. His stock is only going to go up. That 3 ball, that hustle, that smile, what a player.
T. Martin-8.0: Another all around great game. Loving his confidence on the perimeter. Arguably our best defender today, just a menace out there.
R. Cole- 7.5: Pleased with his game. His shot was a little off. He's found ways to improve his defense and UConn nation loves him for it. Needs to throw out that mid range jumper and remember that we have ADAMA (see above).
R. Diggins- 6.5: Loved the little we saw of him. Perhaps we can get him a few more minutes? Pretty please?
I. Whaley- 5.5: Great passes to Sanogo. He's a starter and will be all season, such a presence for us. Disappointed in his 3 pt shot today.
A. Jackson- 5.5: Sorry birthday boy, but he's just such a better player than this. The coaches need to encourage him to shoot that 3 ball, and it should have happened last game. We'll take the 9 rebounds any day though.
S. Johnson- 5.0: Move your hips son! Sanogo had the same issue last year.
T. Polley- 4.5: Needs to recalibrate that sniper. A few clicks actually.

Player of the Match- J. Gaffney: Completely filled that stat sheet and he looked good doing it. Very close 2nd to the monster: Sanago.
Notes- Props to Coppin State for their effort on tired legs; hit some tough shots.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was pretty good, but he took some awful early shots. Maybe chuck it up to being up big, but he’s best when he’s getting shots within the flow of the offense and creating for others. His big question is can he create/penetrate against higher level competition.

Reaction Score
Richie Springs needs some love. I actually think he's given them some quality minutes in both games.
Every time I watch Springs play I wonder why he doesn’t get meaningful minutes. He looks like a player. I go to UVM games and he would dominate at that level.

Reaction Score
Every time I watch Springs play I wonder why he doesn’t get meaningful minutes. He looks like a player. I go to UVM games and he would dominate at that level.
I say the same thing. He just looks like he belongs. Hurley sees him everyday in practice so he knows more than we do but he did say after the CCSU game that he should have put Springs in earlier because he's been great in practice. So of course today he doesn't put him in until there was very little time left. :confused:

Reaction Score
Gaffney was pretty good, but he took some awful early shots. Maybe chuck it up to being up big, but he’s best when he’s getting shots within the flow of the offense and creating for others. His big question is can he create/penetrate against higher level competition.

To answer the big question please refer to last year's Maryland game. Gaffney played his best when the lights got brightest. That counts for an awful lot in my book.

Reaction Score

He would absolutely dominate at that level. The A10 level would be awesome for him. He isn't good enough for NBE basketball right now or he'd be playing.

I'd love to see him stick around and get his degree here regardless . but I just don't see a path to much PT even if Sanogo goes pro.

Reaction Score
He would absolutely dominate at that level. The A10 level would be awesome for him. He isn't good enough for NBE basketball right now or he'd be playing.

I'd love to see him stick around and get his degree here regardless . but I just don't see a path to much PT even if Sanogo goes pro.

Yea or there are like 5 good players in front of him. He can play in the NBE no question.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This team just does not play well at the XL/Civic Center - they don't shoot well there.
I know there have been exceptions in some games but in my mind I see an overall better won/loss percentage playing much more games in Storrs

Reaction Score
This team just does not play well at the XL/Civic Center - they don't shoot well there.
I know there have been exceptions in some games but in my mind I see an overall better won/loss percentage playing much more games in Storrs
I know this has been brought up on here before, but it seems like we have struggled a little bit with the noon start times in Hartford in recent years. IDK why? But it seems like we tend to come out a little flat. Im not trying to argue Gampel vs XL, and I know there Isn’t much we can do to control start times, but I just wanted to point that out.

Reaction Score
Maybe the issue has been discussed in other posts. I haven't researched it, but Duke plays in a comparably sized arena to Gampel and the results speak for themselves even when you consider the quality of their team.

I guess in CT, the powers that be, want to sell more tickets and allow more fans to see the team, and want to keep XL solvent.

If the win ratio considering the quality of opponents at both venues, shows that we do significantly better at Gampel playing quality teams, I guess it would make more sense to play more games at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Maybe the issue has been discussed in other posts. I haven't researched it, but Duke plays in a comparably sized arena to Gampel and the results speak for themselves even when you consider the quality of their team.

I guess in CT, the powers that be, want to sell more tickets and allow more fans to see the team, and want to keep XL solvent.

If the win ratio considering the quality of opponents at both venues, shows that we do significantly better at Gampel playing quality teams, I guess it would make more sense to play more games at Gampel.
Duke is a private school with a huge endowment and plays in the ACC with their TV revenue. Please don’t compare.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Add profitability to that. The pricing at the XL assumes a full house, or at least close to it. If you’re looking at, say, 10,000 in attendance you are much better off in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Duke is a private school with a huge endowment and plays in the ACC with their TV revenue. Please don’t compare.
You might have forgotten the 5 top 10 players they usually have on their roster.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

What I don’t get is- is Hartford really that much of a needlemover in terms of ease of access for the UConn fans in the state? It’s a 30 minute drive from Storrs to Hartford. It’s not like driving around and parking in Hartford is this glorious convenience either.

But yes, the XL can sell some more tickets. Whoopty-do? Are we desperate for those extra ticket sales?

Reaction Score
Maybe donors and/or season ticket holders are older and want the convenience of Hartford and its restaurants and bars. Or, the convenience of close to Hartford restaurants and bars before and after the game.

And it seems donors drive the bus. Just a hunch.

Or, the revenue from the events means less money the State has to pump into Hartford?

Reaction Score
Last year they were not pulling away when they should have. So there's that. "His decisions were crisp"?????? What???

Reaction Score
Add profitability to that. The pricing at the XL assumes a full house, or at least close to it. If you’re looking at, say, 10,000 in attendance you are much better off in Storrs.
CRDA overhead - ounch

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I say the same thing. He just looks like he belongs. Hurley sees him everyday in practice so he knows more than we do but he did say after the CCSU game that he should have put Springs in earlier because he's been great in practice. So of course today he doesn't put him in until there was very little time left. :confused:

He said that and then he put Johnson in first again. Johnson then picked up two quick fouls.

Reaction Score
We should have some say in our home schedule start times. Maybe the Wolfpack hockey team affects things but this season after the noon Binghamton game on Nov. 20 the rest of the XL schedule (6 games) are all late afternoon or night games. In the old Big East we had Saturday night starts more often which were awesome. Providence is a 5 PM Saturday start and Butler is a 4PM Saturday start. They will be bigtime energy games to attend this year for sure. Much better than noon starts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom