rent can expand to? | The Boneyard

rent can expand to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
55k? 65k? ... big enough for big 10? Not all big 10 stadiums are 100k+

Reaction Score
Chicken and egg. As a CT taxpayer no way do I want to fund a bigger stadium for UConn until they sell out the one they have consistently.

Reaction Score
I believe it's 55K, maybe 60K. A 55K-60K seat stadium is just fine for the B1G, and the current Rent size would work for the ACC.

Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue are all in the upper 40K to low 60K capacity range, and all in the ACC w/ excpetption of FSU, UM, and Clemson are in the mid 30K to mid 60K capacity.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why does that link claim the Rent is 44k?

Depending on which article you are referenceing (from when the Rent was still under construction) the capacity after expansion (which can be done in one or two phases & the footings are already in place) is either 55k, 57.5k or 58k. I imagine (considering that every large college stadium had these add on expansions) we could expand again beyond the above if we ever felt it was necessary. One issue on that however is that supposedly there is an agreement between the state and East Hartford that the Rent will never reach 60k. In this case I am sure that if it became necessary some arrangement could be reached but this could well require some cash outlay to East Hartford.

Reaction Score
... And this from the CCEDA website:

The Stadium was designed to meet or exceed NCAA Division 1-A requirements for football, and can also accommodate other grass-surface events such as soccer, rugby and lacrosse. Total stadium capacity is 40,642. The Stadium has been designed with expansion capacity for 50,000 seats.

Where ther is a will there is a way...

Reaction Score
Put a roof on it too ;) We could get 30K for bball, men and women's.....Can someone give Carrier a call, they are in Farmington or nearby. UConn Women vs Tenn/Duke/TAM would pack the place....

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Put a roof on it too ;) We could get 30K for bball, men and women's.....Can someone give Carrier a call, they are in Farmington or nearby. UConn Women vs Tenn/Duke/TAM would pack the place....
That would not get 30k

Reaction Score
To me, this is a no brainer. A commitment to an expanded stadium is one of the few things that UConn and the State of CT can control. Right now we are kind of half pregnant with a huge investment and only a 40,000 seat stadium. A larger (and filled to capacity) stadium will make us much more attractive to the top conferences. The risks of not doing this exceed the risks of a 10-12,000 seat expansion.

Reaction Score
With creative engineering they could expand the stadium as much as needed.

Reaction Score
To me, this is a no brainer. A commitment to an expanded stadium is one of the few things that UConn and the State of CT can control. Right now we are kind of half pregnant with a huge investment and only a 40,000 seat stadium. A larger (and filled to capacity) stadium will make us much more attractive to the top conferences. The risks of not doing this exceed the risks of a 10-12,000 seat expansion.
THERE IS NO DEMAND! If we expand, it ends up looking like we have less fans when we have 15,000 empty seats per game instead of two or three. Not to mention there's a 0% chance the state will fund 10-15k seats for which there is no demand. Having a large stadium that you can't fill doesn't make you attractive to other conferences. We could play in a 100k stadium but the b1g still wouldnt take us if were putting 37k in there every game.

Reaction Score
With creative engineering they could expand the stadium as much as needed.
Indeed. Many of the huge stadiums in college football (probably most of the upper tier schools) today have had renovations adding more seats.

Reaction Score
We need to expand and we should announce it soon. Show conferences and recruits that we are committed to football and we are an attractive school. And, we do have Michigan and Tennesee coming in and we could sell 50k seats to those games easily. In addition, unemployment in the building trades is very high now and this would help the economy. Finally, imagine if we had an athletic department that actually marketed UConn football? We have decent attendance with an attitude that if you build it they will come. You have to invest to grow.

Reaction Score
THERE IS NO DEMAND! If we expand, it ends up looking like we have less fans when we have 15,000 empty seats per game instead of two or three. Not to mention there's a 0% chance the state will fund 10-15k seats for which there is no demand. Having a large stadium that you can't fill doesn't make you attractive to other conferences. We could play in a 100k stadium but the b1g still wouldnt take us if were putting 37k in there every game.

You mean like PITT?

Reaction Score
will jump on the expand bandwagon when everyone is in their seats a little earlier than early in the second quarter. The folks who care enough to post here should be embarassed the stadium is only full from early-mid second quarter to mid-late third quarter.

Reaction Score
We have far too many 'fans' that care more about tailgating than they do about the game.

Reaction Score
will jump on the expand bandwagon when everyone is in their seats a little earlier than early in the second quarter. The folks who care enough to post here should be embarassed the stadium is only full from early-mid second quarter to mid-late third quarter.
I have posted about this many times. This needs to change and I think it will in time.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
... And this from the CCEDA website:

The Stadium was designed to meet or exceed NCAA Division 1-A requirements for football, and can also accommodate other grass-surface events such as soccer, rugby and lacrosse. Total stadium capacity is 40,642. The Stadium has been designed with expansion capacity for 50,000 seats.

Where ther is a will there is a way...

NO one in their right minds approves expansion

A) In this economy
B) Without at least one price increase and preferably two and 10 consective sell outs or better
C) Some arrangement with East Hartford over sound. No more concerts? Harrassment at every turn?

Reaction Score
NO one in their right minds approves expansion

A) In this economy
B) Without at least one price increase and preferably two and 10 consective sell outs or better
C) Some arrangement with East Hartford over sound. No more concerts? Harrassment at every turn?

So, you don't want to take a risk to grow? What if showing commitment to football meant an invitation to the ACC or Big 1G? The increase in media rights would pay for the expansion many times over.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the Big 10 or ACC told you ahead of time that expanding the stadium would lead to an invite, that is a whole nother ballgame. I'm really not sure why that would be a deciding factor in who they invite. I think the Big 10 would start with the assumption that UConn would expand because the demand would then be there.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There's no point in expanding, considering there isn't overwhelming demand given the current capacity.

As long as you can still get tickets in the parking lot for $20 before the game and sit pretty much wherever you would like in the stadium, there's no warranting an expansion.

If, as users have said above, the B1G or ACC had decided our membership contingent on expansion, then The Rent would be expanded in no time.

Reaction Score

Most are, and are rather vocal about it. However, it is the people who post here who are normally in their seats for the band presentation and are there until the final gun. Preaching to the choir.

Reaction Score
Stadium​
College​
Conference​
Capacity​
Opened​
Alumni Stadium Boston College
ACC​
44,500​
1957​
BB&T Field Wake Forest
ACC​
31,500​
1968​
Bobby Dodd Stadium Georgia Tech
ACC​
55,000​
1930​
Byrd Stadium Maryland
ACC​
54,000​
1950​
Carter Finley Stadium NC State
ACC​
57,583​
1966​
Doak Campbell Stadium Florida State
ACC​
84,300​
1950​
Sun Life Stadium Miami
ACC​
76,500​
1987​
Kenan Stadium North Carolina
ACC​
60,000​
1927​
Lane Stadium Virginia Tech
ACC​
66,233​
1965​
Memorial Stadium Clemson
ACC​
81,500​
1942​
Scott Stadium Virginia
ACC​
61,500​
1931​
Wallace Wade Stadium Duke
ACC​
33,941​
1929​

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
my thoughts:
-the 40k rent in hartford was a great starting point. central to ct fans and leads to expanding the fanbase. its a roughly even travel when trying to reach westchester/pk/west mass/ri fans as a expanding the fanbase type attitude.
-on campus, i would have loved a on campus stadium but being real the rent was our best chance at building the program so for the next 50 years we need to put our focus here.
-expanding to 50k ten years from now doesn't get me going. i think 10 years from now we are going to be 40k strong with 32ishk season ticket holders if not better. we are quickly building imo. going to 50k may be what the demand is and would be the safe move but i think that if we expand you go for the home run all in one shot. you expand to 55k-60kish. why? u go a little bigger hoping to continue to build. also that # puts you right in the middle of the average bcs school stadium size. no one can argue with that size considering uconns size/the states size. i just feel that u don't expand to expand, you expand the stadium for the long run and show your in it for the long run.

want a wild idea? sure here it is. lets say we land in the ACC or Big. we have a nice bounce back year under PP in year 2 and this program i gaining steem once again. The MLS is growing in the USA. The state should sell the Rent to a MLS owner looking to put a team in CT, which is a popular soccer state. make that ct soccer team the only pro level team in ct so it doesn't hurt bball/fball tix on the uconn side being a different sport/fan mk. take that 300mil (or w/e the $$ is from the sale) and build a stadium on campus(55k) with better highway connection(a nice connector off 84 or something and show the FC fans that your paying attention by building super 7 so those fans can easily get to 84 to go north) etc, do it up right. keep the basketball split between gampel/hartford for now. during the building of the on campus stadium rent the Rent from the mls team for the couple years...

by now its 2020. the on campus stadium is opening and we have 40kish season tix sold. we lost a few who don't like the travel but for the most part if u were a season tix holder u are in it for the long run. the student section is 8-10kish of the tix holders and its a great atmosphere for gameday. at this point we have a 55k stadium that gets 45k for bad games and sells out for good games. the fball practice facility is just fine and we also have a brand new bball facility there. the baseball/soccer stuff is being upgraded and things are just great in ct sports. downtown storrs project thing is done and now the area is starting to look like a really impressive college town. now u can focus on bball. put a 15k arena next to the fball stadium for bball. no within 30 years u have your 2 big time sports on campus with great facilities all around, its now in uconns culture to travel up to storrs for games and it becomes a tradition of the fanbase. the alum the past 20 years are the building fanbase who really have bought into it all...btw, guy gampel and make a 8k hockey rink out of it or something, now we can play big boy hockey to boot..

Reaction Score
my thoughts:
-the 40k rent in hartford was a great starting point. central to ct fans and leads to expanding the fanbase. its a roughly even travel when trying to reach westchester/pk/west mass/ri fans as a expanding the fanbase type attitude.
-on campus, i would have loved a on campus stadium but being real the rent was our best chance at building the program so for the next 50 years we need to put our focus here.
-expanding to 50k ten years from now doesn't get me going. i think 10 years from now we are going to be 40k strong with 32ishk season ticket holders if not better. we are quickly building imo. going to 50k may be what the demand is and would be the safe move but i think that if we expand you go for the home run all in one shot. you expand to 55k-60kish. why? u go a little bigger hoping to continue to build. also that # puts you right in the middle of the average bcs school stadium size. no one can argue with that size considering uconns size/the states size. i just feel that u don't expand to expand, you expand the stadium for the long run and show your in it for the long run.

want a wild idea? sure here it is. lets say we land in the ACC or Big. we have a nice bounce back year under PP in year 2 and this program i gaining steem once again. The MLS is growing in the USA. The state should sell the Rent to a MLS owner looking to put a team in CT, which is a popular soccer state. make that ct soccer team the only pro level team in ct so it doesn't hurt bball/fball tix on the uconn side being a different sport/fan mk. take that 300mil (or w/e the $$ is from the sale) and build a stadium on campus(55k) with better highway connection(a nice connector off 84 or something and show the FC fans that your paying attention by building super 7 so those fans can easily get to 84 to go north) etc, do it up right. keep the basketball split between gampel/hartford for now. during the building of the on campus stadium rent the Rent from the mls team for the couple years...

by now its 2020. the on campus stadium is opening and we have 40kish season tix sold. we lost a few who don't like the travel but for the most part if u were a season tix holder u are in it for the long run. the student section is 8-10kish of the tix holders and its a great atmosphere for gameday. at this point we have a 55k stadium that gets 45k for bad games and sells out for good games. the fball practice facility is just fine and we also have a brand new bball facility there. the baseball/soccer stuff is being upgraded and things are just great in ct sports. downtown storrs project thing is done and now the area is starting to look like a really impressive college town. now u can focus on bball. put a 15k arena next to the fball stadium for bball. no within 30 years u have your 2 big time sports on campus with great facilities all around, its now in uconns culture to travel up to storrs for games and it becomes a tradition of the fanbase. the alum the past 20 years are the building fanbase who really have bought into it all...btw, guy gampel and make a 8k hockey rink out of it or something, now we can play big boy hockey to boot..

LOL. You want the State to build a highway in Fairfield County to make it easier to get to Storrs 6 or 7 times a year. That's up there with the idea that "all" we have to do is force every CT cable customer to buy a $2 a month package whether they want it or not.

People realize that the State does have other issues on their plate besides the success of UConn football, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom